Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:50 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,493 times

Advertisements

Seems they played a leading role in the 'making of America'

Professor J.G. Leyburn mentions that in 1695 the Secretary of Maryland reported that ' the Scotch-Irish are numerous ' in two counties of the colony, and quotes two Anglican clergymen who in 1723 referred to settlers from Ireland who ' call themselves Scotch-Irish '. One went on to specify that they were from the north of Ireland, the other to describe the...m as ' the bitterest railers against the church that ever trod upon American ground '. ( They evidently had brought their resentment against the Test Act and the Anglican Establishment to America ). Although they were loosely referred to as 'Irish' , it is clear that the name Scotch-Irish was coined at least 300 years ago.

The main exodus of the Scotch-Irish from Ulster to America between 1717 and 1775 has been called ' The Great Migration'. It is likely that upwards of 200,000 left Ulster for the American colonies in the six decades before the Revolutionary War.

Those arriving with the first two migratory waves settled initially in Pennsylvania, while those arriving in the early 1740s ( as well as the younger sons of those already settled in the more developed areas of the colony ) overflowed southward along the Shenandoah Valley into Virginia. By the late 1740s significant numbers of Scotch-Irish were settling in the Piedmont country of North Carolina, supplemented in 1754 and 1755 by fresh arrivals with the fourth great wave from Ulster. Indian raids delayed the effective settlement of the Piedmont area of South Carolina until the mid- 1760s. Undoubtedly some Scotch-Irish pushed further west across the mountains despite the fact that all territory west of the Appalachians was designated an Indian Reserve by royal declaration in 1763. It was only after the Revolutionary War, however, that they moved in substantial numbers into Kentucky and Tennessee. Germans ( initially from small, rather exclusive pietist sects, though mainly Lutherans ) constituted the other major group of immigrants ever seeking new lands. The pioneers of the various national groups, however, tended to keep their early settlements separate from each other.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:07 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Visited the cottage of Woodrow Wilsons ancetors in County Tyrone , many famous Americans from Ulster Scots. http://www.ulsterscotsagency.com/fs/...s_BK3_AW_6.pdf

Ulster American Folk Park - National Museums Northern Ireland

Old 03-26-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Visited the cottage of Woodrow Wilsons ancetors in County Tyrone , many famous Americans from Ulster Scots. http://www.ulsterscotsagency.com/fs/...s_BK3_AW_6.pdf

Ulster American Folk Park - National Museums Northern Ireland
Have never been to it dizzybint, and I should have, as I think I may have some connection with Wilson. My folk came from that area.

Think there were around 15 Presidents who were of Ulster-Scots stock. The nearest we got to an Ulster born President was Andrew Jackson. He was born about 15 months after his folk left Boneybefore ( pronounced bonnybefore) near Carrickfergus. His 'ancestral home' is still an attraction for many visitors.

We were well to the fore in the Revolutionary War. Washington said 'if defeated elsewhere I will make my last stand with the Scotch-Irish (Ulster-Scots) of my native Virginia'.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:57 AM

Tells the story in a few verses of song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXaQwny4xns

Old 03-26-2014, 12:39 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
A few of them came to the New England colonies. That's why we have towns called Derry and Londonderry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_on_Snowshoes

Robert Rogers was born to James and Mary McFatridge Rogers on 7 November 1731. He was born in Methuen, MA. The town served as a staging point for Ulster-Scots settlers bound for the untamed wilderness of New Hampshire.

I descend from this man's sister and this family was STRONG. There are stories and stories--even the woman. Physically large and strong--and brave. Robert himself learned to fight by studying the ways of the Native Americans and wrote a book, "Rules for Rangers." Very warlike people from what I've read. I don't know if being warlike is such a positive attribute but it came in handy for fighting the enemy, not so good for living as a family.

Last edited by in_newengland; 03-26-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 12:43 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Have never been to it dizzybint, and I should have, as I think I may have some connection with Wilson. My folk came from that area.

Think there were around 15 Presidents who were of Ulster-Scots stock. The nearest we got to an Ulster born President was Andrew Jackson. He was born about 15 months after his folk left Boneybefore ( pronounced bonnybefore) near Carrickfergus. His 'ancestral home' is still an attraction for many visitors.

We were well to the fore in the Revolutionary War. Washington said 'if defeated elsewhere I will make my last stand with the Scotch-Irish (Ulster-Scots) of my native Virginia'.
We were very lucky Ulsterman when we went to visit about five years ago.. the cottage was empty and scaffolding round it as it was being refurbished for a visitors centre.. so we had the place to ourselves that day to have a good look around.. fascinating wee place..

Old 03-26-2014, 01:05 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
On dad's side, his mother refered to the family as scots irish very pointedly. Dad was born in 1911. In some places was still very much a thing of pride and identity. The family has been traced back and came in the early 1700's but didn't forget.

And there is my great great grandfather and his wife he met in New York. He was an Orangeman, and suddenly found reason to leave Ulster immediately. That's a story I want to know. He left his wife and kids, married my g g grandmother, another ulster scot, in New York. They also most proudly claimed that identity though they came a couple of hundred years later.

If you look back and it says "Irish" for nationality on immigration, and its from Ulster and surrounding areas, likely they too were Ulster Scots.

The ones who came very early were kicked off their land when the English expanded their estates. They were literally herded out and to the sea and put on boats. When they got to the America's, they were allowed to mightate back into Kentucky and west Virginia even though it wasn't technically 'legal' as a buffer to fight off the tribes. Which is what they were used for origionally in Ulser, lower caste scots brought in to dilute the Irish and their religion. The ones who came in the 1800's were often escaping the disorder as well as the poverty of their home. Or as in the case of the grandfather what I assume are some form of radical politics.

I went to a very interesting st patty's day celebration in Santa Ana Ca, which was pretty much founded by members of my family. They had orange and green streamers and orange and green hats and the same music. They had an informal competiton between the orange merchants and the green ones. Everyone was having a good time and there was no real rancor but they still remembered the two colors... Never seen that before. The old loses its sting but isn't forgotten.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:34 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
A great book to read on the contribution of the Scots- Irish to America is " Born Fighting " by Congressman Jim Web. Yes, an intelligent former Congressman who can also write.

It is a most interesting book on the history of that group in America.

Another take on the Scots- Irish but more narrow and dealing with those people that settled and still in live in Appalachia is " Deer Hunting with Jesus", by Joe Bageant ( who is also one of the people he wrote about ).

Old 03-26-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A few of them came to the New England colonies. That's why we have towns called Derry and Londonderry.

Battle on Snowshoes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert Rogers was born to James and Mary McFatridge Rogers on 7 November 1731. He was born in Methuen, MA. The town served as a staging point for Ulster-Scots settlers bound for the untamed wilderness of New Hampshire.

I descend from this man's sister and this family was STRONG. There are stories and stories--even the woman. Physically large and strong--and brave. Robert himself learned to fight by studying the ways of the Native Americans and wrote a book, "Rules for Rangers." Very warlike people from what I've read. I don't know if being warlike is such a positive attribute but it came in handy for fighting the enemy, not so good for living as a family.
I think you have summed us up fairly well. We weren't perfect and I think you have to judge a people against the times they lived in. That's right about Londonderry and Derry, and I think it was the Rev McGregor who had a lot to do with it. He was a defender during the Siege of Londonderry in Ulster.

Maybe, not so much warlike if they were left alone. They were hard neighbours to the native-Americans, but this was after they had been killing them. God's Frontiersmen says there were 50 settlers being killed for every native-American killed. However, that changed and it wasn't pretty. They hit back just as hard if not harder.

One mans view.

The Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish...An assessment.

Winthrop Sargent, in his book “Introductory Memoir to the Journal of Braddock’s Expedition,” offers this assessment of the Scotch-Irish as a people:

“They were a hardy, brave, hot-headed race, excitable in temper, unrestrainable in passion, invincible in prejudice. Their hand opened as impetuously to a friend as it clinched against a foe. ... Impatient of restraint, rebellious against everything that in their eyes bore the semblance of injustice, we find these men readiest among the ready on the battlefields of the Revolution. If they had faults, a lack of patriotism or of courage was not among the number.”

Old 03-26-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
We were very lucky Ulsterman when we went to visit about five years ago.. the cottage was empty and scaffolding round it as it was being refurbished for a visitors centre.. so we had the place to ourselves that day to have a good look around.. fascinating wee place..
Will have to get there dizzybint. Keep meaning to, but always something comes up. I have been to the Ulster American Folk Park which is a great place to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History