Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:05 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,492,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Yeah, you're right! I'm tellin' half-truths again!

You'd have to admit though, between all the good players from Canadian teams leaving for U.S. teams and before the strike/rule change-that windowframe or era, the Red Wings were of something like the Yankees by outbiding the competition, hence getting all the high talent players-and like the Yankees, they should of won it just every year!

Hey, Steve-o...we're about the same age...remember the Maple Leaf Garden?...to me, that was a true ice-arena! It seemed to be the epitome of what an ice rink should be. (IMO)

As far as the Blackhawks...i know the feeling..i am a loyal Tigers fan and as you well know, they've stunk for a long time up until this year. Hang in there for another fifty years for your beloved Blackhawks! (*rimshot*)
I never spent too much time looking into the Leafs, so I cant really honestly say too much about the Leaf Garden. Now the Boston Garden is another story...

Poor Tigers though, I really wanted to see them win because A) theyre White Sox rivals and B) Im a Cubs fan, so I hate the Cards. BOO St. Louis, BOO!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Well, here's the guy who inspired me to play at the high school level. This is Bobby Orr, who was one of the greatest play makers ever. The attached pic was taken just after he scored the Stanley cup winning goal in 1970 against St. Louis. These days any of the original six could win the cup and I'd be ok with it. I do have soft spots, however, for teams like Buffalo, Ottawa and Edmonton. Actually, I guess any Canadian team gets my support come playoff time with the sole exception being Montreal. (sorry, too much of a stretch to love the B's and root for the C's)

The old stadiums like Maple Leaf Gardens, Montreal Forum, Boston Garden and Chicago Stadium made for great games with their tiny rinks.

Steve-o: How'd that Chicago - Boston Game turn out?
I still love that picture of Orr and his OT goal, that was a classic Stanley Cup moment. There is a painting of that scene ya know. As for the Hawks-Bruins game, it was 4-0 Boston, then we scored 3 goals in 5 minutes of play I think it was, it was a really good game BUT we still lost another heartbraker. We've now lost 7 in a row. Everyone was talkin about Savard like he was a God (our Savard, not yours) takin over the team. Pffft, yeah, weve got ALOT to show for it.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:34 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,950,150 times
Hey guys, I'll start a thread under "other topics" for pics from the NHL All-Star events. I've not gotten mine developed yet to download but there are some others that have already gotten them online and I will post the links for ya. Went yesterday for the 99 Stanley Cup Reunion - AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ludwig riding in on the chopper built by OC w/ a special place to hold The Cup. Modano carried it up to the platform. MAN, it was GREAT!!! Enjoyed all of the festivities outside then went into the AAC for everything else. They had some of the retired GREATS there and honored them on the ice. Presented each team for the playoffs seperately and each did a full team practice on the ice. Pretty cool. Today we have the Red Carpet Arrivals and the YoungStars Game and the Skills Competition. WOO-HOO!!!!!

Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 AM

Did Gretzky show up? What about Yzerman? Any other greats?

Old 01-23-2007, 09:53 AM

Lemieux was there - got a standing o when he was introduced. Brett Hull (gave thanks to his dad). Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, Phil Housley, Al MacInnis, Mark Messier, Larry Murphy, Joe Nieuwendyk, Adam Oates (Hull and Oates, lol), Luc Robitaille. They were all presented banners they signed and then they were donated. Hubby wants the Nieuwe and Hull ones if they ever get auctioned off. HA! Then off course for us Stars fans they had some of the 99 Cup Champions there. It was a blast. There are more players from around the league in town (retired and current) but I have not seen them or they have not been involved in the events so far.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:00 AM

Dang, was that televised? I missed it! Thats cool to see Hull there! Him and Gretzky WERE the Blues.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 AM

Last night it was on Fox Sports Network. Tonights events and tomorrows game here in the Dallas area will be on Versus.

We get to see Hull all the time now that he is here w/ the management or media or whoever he is working w/ now, lol.
Gretzky, see him too when we play Phoenix. He is sooooo serious over there.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Last night it was on Fox Sports Network. Tonights events and tomorrows game here in the Dallas area will be on Versus.

We get to see Hull all the time now that he is here w/ the management or media or whoever he is working w/ now, lol.
Gretzky, see him too when we play Phoenix. He is sooooo serious over there.
Heck, Id be serious too if I had to coach a sucky team. We need him up HERE to coach our sucky team! Id like to see him coach Edmonton.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 PM

66 posts, read 489,610 times
i'll chime in we moved to wasteland america, farmington,nm from Minneapolis... 14 months ago. guess what was a North Stars fan till that other country stole em' lol I did enjoy the Wild they seem to be playing much better since Gaborik has been back.

We will be moving soon to maryland so I guess I am a capitals fan GO Ovechkin! real excited about going to see a game again.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:00 PM

8,000 posts, read 9,205,999 times
Default Playoffs

Some really good playoff games so far, even some good fights. Feels like old
school Toe Blake hockey. Don't forget the foil!!!!!
(Now we'll see which forum members get it, and which think I must be insane)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey