Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:18 PM

520 posts, read 3,922,403 times

Advertisements

watching a show (house hunters i think) on hgtv the other day where the house they were showing had hardwood flooring on the 2nd floor.

is that pretty popular, to have hard wood instead of carpet?
is that a regional thing?

any realtors here that can chime in and say if that is a +/- to have in your home?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,031,892 times
Its popular here in FL, as well as tile.
People use area rugs to cozy it up.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,680,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
watching a show (house hunters i think) on hgtv the other day where the house they were showing had hardwood flooring on the 2nd floor.

any realtors here that can chime in and say if that is a +/- to have in your home?

thanks
First off, nothing you see or hear on HGTV is true. It's entertainment. HGTV has done more damage to the fall of the construction trades then the current economic depression has.

That said, you want Realtors to chime in? Ain't none left. They all quit due to no business. Fact: 73% of all Realtors have not renewed their license. Interesting huh.

Ok enough truthful honest sarcasm. Hardwood flooring is always well loved due to it's warm feel. And as Kshe said, people like to lay throw rugs over it in various areas which I love to do too.

Now never forget when you say hardwood floors, that means WOOD, many people call that plastic laminate junk hardwood. Funny how that Pergo crap is reputed to be good but particle board carcuses on cabinet boxes are junk. Funny how false statements grow like cancer.

I personally like hardwood floors in my kitchens but don't feel it's practical. Too many sharp and heavy things fall and leave dents. Too much dirt and debris fall on kitchen floors which will ruin the wood. But matching hardwood flooring and cabinets are AWESOME!!!!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
First off, nothing you see or hear on HGTV is true. It's entertainment. HGTV has done more damage to the fall of the construction trades then the current economic depression has.

That said, you want Realtors to chime in? Ain't none left. They all quit due to no business. Fact: 73% of all Realtors have not renewed their license. Interesting huh.

Ok enough truthful honest sarcasm. Hardwood flooring is always well loved due to it's warm feel. And as Kshe said, people like to lay throw rugs over it in various areas which I love to do too.

Now never forget when you say hardwood floors, that means WOOD, many people call that plastic laminate junk hardwood. Funny how that Pergo crap is reputed to be good but particle board carcuses on cabinet boxes are junk. Funny how false statements grow like cancer.

I personally like hardwood floors in my kitchens but don't feel it's practical. Too many sharp and heavy things fall and leave dents. Too much dirt and debris fall on kitchen floors which will ruin the wood. But matching hardwood flooring and cabinets are AWESOME!!!!
I love the thought of a wood floor in a kitchen, but as much as I use mine, drop, spill etc.....what a nightmare!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:33 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,995,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post

thanks
I think it's a plus to a lot of buyers. I'm in Chicago and I'm a Realtor (just for fun, part time), so maybe it is regional, but people definitely seem to like it. I actually live in a house that is entirely hardwood with the exception of the bathrooms, which are stone tile. What I love is that it brings continuity to the house and it definitely keeps allergens down because they're not trapped in the carpet. That's also what I occasionally don't love though; dust has nowhere to go, so it is visible and gets built up in the corners, behind doors, etc. I vacuum these areas with a hand held vacuum pretty often (1 to 3 times a week, depending if I'm having people over).

Overall, I like the hardwood better than carpet. I like that I can stylize the rooms with area rugs yet the house still feels cohesive (unlike what happens when rooms all have different types of carpet, eww). The allergy factor is big for me as well because my husband has allergies to pets and pollen and those things just don't stick to a hardwood floor the way they do to carpet.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,995,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I love the thought of a wood floor in a kitchen, but as much as I use mine, drop, spill etc.....what a nightmare!
It isn't as bad as I thought it might be (our house was new, but we didn't find it in time to pick finishes). I am a huge klutz, so I figured the floor would be ruined within a week, but it has held up very well so far. I am definitely paranoid about spilling liquids though. I'd prefer tile to hardwood in the kitchen, but if the hardwood has a good, durable poly on it, it does well. So far anyway... 3.5 years so far and it still looks as good as new.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:45 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Our house was built in 1966 and has red oak hardwood throughout, even the 2nd floor - so it's nothing new.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
It isn't as bad as I thought it might be (our house was new, but we didn't find it in time to pick finishes). I am a huge klutz, so I figured the floor would be ruined within a week, but it has held up very well so far. I am definitely paranoid about spilling liquids though. I'd prefer tile to hardwood in the kitchen, but if the hardwood has a good, durable poly on it, it does well. So far anyway... 3.5 years so far and it still looks as good as new.
I spill things, and I live with pigs!
I have tile throughout my house, we have had it for 3 years, its held up beautifully, looks like travertine, which I wanted, but wasnt gonna invest the $.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,759 times
Using hard wood is not a new concept but when compared to carpet it is better to use hard wood and it is popular across most of the major cities in USA.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,667,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I have Bruce hardwood 5 inch planks in the kitchen, it looks really good, however it is pre finished, not sure if that makes a difference??

But if it gets wet, (as I have a portable washer that has to roll over to the sink), (ugh) but whatever, so there are a few times there were leaks and the grain on the wood raises, I am not sure if I am explaining it good, but it doesn't feel smooth near the sink area anymore. Also near the windows the same thing has happened, as a few times I was not home and the windows were open, and rain....ugh...

I don't think the floor I chose was durable enough for a kitchen, but I had to match as closley as I could to the rest of the apartment....

Meanwhile, the rest of the floors in the apartment were re-sanded and stained and polyed (so they all match) you can light dynomite off them, and nothing would (wood, LOL ) happen to them...

so while wood is nice in the kitchen, from my experience I would rather have of gotten unfinished wood and stained it to match and I think it would have been more durable.

Live and learn.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating