Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 12:59 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I say this with a chuckle Ulsterman, try not to doubt your ability of 'storytelling' as I'd say it's on par with ones motivation to do so. Well done.

Oddly enough (maybe not, all things considered) I do read a great deal concerning the Ulster Scots, which is largely due to researching ancestry. So, that is how I come across information that I had not been looking for in the first place and it always (and usually) brings me to places and people I was unaware of but always enlightened by the discovery.

The Contribution of ULSTER to the UNITED STATES of AMERICA

Ideally suited for the new life by reason of their experience as pioneers in Ulster, their qualities of character and their Ulster Scottish background, they made a unique contribution to the land of their adoption. They became the frontiersmen of colonial America, clearing the forests to make their farms and, as one would expect, they had the defects as well as the qualities of pioneers.

President Theodore Roosevelt described them as "a grim, stern people, strong and powerful for good and evil, swayed by gusts of stormy passion, the love of freedom rooted in their very hearts' core..." They suffered terrible injuries at the hands of the red men, and on their foes they waged terrible warfare in return. They were also upright, resolute, fearless, and loyal to their friends, devoted to their country.

The Contribution of ULSTER to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

ETA: If this has already been noted previously...move on.
The link you gave says it all. A very complete picture of the Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish'

A clip from Eagle's Wing. The ship of that name sailed from Groomsport in 1634 but had to turn back because of the weather. The first successful crossing in any numbers was from Larne in the 1700s

I was at this show in the Titantic Quarter. It was packed. The clips inside this clip were part of the show Apologies if you have already seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=J3Cm4vmciXo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 03:19 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
''It is doubtful if we fully realized the part played by this stern and virile people. They formed the kernel of that American stock who were the pioneers of our people in the march westwards. They were bold and hardy people who pushed the settled regions of America and plunged into the wilderness as the leaders of the white advance. The Presbyterians were the first and last set of immigrants to do this: all others have merely followed in the wake of their predecessors''

President Theodore Roosevelt

SCDAH

https://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/mcc...-massacre.html

see if these links work.

An example only of how tough they were, when the convoy was set upon by the Cherokee, Catherine Montgomery Stewart Calhoun (the grandmother) put herself between the grandchildren and the indians giving some of the children time to hide or run away. She was hacked to pieces. Two days later the 'recovery party' got there and found children wandering around scalped and some with hatchets still in their heads. My own ancestor and his sister hid in the long canes (bamboo) for two days until the now rescue party arrived.

another example of the toughness was one of the women who was very pregnant. When the Cherokee attacked, her husband threw her on the unhitched horse and their six year old son behind her. Mother and son rode as long as they could and you guessed it. The six year old boy delivered his little brother that night and got his mother to safety in the Waxhaws.

bold hardy stern and virile. just as Teddy R said.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
SCDAH

see if these links work.

An example only of how tough they were, when the convoy was set upon by the Cherokee, Catherine Montgomery Stewart Calhoun (the grandmother) put herself between the grandchildren and the indians giving some of the children time to hide or run away. She was hacked to pieces. Two days later the 'recovery party' got there and found children wandering around scalped and some with hatchets still in their heads. My own ancestor and his sister hid in the long canes (bamboo) for two days until the now rescue party arrived.

another example of the toughness was one of the women who was very pregnant. When the Cherokee attacked, her husband threw her on the unhitched horse and their six year old son behind her. Mother and son rode as long as they could and you guessed it. The six year old boy delivered his little brother that night and got his mother to safety in the Waxhaws.

Thanks for that theoldnorthstate. I knew they had it tough but that's the first I have heard or read about that. Good link too.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:03 PM

Old 03-06-2018, 08:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
I will say those banners are certainly impressive, literally, a sight to see. Are they that big in 'real life'?

All kidding aside, thank you for that Ulsterman because it 'led' me to many other 'somewhere elses'.

As usual and much to everyone's chagrin I'm sure, I had to look it up in order to get the gist of it all and this is what I've retrieved.

The Ulster American Folk Park Presents a New Trail through the Magic of Time

The Ulster American Folk Park Presents a New Trail through the Magic of Time - Museums + Heritage Advisor

And on a smaller note this is what we have to offer in the one state that I am familiar with carrying on a similar albeit smaller scaled 'festival'. Of course your post does not concern a festival but rather an actual historic 'marker' of information concerning the Ulster-American Heritage.

Much appreciated Ulsterman!

Scots-Irish Festival
SEPTEMBER 29, 2018
E. Main Street Dandridge, TN 37725

https://www.scotsirishfestival.com/

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 03-06-2018 at 08:20 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I will say those banners are certainly impressive, literally, a sight to see. Are they that big in 'real life'?

All kidding aside, thank you for that Ulsterman because it 'led' me to many other 'somewhere elses'.

As usual and much to everyone's chagrin I'm sure, I had to look it up in order to get the gist of it all and this is what I've retrieved.

The Ulster American Folk Park Presents a New Trail through the Magic of Time

The Ulster American Folk Park Presents a New Trail through the Magic of Time - Museums + Heritage Advisor

And on a smaller note this is what we have to offer in the one state that I am familiar with carrying on a similar albeit smaller scaled 'festival'. Of course your post does not concern a festival but rather an actual historic 'marker' of information concerning the Ulster-American Heritage.

Much appreciated Ulsterman!

Scots-Irish Festival
SEPTEMBER 29, 2018
E. Main Street Dandridge, TN 37725

https://www.scotsirishfestival.com/

HomeIsWhere I have been to the Ulster American Folk Park a couple of times and it was well worth the visits. It takes quite a while to get around it all. The park was founded by a Mr Mellon who left for America in the 1800s and made his fortune there.

I remember my daughter agreeing to take me to the park and she started off along the road towards Holywood. I wondered what she was doing and said I thought she was going the wrong way but she said she was going the right way and then 'the penny dropped' and I realised she was heading for the Ulster Folk Park near Holywood . lol She did an about turn and we headed for the Ulster American Folk Park.

The Dandridge people are doing alright. I came across another American site which said that the Scotch-Irish never recognised Christmas but had parties at other times of the year. Of course that was many years ago and that has changed.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
SCDAH

see if these links work.

THE SCOTS-IRISH IN THE CAROLINAS

The Long Cane Massacre on February 1, 1760 occurred as 150 settlers, mostly Scots-Irish heading to Augusta in Georgia, were attacked by Cherokee warriors and 23 were killed.
The Calhouns were among the families attacked and 76-year-old grandmother Catherine Montgomery Calhoun, her son James and grand-daughter Catherine were killed. Other children Ann and Mary were captured and taken away to be raised by Indian squaws. Ann was allowed to return to her family 14 years later after treaty negotiations. This attack and other raids that year temporarily halted the flow of settlers to the Abbeville region

The barbarity at Long Cane was a fall-out from the French/Indian War of the 1754-63 period. Cherokee Indians of the upper part of South Carolina became allies of the British forces and went north with them to fight the French in Canada. After the surrender of Quebec in 1759 these Indians returned back to their homes in Carolina and while passing though Virginia they came into conflict with the Scots-Irish settlers after taking horses. This act enraged the settlers and they pursued the Indians, killing a dozen of them.
The Cherokees were in revengeful mood by the time they reached South Carolina and several outrages were committed. The white settlers retaliated and one incident led to another. Settler families were moved out to the Waxhaws region and to Augusta, Georgia. The Long Cane massacre came as some families were fleeing their homes.

It was from this environment that John Caldwell Calhoun came and the traumas his frontier family faced probably explain the hardline policies he was to pursue as a politican.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Maybe this is off-topic, but don't forget the Highlanders, the first of whom immigrated to Savanah and Darien, GA.
I remember your posting of this Frihed89 so when I came across this I thought I would share it here...

Scottish and Scotch-Irish Americans

SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Because of profound doctrinal differences with New England's Congregationalism, the Scotch-Irish Presbyterians opted for the religious freedom of William Penn's colony; and the earliest settlements there were near Philadelphia in the 1720s. They reached as far west as Pittsburgh before finding greater opportunities in the southern colonies. The Scotch-Irish and Scots alike were strongly represented in the push westward, though, and their participation in military campaigns was significant. Darien, Georgia, was founded by Highland Scots in service to General James Oglethorpe, and their assistance was invaluable in protecting the British colonies of the Southeast from the Spanish in Florida.These Highland Scots strongly protested against the institution of slavery in the colony, setting a precedent for strong anti-slavery sentiment that stood against the Scotch-Irish planters and English colonists who were eager for slavery to help build the colony and amass fortunes.

Scottish and Scotch-Irish Americans - History, The scotch-irish, Immigration, Settlement patterns, Acculturation and Assimilation

Old 03-07-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
HomeIsWhere I have been to the Ulster American Folk Park a couple of times and it was well worth the visits. It takes quite a while to get around it all. The park was founded by a Mr Mellon who left for America in the 1800s and made his fortune there.

I remember my daughter agreeing to take me to the park and she started off along the road towards Holywood. I wondered what she was doing and said I thought she was going the wrong way but she said she was going the right way and then 'the penny dropped' and I realised she was heading for the Ulster Folk Park near Holywood . lol She did an about turn and we headed for the Ulster American Folk Park.

The Dandridge people are doing alright. I came across another American site which said that the Scotch-Irish never recognised Christmas but had parties at other times of the year. Of course that was many years ago and that has changed.
Daughters (and sons as well) are the best and tops among the great people to have in our lives.

So far I haven't come across anything yet that indicates the Scotch-Irish never recognised Christmas but I did come across a Scotch-Irish Christmas Tale. I have not posted it in its entirety but rather the last two lines only.

A Scotch-Irish Christmas Tale

"Scotch Irish, that's what they call us here in America Ma ... they call us the Scotch Irish."

P.S. - I would just like to say Merry Christmas to all of the sons and the daughters in far off lands who won't be home for Christmas. And to the families who will miss them all so very much.

UlsterHeritage.com - A Scotch-Irish Christmas Tale

Old 03-08-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Daughters (and sons as well) are the best and tops among the great people to have in our lives.

So far I haven't come across anything yet that indicates the Scotch-Irish never recognised Christmas but I did come across a Scotch-Irish Christmas Tale. I have not posted it in its entirety but rather the last two lines only.

A Scotch-Irish Christmas Tale

"Scotch Irish, that's what they call us here in America Ma ... they call us the Scotch Irish."

P.S. - I would just like to say Merry Christmas to all of the sons and the daughters in far off lands who won't be home for Christmas. And to the families who will miss them all so very much.

UlsterHeritage.com - A Scotch-Irish Christmas Tale

HomeIsWhere, the 'banner' which I posted was from the Tourist Board and of course it contains other links with America.

Ah, such a nice story of those who sailed to America.
In another part of the Eagles Wing concert it has a mother saying goodbybe to her son knowing that she will probably never see him again.

In the article about the Scots and Scotch-Irish it mentions that many Scotch-Irish went to America in 1840's. That could be right but the big majority who left were Irish Catholics who went because of the potato famine.
Protestants did leave in large numbers in the 1800's but this was because of landlords making life difficult for them. Some of these went to Canada but the majority went to America.

Didn't know the Scotch-Irish were for slavery..interesting. A mother's goodbye to her son on the Eagles Wing show. Best on full size as its rather small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8FRVIXQizA&t=129s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History