Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:56 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,682,522 times

Advertisements

What kind of flooring would you recommend for a Florida house? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 07:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
Florida house as in layout, location, or both?

What are the other materials used in the house as far as walls, trim, doors, windows?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:16 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,682,522 times
Both, the house is in Florida and has a very open floor plan. The woodwork is painted white, white kitchen cabinets, ceramic tile in the kitchen, which adjoins these other spaces. I was thinking hardwood floors, but then someone told me that isn't practical for Florida. I don't really like walking on ceramic tiles becaue they always feel cold to me, so I didn't want to go that direction. Then radiant floor heating was suggested, but I don't think I need that in Florida. Any suggestions are welcome as I am not up to date with all of the new materials out there. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,109,189 times
being a former floridian yes you can use hardwood flooring I had neighbors who had hardwood flooring and never had a problem with that . It depends on where in florida you have the house in the north yes you will need that heat furthere south no you wont . ceramic tiles are easier to care for such as sweeping and moping . Good luck to you whatever you decide .

Old 10-26-2010, 05:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Will you have a pool? If so, I would go with tile of some kind.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:25 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,998,206 times
I'm in Florida and I am going with hardwood in the living and dining rooms (currently it's wall-to-wall). We have ceramic in the foyer which seamlessly flows through the hall into the kitchen and into our Florida room. Our family room has a laminate wood floor and that will stay as is. The bedrooms have wall-to-wall which will also stay.

Many people have wood floors here: hardwood, engineered, laminate. The only reason I can think of for why wood wouldn't be practical is if the homeowner never ran the AC in the hot and humid summer.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:16 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,867,648 times
Unless you live directly on the beach and track a lot of sand into the house, which would be abrasive to the finish, wood flooring or laminate is fine down here. We have ceramic tile in kitchen and bathrooms and the horrible original sheet vinyl in the laundry room and wood everywhere else and we love the wood, even though it does seem to require a bit more cleaning effort than the tile does.

Install can be a bit fussier if you're putting it in over slab. Our slab is well above grade so we don't have the moisture issues some have, but they did have to do a good amount of grinding/leveling in order to get the slab level enough to get the flooring to go in right. And engineered is often more encouraged because of those slab and moisture issues than plank flooring is. Just make sure you go with an engineered with a reasonably thick top layer that will allow for multiple refinishes.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,031,892 times
I live in Central Florida, and there is sand everywhere here.
I have tile and hardwood on my own home, no carpet whatsoever. When we moved into this house, we removed the carpet immediately. There must have been 5 pounds of sand just in the foyer, maybe 25 pounds throughout the rest of the house, it was awful!
I usually advise my clients to do hardwood or tile in the heavy traffic areas of the house, and save the carpet for the bedrooms, where there is less likelihood of sand being tracked in.
In tiled and wood floored areas, I always use large area rugs to cut down on echoing.
Oh, radiant heating? Chances are, you are going to have a monolithic foundation, so you are not going to need radiant floor heaters.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
There are other tile options other than ceramic. What about a natural slate or a look alike for natural stone or hardwood?

It's not your grandmother's linoleum anymore!

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/ha...loors-2548.asp

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/luxury-vinyl.html

I have friends in Lake County with ceramic tile that seems very cold in the winter. A little further south in Polk county another couple of friends have a "look alike" hardwood flooring that is a vinyl style, it never seems cold underfoot. There are ways to add floor heat that are just in your more heavily used areas. You can designate where you want the pads to be placed, say along the counter areas of bathrooms and kitchens.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,610,756 times
Default Florida Flooring

I am buying a house in south east florida and need advice on flooring. The house was built in 2003 on a monolithic slab. There is carpeting in the bedrooms and we have allergies so we want to take it out. The soil is sandy and we do not live on or near the beach, it is just sandy everywhere between I95 and the ocean. The living and bath areas have large light colored tile.
I like the wood look for the bedrooms but I am concerned the sand will eventually get tracked in and the floors will scratch. I looked at HD and Lowes and the laminates and "hardwoods" look like the top is very thin and did not notice much of a clear finish to protect the wood. Other than ceramic/porcelain that will work well will vinyl hold up over time. I heard of a new leather look vinyl tile that looks great. We have no dogs but will be using our rear yard to entertain and I know sand will track in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating