Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 31,208 times

Advertisements

I cannot thank you enough, as I heard about this documentary and couldn't find it. I will be watching it every so often to remind me how I reached my financial freedom, built an organization and how important it is to have a structure to secure your future. Queen Boudicca is a legacy and signifies freedom. I chose to learn from the ancients and have chosen Boudicca, she is my ancient inspiration and row model in the modern world. I apply her philosophy to grow in my business and her motivation to succeed. I copied her golden words and will be applying her techniques and wisdom to in building my organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Yeap i posted the 1 1/2 hour show (9 parts) from The History Channel on a thread here back in oct 2008 as i love to watch this show several times a year and so here's the link to the city data thread with all 9 parts for you to watch

Iceni Celtic Warrior Queen Boudica TV Show Posted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 11:17 AM

Default Knowlege is the Key to all

You see studying ancients/legacies and their philosophy, I have come to conclusion, as is relative in my case, that sometimes we are lacking certain knowledge or simply not thinking outside the box. Some legacies were ahead of their time and were given opportunity to think things through before going forward, some were acting on impulse. We are all human and not perfect, because of blind spots in our lives and lack of time to think things through we also make mistakes, although not at the expense of human lives but at our own financial expanse. My lesson to learn here is how not to commit financial suicide and acquire the necessary knowledge to possibly prevent mistakes of an entrepreneur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
While her spirit and devotion to her people can be admired, the tactics and military skills of Boudicca and the Iceni could be debated. During the revolt, their victories came against small Roman military units or the massacre of large numbers of civilians in places like Londinium. In the one and only major battle the Iceni were annihilated. At the Battle of Watling Street Suetonius chose his ground carefully, and picked a fine position for his badly outnumbered legions. The Iceni violated the number one rule for those that fought the Romans; never ever, under any circumstances, confront them with a direct frontal assault when they are drawn up in battle array and in position. Organization, tactics, armor, arms, training, and disipline would almost always win the day for the legions in such battles. If we can believe Tacitus, the Iceni lost 80,000 that day, compared to Roman loses of only 400.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Default Incredible Facts

So fascinated by all these incredible historical facts, provided, and if I am not mistaken, in those days people of Brittania would pass on the historical events through the word of mouth as they were not advanced in keeping written records as Romans were. So regretful for the massacres of the priests on the western cost. In those days these spiritual figures would keep the knowledge to themselves and then pass it on to someone worthy, which was done for centuries. Romans may have been considered advanced "culture", but did have their own blind spots too, called ignorance. That sacred knowledge of the priests can never be recovered. There is so much we could have learned from those priests and their descendants about the past. Unfortunately, such things are still happening to the present day, destruction of cultural artifacts, unconsciously.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:24 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Queen View Post
I cannot thank you enough, as I heard about this documentary and couldn't find it. I will be watching it every so often to remind me how I reached my financial freedom, built an organization and how important it is to have a structure to secure your future. Queen Boudicca is a legacy and signifies freedom. I chose to learn from the ancients and have chosen Boudicca, she is my ancient inspiration and row model in the modern world. I apply her philosophy to grow in my business and her motivation to succeed. I copied her golden words and will be applying her techniques and wisdom to in building my organization.
You're most welcome Warrior Queen .

By the way that's an interesting analogy about your correlation with Boudica who lived some 2000 years ago and financial freedom in todays era as i have to admit that i have not a clue about how the two connect although if it works out for yourself then that's cool to hear about. By the way she drew her insperation was from her god ''Andraste'' as you may want to research about that Celtic deity if that's of interest to you.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:49 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Queen View Post
So fascinated by all these incredible historical facts, provided, and if I am not mistaken, in those days people of Brittania would pass on the historical events through the word of mouth as they were not advanced in keeping written records as Romans were. So regretful for the massacres of the priests on the western cost. In those days these spiritual figures would keep the knowledge to themselves and then pass it on to someone worthy, which was done for centuries. Romans may have been considered advanced "culture", but did have their own blind spots too, called ignorance. That sacred knowledge of the priests can never be recovered. There is so much we could have learned from those priests and their descendants about the past. Unfortunately, such things are still happening to the present day, destruction of cultural artifacts, unconsciously.
Most likely so as only the Romans kept written records (Celts only inscriptions) as that's how we know about the Roman occupation of southern Britain from 43 A.D. until around 410 A.D. when the last legions left because of the Goths sacking of the Italian Peninsula then amongst other problems as well.

As for the Druids on the Isle de Mona (Anglesey) well Roman Emperor Nero had sent his military Commander of the West (Magister Millitum Occidens) General Suetonius to crush them as it was believed that the Druids were the insperation behind the numerous indingenous uprisings that the Romans were constantly putting down. He dealt with them brutally by burning them alive and cutting off their heads etc. He also destroyed their sacred ''oak groves'' on the island as well.

The physical description of her came from the Roman historian Cassius Dio who wrote ''In stature she was very tall, in the glance of her eye most fierce, and her voice was harsh, a great mass of fiery red hair fell to her hips as her appearance was most terrifying'' and he also described similar depictions of other Iceni woman who would follow the men into battle as well as that may be why the Romans gave the account of anywhere from 200,000 to 80,000 Iceni/Trinovantes vs around 12,000 Romans during the ''Battle of Watling Street'' if Cassius Dio and Tacitus are to be believed as not exaggerating their opponents numbers during the final battle .

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 02-25-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 05:36 PM

76 posts, read 166,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyra View Post
I can trace my family back to East Anglia.. 1300's. I told my son we were of the Iceni Tribe and descendants of Boudica...( Have no idea if that's really true!).. He spends alot of time in England in his work.. he mentioned this fact to an elderly gentleman in a pub one night in that area. He looked at my son up and down and said.. "Yes, I do see the resembelance"!!!!
Hi cousin.

There is some dispute as to what this queen's name is. Do you go by the Celtic version or the Latin version? I just call her granny.

After the Saxons arrived the British Isles had very little influx of people from the outside. This naturally makes for a shallow gene pool (after you've seen Cranford on PBS several times they all start to look alike). The UK has something like 60 million people. At least 3 million are direct descendants of King Edward III. There is no telling how many English speaking people worldwide are Edward's direct descendants. My ancestry goes back to his 2nd son, John of Gaunt.

If the census had asked me what my race is, I would have said Icenic.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
This is a really good program. I actually saw it a few months ago, although I didn't know they were playing it again. Doggone it, I missed it this time!

Her story, (I remember reading about her when I was a kid), makes one proud to be descended from the Celts! Scrappin' bunch, they were! They also had some pretty good laws, (I believe they were called Brehon laws, if I spelled that correctly), which included women's rights, something that wasn't exactly a pressing issue for most other people. The Celts were more advanced for their time than many folks give them credit for.
Is celt a race or a culture? There is archaeological evidence for celtic settlements all over Western Europe. But no self-respecting Brit is going to tolerate being called a European. God put that Channel there for a reason.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Wouldn't it be so cool to revive the ancient languages of Europe. From what i understand there where many Celtic dialects so it would be impossible to have one Celtic language (if im wrong correct me) but still there must be a Celtic mother tongue. Also wish we could revive the Anglo Saxon (old english) and even Latin as that was the tongue of the Roman Empire. I'm sure there are other dead languages that others know about and would like to see revived but those that i mentioned are my interest. I wonder if todays Greek is the same as when Alexander was conquering or when the bible was written??

I'm very envious of my Blood Cousins in Britain/Ireland and if i lived there i would constantly be visiting the old historic places of her.

6/3
Supposedly the people of Friesland (or is it East Friesia?) have a dialect that comes closest to what the Saxons; Old English was.

English used to be a highly inflected language- it had prefixes and suffices to indicate their grammar. When the (@#%$^#^#@$%^#$^$^) Danes invaded and settled they had the same vocabulary as the Saxons but with different prefixes and suffixes. Where the Saxons and the Danes interacted they simply dropped the prefixes and suffixes and this lead to English grammar as we now have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History