Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 02:17 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Aye indeed, it showed another side to him. Did you see the video clip of him as a boy and the dispute he had with the redcoat soldier. Its said that's how he got the mark on his face.
What am I missing Ulsterman? I would like to see the video clip, how have I overlooked that (lol, was it in one of my posts)?

ETA: IF, it's not one of my posts (and it could very well be, I really do READ ALOT of history in general BUT a lot of other things as well), however, in my search for this mysterious and elusive video clip I have found some other very interesting and 'newsworthy' items on President Andrew Jackson..

I'm not given to forsaking anything so I will just soldier on until I find it or you post it, whichever comes first.

10 Fascinating Presidential Scandals (#4 Whiskey Ring)

https://www.thoughtco.com/top-presid...candals-105459

First inauguration of Andrew Jackson

The White House wasn’t prepared for the crowd as it pressed in through the front door and sought out Jackson, along with the food and whiskey-laced punch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_...Andrew_Jackson

Images of whisky in the white house, contemporary view …

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...kson&FORM=IGRE

The below video is a wee bit long but it is very interesting (to me, as an American) if you don't have any distractions.

Andrew Jackson: How the President Became the King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4BMa5TswkE

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 02-24-2018 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Additional commentary; yes I apologize as I am very 'talkative'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 03:20 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,905 times
Andrew Jackson’s paternal line was English From Yorkshire. No ounce of Irish blood

Old 02-24-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Andrew Jackson’s paternal line was English From Yorkshire. No ounce of Irish blood
Ah, paternal line being the operative phrase therefore and perhaps an ounce or more of Irish blood if his mother's ancestry counts for anything.

Mythbusting – Women, Fathers and DNA

“Family Finder uses autosomal DNA (inherited from both the mother and father, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, etc.) to provide you a breakdown of your ethnic percentages and connect you with relatives descended from any of your ancestral lines within approximately the last 5 generations.”

https://dna-explained.com/2013/06/23...thers-and-dna/

Elizabeth Jackson (Hutchinson) Also Known As "Betty"
Birthdate: circa 1737 (44)
Birthplace: Carrickfergus, Antrim, Ireland

https://www.geni.com/people/Elizabet...00003113486794

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 02-24-2018 at 03:53 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 04:04 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,013,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Ah, paternal line being the operative phrase therefore and perhaps an ounce or more of Irish blood if his mother's ancestry counts for anything.

Mythbusting – Women, Fathers and DNA

“Family Finder uses autosomal DNA (inherited from both the mother and father, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, etc.) to provide you a breakdown of your ethnic percentages and connect you with relatives descended from any of your ancestral lines within approximately the last 5 generations.”

https://dna-explained.com/2013/06/23...thers-and-dna/

Elizabeth Jackson (Hutchinson) Also Known As "Betty"
Birthdate: circa 1737 (44)
Birthplace: Carrickfergus, Antrim, Ireland

https://www.geni.com/people/Elizabet...00003113486794
The poster also seems to be assuming that every single one of Andrew's paternal ancestors was pure English, which is extremely unlikely. How many generations back did the Jackson ancestor come to Ulster from England (if in fact that is where he came from), was he married to an Englishwoman at the time, or was he just one of eight or sixteen or more paternal ancestors of that generation?

Old 02-24-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
The poster also seems to be assuming that every single one of Andrew's paternal ancestors was pure English, which is extremely unlikely. How many generations back did the Jackson ancestor come to Ulster from England (if in fact that is where he came from), was he married to an Englishwoman at the time, or was he just one of eight or sixteen or more paternal ancestors of that generation?
I have to agree with you on that...

Jackson Name Meaning

English, Scottish, and northern Irish: patronymic from Jack 1. As an American surname this has absorbed other patronymics beginning with J- in various European languages.

https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=jackson

Oh, the irony...what exactly does "English from Yorkshire" really mean in light of the fact that Britain/England lived in such close proximity to Scotland, Wales and Ireland I am sure there was a great deal of travel and intermingled relations among those groups.

Not to mention all the invaders which occupied and 'spread their seed' as invaders tend to do.

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 02-24-2018 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Because

Old 02-24-2018, 05:15 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times
If anyone is driving through Charlotte NC and if Andrew Jackson interests you, then go by the Waxhaw pioneer / Andrew Jackson Village. It is right on the NC/SC line and easy to get there.

We spent hours with the grandkids and it was very worthwhile from the Andrew Jackson perspective or the colonial frontiersman living aspect.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
If anyone is driving through Charlotte NC and if Andrew Jackson interests you, then go by the Waxhaw pioneer / Andrew Jackson Village. It is right on the NC/SC line and easy to get there.

We spent hours with the grandkids and it was very worthwhile from the Andrew Jackson perspective or the colonial frontiersman living aspect.
Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us; absolutely wow, this looks great and not that very far either. Looks like it just might be a summer of visiting elsewhere. I looked it up and voilà...

Waxhaw NC Regional History and Cultural Center

The story of our local history begins with the first people to roam these lands – the Waxhaw Indians. European settlers, primarily Scots-Irish, discovered a home place for themselves in a new world they called the ‘Garden of the Waxhaws.’ Waxhaw still celebrates the culture of these early descendants who settled here, carving out homesteads and farms in a vast and rugged backcountry which became an Early American Trader’s Path running from Petersburg, Virginia, to Augusta, Georgia.

Local History -

Old 02-24-2018, 07:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Thanks for the recommendation craigirl, what is the name of the book? I'd be interested in reading this and see if they have it or are able to get it at our library.

I do some research myself (genealogical purposes) on the people who emigrated to America from England, Scotland and Ireland during the colonial period. There are quite a few good books on the lives and fate of the people of Appalachia.

A Hillbilly Syllabus December 10, 2017 by Eric Kerl

Since the publication of JD Vance’s Hillbilly Elegy, just before the “election” of Donald Trump, the people of Appalachia have been discovered again. Perplexed by the specter of white poverty and apparent backwardness, liberals and progressives turned to Vance’s Elegy to understand Appalachians.

Instead, what they found was a blame-the-victim and culture of poverty narrative that wouldn’t pass the smell test of racism in any other case.

https://chitucky.com/2017/12/10/hillbillysyllabus/
Night Comes to the Cumberlands
My link above shows it on Amazon. It may be public domain since it's sold for 99 cents......

I ready the Hillbilly Elegy and another similar tome "Rainbow Pie"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LB4SIO...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Both of them, IMHO, shed a true light...but a negative one to some degree (Rainbow more than Elergy) on the population. It is written by one of them who got out through education.

I'd say in a historic sense, the problems were due to many reasons - some of them because the population allowed themselves to be exploited (illiterate/uneducated so most signed away all mineral and timber rights) combined with the lack of protections we experience in the USA. People should be somewhat protected from exploitation.

They thought going inland and getting away from the cities would be a smart move - and it would have been if they had a upper class (educated) and lawyers and tradespeople to protect them from the wolves of Wall Street. But they didn't - so they were used and abused. This is unfortunately legal.

According to most of what I have read...and this is unlike many other immigrant classes, they didn't have as their goal a better education and better life for their sons and daughters. Sure, they worked very hard and loved making a good living in the mines, etc. while it lasted...and did improve their (company) homes. But they didn't scrimp and save to send their kids to Harvard or get them off the plantation (so to speak). Of course, this is one area and one book. Society has become more mobile and, as I mentioned before, many of them have left and succeeded elsewhere.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Night Comes to the Cumberlands
My link above shows it on Amazon. It may be public domain since it's sold for 99 cents......

I ready the Hillbilly Elegy and another similar tome "Rainbow Pie"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LB4SIO...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Both of them, IMHO, shed a true light...but a negative one to some degree (Rainbow more than Elergy) on the population. It is written by one of them who got out through education.

I'd say in a historic sense, the problems were due to many reasons - some of them because the population allowed themselves to be exploited (illiterate/uneducated so most signed away all mineral and timber rights) combined with the lack of protections we experience in the USA. People should be somewhat protected from exploitation.

They thought going inland and getting away from the cities would be a smart move - and it would have been if they had a upper class (educated) and lawyers and tradespeople to protect them from the wolves of Wall Street. But they didn't - so they were used and abused. This is unfortunately legal.

According to most of what I have read...and this is unlike many other immigrant classes, they didn't have as their goal a better education and better life for their sons and daughters. Sure, they worked very hard and loved making a good living in the mines, etc. while it lasted...and did improve their (company) homes. But they didn't scrimp and save to send their kids to Harvard or get them off the plantation (so to speak). Of course, this is one area and one book. Society has become more mobile and, as I mentioned before, many of them have left and succeeded elsewhere.
Thanks for the name of the book craigirl I will be going to the library next week and check it out.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:28 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,905 times
I have said in a previous post that there is an area on this island called Middle Britain , a mixture of orthern English and Southern Scots, these were tougher the nearer the border . These were known as Revers or Borderers. Hadrian’s wall is only a Roman barrier . It was from these areas Elizabeth 1 and then King James of Scotland and England sent to Ulster bringing with them this Protestant / Catholic divide. The actual dna of Settlers though largely Scottish is not Irish. Americans I’m surprised seem confused with this. Most Ulster Protestant blood will be descended from the the island of Britain, even other parts of Wales, West Country ect:
Not all Appalachian folk are purely Scots Irish there were just not enough immigrants from the tiny province of Ulster to populate the entire American South. The largest DNA , I reckon , would be English ( from anywhere) Scottish (a lot) Ulster ( again a lot) The English didn’t just hang around Tidewater .
Andrew Jackson would unsurprisingly have Ulster Scots (and N English), Scottish and then Yorkshire blood. Other Americans in the south would have more English then Ulster blood .
Having spent a lot of time in the South they all looked like people from back home! Just like working class Britons. And our first ancestor was black with blue eyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History