Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:12 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,647,632 times

Advertisements

I never truely expected Smyth to stay for a long time anyway to be honest. Snow has been awesome recently though in netting the big four, Guerin, Comrie, Fedotenko and Sim. They're all big names who can produce and he's done a great job in bringing them to the Island. Can't wait to see them all playing together and gelling next year, they're going to be a force!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 07:01 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,320 times
I also like the fact that Snow didn't get sucked into throwing money away on the Souray Sweepstakes. He's showing real common sense which has been rare in the history of Isles GMs since Torrey. Now if he can just get Markov to be reasonable...

Gotta ask: An Islanders fan across The Pond? Can you get games on satellite (is it SkyTV)?

Old 07-30-2007, 02:37 PM

There's one game a week on Channel 5 (it's shown live though so it finishes at about 4am) unless you subscribe to NASN (North American Sports Network) in which case you get at least one game a day during the season and all of the playoff games. It's pretty expensive but you get so much for your money that I think I'm going to shell out come next season.

Also if there aren't any Isles games on tv I can always watch the highlights on Islanders TV.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:54 PM

172 posts, read 608,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Anyone else seen the new Sharks logo yet? Don't know what you all think but I think it looks awesome! (New uniforms to be unveiled in September.)

I AGREE, wow, that is awesome. The Sharks are becoming the NHL's version of the Bills in a way, but I think this season they will HAVE to make the western confrence finals or something big will happen down at the SharkTank.....they are my second favorite team, after the Ave's of course

Old 07-30-2007, 08:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
The new logo looks better, but its a little cartoonish for my tastes. Im a fan of the classic sweaters: Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, NY, etc.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Is Ashram still with the Isles? I thought I read that before the free agent signing period that they only had 6 forwards signed?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:09 AM

Asham seems to be in limbo at the moment. I haven't heard or read a word on his status in a dog's age.

I'm guessing that today we'll hear something on the outcome of Trent Hunter's arbitration hearing. The consensus is that the Isles will accept whatever number the arbitrator comes up with and that'll be that. (A complete contrast to the Sean Avery debacle, LOL!)

I'm amazed that Markov is still doing his "Alexei Yashin" impression, contract-wise (and he'll probably end up playing in Russia next season as well). I'd have liked to see him on the Isles but not if he's under the delusion that he's the Chris Drury of available defensemen......

Call me crazy but I wouldn't be entirely upset to see Berard back here. Or Caber, now that Milbury's finally gone.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:41 AM

I really hope Asham returns for the 07/08 season. He's always been one of my favourite players. He's a great skater, makes great passes, can score his fair share of goals and can handle himself when the gloves get dropped. Overall a very exciting player to watch and in my opinion one of the most underrated names in the league.

As for Markov I'd love him to come to the Island but he's got to get realistic with this contract situation. If he played on a line with Brendan Witt we'd have the toughest defensive pairing in the league!

Old 08-03-2007, 01:31 PM

Witt is one of my two favorite current Isles. The other is Mike Sillinger.

The only regret I have about them getting Guerin is that it immediately quashed any chance of Sillinger being given the "C" (which I think he clearly showed his worthiness for, last season). Let's hope that at least they give "Silly" the A again, anyway.

D.P. has visibly matured compared to his previous season (I didn't end up yelling "%*&&$!#, get back in your *&*&&^%$ net!!" nearly as often as before...) but when he does gamble at the wrong time, it can have truly disastrous results. The last thing we need is a "Lindros"-head in net....

Oh, for the chance of ever getting Kenny Jonsson back..... but I know it's a pipedream.

Former fave Isles of mine have been (in alphabetical order):

Mike Bossy

Ron Hextall (when he was still crazy)

Darius Kasparaitis (when he was still hip-checking opponents, crashing his cars and boats, and unbelieveably fracturing the English language)

Brent Severyn (I got to know him a bit while he was here, helluva nice guy and one who left 1001% of himself on the ice every practice and game. He's got a heart as big as a Euro rink when it comes to kids. Ask any of the Dallas Stars who lobbied the NHL to get his name added to the Cup even though by "the book" he didn't qualify because he wasn't in the lineup for any of the playoff games. They felt he deserved it just as much as they did, Mike Keane led the push for the NHL to okay it, and to their credit they agreed and Sevy's name is on the Cup; there IS justice in the hockey world sometimes. He even got to revisit the Cup this year, in a way: He became the Ducks' color commentator in 2006!)

Billy Smith

Old 08-07-2007, 12:32 PM

Nooooo, Asham has signed with the Devils. (http://devils.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=335695 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey