Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 AM

269 posts, read 914,467 times

Advertisements

I didn't really care for watching it on TV either though ... there seemed to be a lot of spots where you couldn't follow the puck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,356,000 times
[quote=Northman;6800692] Now Michigan won't get a chance to have the game for years because they'll have to spread it around to the other teams. quote]

At least they only have to spread it around with teams in the north. I can't see this ever taking place in Phoenix or Tampa; and having lived in Columbus for many years, I know from experience that it is too warm to play it there some years.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:18 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,456,515 times
[quote=MICoastieMom;6806949]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Now Michigan won't get a chance to have the game for years because they'll have to spread it around to the other teams. quote]

At least they only have to spread it around with teams in the north. I can't see this ever taking place in Phoenix or Tampa; and having lived in Columbus for many years, I know from experience that it is too warm to play it there some years.
Don't count on it. Knowing Bettman, he'll want to start including the entire league and so he'll push for southern and western teams to host the WC in their domed stadiums where the ice can be refrigerated as it is in the arenas. He already ruined the NHL by putting teams where they don't belong, and I'm sure he'll find a way to ruin the WC, too. Don't put anything past that moron.

I can just see it now: The 2011 Winter Classic.....live from the Georgia Dome in Atlanta! EGAD!!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,359,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawk36 View Post
I didn't really care for watching it on TV either though ... there seemed to be a lot of spots where you couldn't follow the puck.
Follow the guys who are playing the puck.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 01-03-2009 at 08:19 AM..

Old 01-03-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Follow the guys who are playing the puck
Yeah, not to be mean, but if you watch a couple hockey games and you can't follow the puck, you'll probably never be able to, no matter what gimmicks and gadgets the league or the media install for people like you.

I've never had an issue, and none of my friends or family have ever had an issue seeing the puck - either in person or televised. Like the guy said, the flow of the players usually dictates where the puck is anyway.

If you can't follow the puck this might not be the game for you.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 01-03-2009 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: editing sentence above

Old 01-03-2009, 10:58 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,065,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Yeah, not to be mean, but if you watch a couple hockey games and you can't follow the puck, you'll probably never be able to, no matter what gimmicks and gadgets the league or the media install for people like you.

I've never had an issue, and none of my friends or family have ever had an issue seeing the puck - either in person or televised. Like the guy said, the flow of the players usually dictates where the puck is anyway.

If you can't follow the puck this might not be the game for you.
krudmonk and Northman - I believe that txhawk36 was specifically referring to this particular game, having less than conducive sight lines for the TV cameras at Wrigley. Following players is good, but if wanting to see the puck - before the players themselves start flowing that direction - seemed that they could have done slightly better job with the cameras.

As to the game itself, was to watch, esp. the overhead shots. Couple interesting articles:
The Morning Skate: Assessing the Winter Classic - Slap Shot Blog - NYTimes.com
Was the Winter Classic a classic? Writers from around the country weigh in | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Old 01-03-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
krudmonk and Northman - I believe that txhawk36 was specifically referring to this particular game, having less than conducive sight lines for the TV cameras at Wrigley.
Acknowledged. Apologies to txhawk36. The puck following issue was something I'd been wanting to vent about, but that was an inappropriate spot to do so.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:48 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,534,772 times
This may make the Winter Classic less of an unique event, but if I was Bettman and really wanted to give good pub to the NHL......why not have a preseason game in the green zone in Iraq, just for our troops? The WWE does this and gets good pub (and lots of love from the troops when they go there). I think they do it during the holidays. I think the enthusiasm for an actual sport would be higher in Iraq for the troops.
Canada has troops in Afganisthan, however, I'm not sure if there is anything there that would be as safe as the Green Zone is in Iraq?

Old 01-03-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
This may make the Winter Classic less of an unique event, but if I was Bettman and really wanted to give good pub to the NHL......why not have a preseason game in the green zone in Iraq, just for our troops? The WWE does this and gets good pub (and lots of love from the troops when they go there). I think they do it during the holidays. I think the enthusiasm for an actual sport would be higher in Iraq for the troops.
Canada has troops in Afganisthan, however, I'm not sure if there is anything there that would be as safe as the Green Zone is in Iraq?
I understand your good intentions, but can't support your idea. Nobody that isn't essential to the military mission should be going over there, and the NHL players union would never allow it.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:36 PM

269 posts, read 914,467 times
Thanks for sticking up for me ShadowCaver ... that is exactly what I meant. I can keep up with games pretty well normally. I consider myself to be a pretty big hockey fan, flying to Chicago earlier this year to see them get killed by Detroit, planning on flying to Detroit in April to get an awesome hockey experience ... oh and I named my son after my favorite hockey player ... Trevor Linden ... I promise I have some hockey knowledge, and hockey is definately a game for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey