Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,653,846 times

Advertisements

I'm a big Maple Leafs fan and have been for a while but I also like the Islanders (the Leafs - Isles rivalry hasn't got anything to it. it kicked off after the Tucker hit on Peca but Peca is in Toronto now so it hasn't got any meaning any more) and the Oilers. I'm so psyched that we've got Blakey for next season, he should be awesome!

I never thought I'd be saying this but I kind of feel a bit sorry for the Sabres. Losing Briere and Drury in the same day was rough. They must be feeling sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 01:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,444,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wboyce03 View Post
I'm a big Maple Leafs fan and have been for a while but I also like the Islanders (the Leafs - Isles rivalry hasn't got anything to it. it kicked off after the Tucker hit on Peca but Peca is in Toronto now so it hasn't got any meaning any more) and the Oilers. I'm so psyched that we've got Blakey for next season, he should be awesome!

I never thought I'd be saying this but I kind of feel a bit sorry for the Sabres. Losing Briere and Drury in the same day was rough. They must be feeling sick.
Theyre feeling sick from STILL not getting the Cup, after many great seasons.

I still doubt they feel as bad as the Preds and their fans.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:55 PM

718 posts, read 2,362,732 times
Huge Nashville Predators fan! Never really cared about hockey until the Preds moved to Nashville in 1998, went to a free game on a New Year's Day and was hooked. Season tickets bought until we moved to Texas. I have a feeling the Predators will not be moving, not at least for the next 4 years. I have been watching from afar, and even though a lot of our free agents were traded, we still have a solid team and all the grass root efforts taking place in Nashville are going to meet the required attendance figures for next year.

The problem in Nashville is not a lack of support. Nashville has the one highest rate of individual season ticket holders in the league. The problem is they have the lowest rate of corporate season ticket holders in the NHL. Corporate support is lacking. Hopefully with the threat of moving, the corporations will realize what they are about to lose and step up to the plate!

IMO, KC and LV will be in the same position Nashville is a some time. I feel strongly that 9 seasons is not enough time to tell if something is going to work or not. The Predators need to stay in Nashville for the all the teams in the NHL that are having trouble filling seats and all the teams who were put in non traditional markets and told by the superior Canadians they would never make it! (OK, I'll get off my soap box now)

Old 07-17-2007, 02:11 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,653,846 times
Yeah, it really sucked to be a Nashville fan at the end of last season. They were so strong to start with but then just caved in in the playoffs.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
Huge Nashville Predators fan! Never really cared about hockey until the Preds moved to Nashville in 1998, went to a free game on a New Year's Day and was hooked. Season tickets bought until we moved to Texas. I have a feeling the Predators will not be moving, not at least for the next 4 years. I have been watching from afar, and even though a lot of our free agents were traded, we still have a solid team and all the grass root efforts taking place in Nashville are going to meet the required attendance figures for next year.

The problem in Nashville is not a lack of support. Nashville has the one highest rate of individual season ticket holders in the league. The problem is they have the lowest rate of corporate season ticket holders in the NHL. Corporate support is lacking. Hopefully with the threat of moving, the corporations will realize what they are about to lose and step up to the plate!

IMO, KC and LV will be in the same position Nashville is a some time. I feel strongly that 9 seasons is not enough time to tell if something is going to work or not. The Predators need to stay in Nashville for the all the teams in the NHL that are having trouble filling seats and all the teams who were put in non traditional markets and told by the superior Canadians they would never make it! (OK, I'll get off my soap box now)
Nice post! Are you on hockeybuzz.com by any chance?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:18 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,068,419 times
statefan, I hope ya are right - even tho' the Preds have absolutely crushed my Blues - yas have an excellent fan base, lots of loyal true blue type fans. I've a couple friends in that area, and they really dig the team. Best wishes to the team and the city.

As to the Blues, also great to hear that the local fans are showing some affection, esp. after our dismal season this past year - terrible in both points and attendance. With the leadership showing some good/positive moves, and the players themselves being energetic, going to be a great year! Check out the article here: STLtoday - Sports - Blues (broken link)

Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 AM

I hear you got Tkachuk back. Very cool.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,068,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I hear you got Tkachuk back. Very cool.
Actually, unless he has/will/is changing his stripes, I am not a fan of his playing, at least based on what he did [or should say didn't do] when he wore the note here last. He has much potential, a lot of grit and power and talent - but,,, damn, between injuries and lack of gumption, was not impressed with his playing, esp. given the amount of dollars he is payed. Hopefully, he will be a new guy here - cause we are gonna need this gritty playing from him, crashing the net, and such. And not disappearing, as past reputation, during the playoffs - as Demitri, who I really really liked, also seemed to do.

Really miss Shanny... and was hoping that Keith would have been a player w/ not just that size, grit, power, but also the attribute of staying more with it. True, not fair to either to directly compare, but still...

Give me a guy like Jamal anyday - he will fight, scrape, and muggle his way to get a goal, to help his team, no matter the cost to himself, while still being smart about it all.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Nice post! Are you on hockeybuzz.com by any chance?
I have registered on hockeybuzz, but never posted. I like to know what is going on, but some of those people have way too strong opinions for me (like the Canadian fans). I realize hockey is a business and people need to make money, but fans have a right to fight for their team. Most people on hockeybuzz.com act like the fans are fools for standing up to keep their team and it is only a matter of time before the end comes anyway.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
statefan, I hope ya are right - even tho' the Preds have absolutely crushed my Blues - yas have an excellent fan base, lots of loyal true blue type fans. I've a couple friends in that area, and they really dig the team. Best wishes to the team and the city.

As to the Blues, also great to hear that the local fans are showing some affection, esp. after our dismal season this past year - terrible in both points and attendance. With the leadership showing some good/positive moves, and the players themselves being energetic, going to be a great year! Check out the article here: STLtoday - Sports - Blues (broken link)
I know, the Blues had a very bad year against the Predators. But with Kariya on board, plus Tkachuk back, they should have a better year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey