Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:35 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,365,386 times

Advertisements

Cue the music of Andy Williams "It's the most wonderful time of the year".

We are done with the regular season and ready for the best time which is the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs, so with that in mind here are my thoughts and predictions for every series in the first round:

Eastern Conference:
#1 Capitals versus #8 Rangers-Caps were in same spot last year; however, they are markedly different as a defensive-minded team versus the offensive juggernaut that couldn't score against the Canadiens last year. The additions of Arnott and Wideman have paid huge for the Caps and will be key for them to go deep this year. Even as a #8 seed the Rangers are very tough and physical, they are very well coached by John Torterella so this will not be a cakewalk for the Caps.
Key to series: Return of Green/Poti/Wideman.
Prediction: Caps in 6

#2 Flyers vs. #7 Sabres-Flyers had a lackluster finish to the regular season but still are a fantastic team, they will be expected to go deep and become the favorites to represent the Eastern Conference in the final. Sabres are hot and cold and it will be interesting to see which team shows up as they can't rely on Miller alone to win.
Key to series: Can Sabres match Flyers intensity?
Prediction: Flyers in 5

#3 Bruins vs. #6 Canadiens-This is the best matchup of the first round, 2 of the original 6 square off. Both teams have good quality players and I predict this series will go 7 games.
Key to series: Tim Thomas
Prediction: Bruins in 7

#4 Penguins vs. #5 Lightning-First time meeting for these two teams in a playoff setting. Even with the losses of Crosby, Malkin and Cooke, the Penguins nearly overtook the Flyers in the Atlantic Division. The Lightning had a down last couple of weeks letting the Caps overtake them in the SE division. Both teams have excellent offensive firepower and excellent goaltenders
Key to series: Will Crosby return?
Prediction: Lightning in 7

Western Conference:

#1 Canucks vs. #8 Blackhawks-The defending champs had to pin their hopes on the Stars losing to the Wild tonight to get back in the playoffs. The loss of Niemi and Byfuglien has made a huge difference and the Canucks will expose the Blackhawks weaknesses easily.
Key to series: Can the Sedin's be stifled?
Prediction: Vancouver in 4

#2 Sharks vs. #7 Kings-Norcal vs. SoCal series, the Sharks are a lot like the Caps with playoff futility. This series will be a question of which team will show up, both have big guns and good goaltending.
Key to series: Can the Sharks put together a complete effort?
Prediction: Sharks in 6

#3 Red Wings vs. #6 Coyotes-Wings are making their 20th straight appearance in the playoffs but they are getting older. Coyotes have shown a lot of promise the last couple of weeks winning key games and their youth may be the key to this series.
Key to series: Wings experience versus Coyotes youth
Prediction: Wings in 6

#4 Ducks vs. #5 Predators-Could be another good series as the Ducks with Rocket Richard winner Corey Parey goes up against Barry Trotz' Predators.
Key to series: Can Perry keep up his scoring touch?
Prediction: Ducks in 6

Games start Wednesday night

Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 PM

613 posts, read 1,058,984 times
Bruins vs canucks in finals
Bruins in 6

Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,069,464 times
Let's Go Red Wings!

Trying like mad to access tickets. Ticketmaster will not process my order and the Yotes ticket office is unmanned on Sunday nights. Will have to call first thing tomorrow.

Vancouver is sick! But I think Detroit can get the job done and return to the Finals.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 PM

8,832 posts, read 10,333,402 times
I said Chicago would be the champs before the playoffs last season. This season I don't know who I'm getting a good vibe from. Washington is overdue for a deep run but I don't know. How many of us thought Philadelphia and Montreal would be in the ECF's last season?

Just for kicks here I'll say Phoenix and Philadelphia meet in the finals with Philadelphia winning it all in 6 games.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:24 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,365,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
Bruins vs canucks in finals
Bruins in 6
Matthew Barnaby agrees with you steve!

NHL network guys think Flyers/Sabres go to 7 with Flyers winning.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:27 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,541,162 times
Hawks take the whole thing as the 8 seed

Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 PM

14,207 posts, read 22,920,257 times
Eastern Conference Quarterfinals

#1 Washington vs. #8 New York Rangers
Result: Capitals in 6

#2 Philadelphia vs. #7 Buffalo
Result: Flyers in 5

#3 Boston vs. #6 Montreal
Result: Canadiens in 7

#4 Pittsburgh vs. #5 Tampa Bay
Result: Penguins in 6

Western Conference Quarterfinals

#1 Vancouver vs. #8 Chicago
Result: Canucks in 5

#2 San Jose vs. #7 Los Angeles
Result: Sharks in 5

#3 Detroit vs #6 Phoenix
Result: Red Wings in 6

#4 Anaheim vs. #5 Nashville
Result: Ducks in 7

Eastern Conference Semifinals

#1 Washington vs. #6 Montreal
Result: Capitals in 7

#2 Philadelphia vs. #4 Pittsburgh
Result: Flyers in 6

Western Conference Semifinals

#1 Vancouver vs. #4 Anaheim
Result: Canucks in 4

#2 San Jose vs. #3 Detroit
Result: Red Wings in 6

Eastern Conference Finals

#1 Washington vs. #2 Philadelphia
Result: Flyers in 7

Western Conference Finals

#1 Vancouver vs. #3 Detroit
Result: Canucks in 5

STANLEY CUP FINALS

#1 Vancouver vs. #2 Philadelphia
Result: Flyers in 7

Old 04-11-2011, 04:19 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,140,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Cue the music of Andy Williams "It's the most wonderful time of the year".

We are done with the regular season and ready for the best time which is the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs, so with that in mind here are my thoughts and predictions for every series in the first round:

Eastern Conference:
#1 Capitals versus #8 Rangers-Caps were in same spot last year; however, they are markedly different as a defensive-minded team versus the offensive juggernaut that couldn't score against the Canadiens last year. The additions of Arnott and Wideman have paid huge for the Caps and will be key for them to go deep this year. Even as a #8 seed the Rangers are very tough and physical, they are very well coached by John Torterella so this will not be a cakewalk for the Caps.
Key to series: Return of Green/Poti/Wideman.
Prediction: Caps in 6

#2 Flyers vs. #7 Sabres-Flyers had a lackluster finish to the regular season but still are a fantastic team, they will be expected to go deep and become the favorites to represent the Eastern Conference in the final. Sabres are hot and cold and it will be interesting to see which team shows up as they can't rely on Miller alone to win.
Key to series: Can Sabres match Flyers intensity?
Prediction: Flyers in 5

#3 Bruins vs. #6 Canadiens-This is the best matchup of the first round, 2 of the original 6 square off. Both teams have good quality players and I predict this series will go 7 games.
Key to series: Tim Thomas
Prediction: Bruins in 7

#4 Penguins vs. #5 Lightning-First time meeting for these two teams in a playoff setting. Even with the losses of Crosby, Malkin and Cooke, the Penguins nearly overtook the Flyers in the Atlantic Division. The Lightning had a down last couple of weeks letting the Caps overtake them in the SE division. Both teams have excellent offensive firepower and excellent goaltenders
Key to series: Will Crosby return?
Prediction: Lightning in 7

Western Conference:

#1 Canucks vs. #8 Blackhawks-The defending champs had to pin their hopes on the Stars losing to the Wild tonight to get back in the playoffs. The loss of Niemi and Byfuglien has made a huge difference and the Canucks will expose the Blackhawks weaknesses easily.
Key to series: Can the Sedin's be stifled?
Prediction: Vancouver in 4

#2 Sharks vs. #7 Kings-Norcal vs. SoCal series, the Sharks are a lot like the Caps with playoff futility. This series will be a question of which team will show up, both have big guns and good goaltending.
Key to series: Can the Sharks put together a complete effort?
Prediction: Sharks in 6

#3 Red Wings vs. #6 Coyotes-Wings are making their 20th straight appearance in the playoffs but they are getting older. Coyotes have shown a lot of promise the last couple of weeks winning key games and their youth may be the key to this series.
Key to series: Wings experience versus Coyotes youth
Prediction: Wings in 6

#4 Ducks vs. #5 Predators-Could be another good series as the Ducks with Rocket Richard winner Corey Parey goes up against Barry Trotz' Predators.
Key to series: Can Perry keep up his scoring touch?
Prediction: Ducks in 6

Games start Wednesday night
I expect at least one of the top 3 in each conference will lose in the 1st round.

I'm hoping that's not the Bruins, but they do have a tough matchup.

I'll go with the Sabres upsetting the Fliers in the east, the Sabres have been playing playoff games for the last 6 weeks and they have a great goalie.

and the Kings upsetting the Sharks in the west.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:02 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,568,784 times
Prediction.....Vancouver vs. Pittsburgh (if Pittsburgh gets Crosby back in the next 2 weeks)....otherwise, Vancouver vs. Boston.
Not the teams I'd like to see in the final (at least Pittsburgh and Boston), but just a neutral prediction.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 PM

8,065 posts, read 9,285,187 times
East
Rangers in 6 Lundquist steals a series
Sabres in 7 Flyers have been awful the past few weeks
Bruins in 5 Too big and deep for Canadians
TB in 6 Not enough fire power with Sid and Malkin out

West
Hawks in 7 Canucks always find a way to choke
Sharks in 6 Everyone is off SJ bandwagon so this might be their year
Wings in 6 Deep team can play playoff style D
Ducks in 5 Great 1st line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey