Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 02:19 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,774,131 times

Advertisements

I was combing through some profiles of professional hockey teams on Forbes, and I was shocked to see that the finances for the Blues aren't in good shape. The team has been competitive, and the fans have done a good job of supporting the team, but this profile says that they have a bad TV deal and not much revenue coming from the arena. This entire scenario sounds eerily similar to the scenario that drove the Penguins into bankruptcy in 1998. The Penguins had good fan support (contrary to popular perception), but they also had the most expensive lease in the NHL on the most obsolete arena in the NHL, and their TV deal at the time wasn't very lucrative either. The Blues have a relatively new arena, so their arena revenue situation probably isn't as dire as it was for the Penguins, but their TV deal sounds worse. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel there? When does the TV contract expire? I'd hate to see the Blues enter bankruptcy, but they've had operating losses for eight consecutive years. Is there anything that can be done to make things better? I'd like to see the Blues stay and thrive in St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 02:19 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,977 times
The Blues are looking very good heading into the playoffs. However, the Western Conference is once again very strong and deep in high quality teams this year. I still think the Wild is the most dangerous team in the West. I would not be surprised to see them advancing at least to the Conference Finals. As I said before, this is going to be an incredible playoff season in the West. The East has some great teams again this year, but I see the eventual Cup winner coming out of the West again this year.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:30 PM

9,776 posts, read 7,493,526 times
I could see the Blues having difficulty with the Preds/Blackhawks winner. I know the Blues won the season series vs. Chicago, but the playoffs are a whole new season, and that's what the Blackhawks sleepwalk through the regular season to get ready for. As for the Preds, Pekka Rinne will be the best player for the Preds on the ice, and if the best player is your goalie, you can be pretty successful. I've got the Blues advancing out of the West anyways, but as Texan said it definitely won't be easy.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:15 AM

53 posts, read 122,295 times
I just found this forum and this thread. I didn't even know an NHL forum existed on this site. GO BLUES!!!

Old 04-19-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlbluesgirl View Post
I just found this forum and this thread. I didn't even know an NHL forum existed on this site. GO BLUES!!!
Fellow Blues fan here who used to live in St. Louis for 42 years and now lives in Texas. Go Blues! They have a tough road to the Stanley Cup Finals round though as all Western Conference teams do. Looked good in Game 2. The team that showed up in Game 1 took a period and a half to even get going. They came out with high energy in Game 2 and it lasted all game long. We needed Tarasenko to step it up yesterday and he surely did that with the hat trick!

Old 04-19-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I could see the Blues having difficulty with the Preds/Blackhawks winner. I know the Blues won the season series vs. Chicago, but the playoffs are a whole new season, and that's what the Blackhawks sleepwalk through the regular season to get ready for. As for the Preds, Pekka Rinne will be the best player for the Preds on the ice, and if the best player is your goalie, you can be pretty successful. I've got the Blues advancing out of the West anyways, but as Texan said it definitely won't be easy.
If and it's a BIG IF, the Blues get past the Wild, they will definitely have their hands full with Nashville or Chicago. The winner of that would go into round 3 fairly beat up.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:33 PM

Another disappointing season for the Blues. Another first round exit. Just so frustrating. I think Coach Hitchcock is going to be let go.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:34 PM

Hitchcock is signed for another year. Blues now need to worry about signing young stars Vladimir Tarasenko and Jake Allen to bigger contracts and seeing which older players can be shed to make room in the salary cap. Wouldn't mind seeing somebody replace David Backes as captain and I wouldn't be surprised if the Blues traded TJ Oshie and some others.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:36 PM

The Blues sign Tarasenko to a big long term deal and trade TJ Oshie to the Caps. Good moves on their part. Still awaiting more roster changes.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Hitchcock is signed for another year. Blues now need to worry about signing young stars Vladimir Tarasenko and Jake Allen to bigger contracts and seeing which older players can be shed to make room in the salary cap. Wouldn't mind seeing somebody replace David Backes as captain and I wouldn't be surprised if the Blues traded TJ Oshie and some others.
If the Blues don't make the Stanley Cup Finals next year, Hitchcock is gone. He is on a one year deal. I think for Hitch, it's Finals or gone, especially with the roster changes that are supposed to be making this team go deep into the playoffs. Blues fans are upset and others outside the Blues laugh at their lack of playoff success. They are not to be taken seriously until they win a Cup with all the talent they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey