Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 PM

50 posts, read 227,171 times

Advertisements

specs for new home are based on white oak, but I am not fond of the pronounced grain. Am I better off going to quarter-sawn oak, or to a different species of hardwood that is comparable in price? I lean toward a honey pecan to light cherry tone, nothing too dark or yellow. Whatever I end up with will need to work with the cork planks in the kitchen.

Suggestions? Advice? Cost increase estimates over regular sawn white oak?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 AM

17,542 posts, read 66,628,024 times
I suggest you contact 2-3 local hardwood installers for pricing. Quarter-sawn oak will definitely be more than standard 2-1/4" strip flooring. But the cost maybe justifiable for you and your concerns. Staining obviously will be different also (as far as overall color), due to the lack of grain.
Another to consider- maple.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:06 AM

50 posts, read 227,171 times
my specs are for 3.25" white oak select, which gives me a little more room to comparison shop. I HAVE been checking out various hardwood joints, and am getting some ideas. Saw a Brazilian Kempas wood yesterday, but am betting it is not FSC certified, which is really important to me. Not to mention the embodied energy costs that were involved in getting it from Brazil to NC.

Today I am researching bamboo. I'm eager to get this flooring choice made, since many other design decisions hinge on this.

Thanks for all the input so far.....

Old 04-23-2010, 10:04 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,245,705 times
White oak is a very good wood compared to red oak which varies more in natural color and grain. But of course like anything the quailty of oak can vary as far a grain/color matching.Oak is a very hardwood which makes it idea for wood flooring also. Maple is harder but more expensive. The honey should be no problem if it is a unfinihed hardwood flooring.Normally a honey tint satin is used to even out the grain/color especailly in red oak flooring;cabinets etc.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,504,387 times
White Oak is harder than Ash. Ash is harder than Red Oak. Ash is actually a very affordable wood floor because Ash trees grow in abundance in the Great Lakes Region.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 PM

108 posts, read 403,271 times
Birch is a really good choice and it is about the same price to purchase. It is a honey color. If considering bamboo try Teragren.com it is the best.

Minneapolis Hardwood Floors | Rhodes Hardwood Flooring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating