Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times

Advertisements

For a contemporary account of the Warrior Queen , I would recommend reading Tacitus.

Link with excerpt from the Annals of Tacitus :
Athena Review 1,1: Description by Tacitus of Boudicca's Rebellion, AD 60-61

If you are interested in Celtic history but are looking for a fiction series, I would also recommend Peter Tremayne's series, "Fidelma".
He is an academic expert on Irish history under his real name ( Peter Berresford Ellis) ( Dark ages mainly) but his fiction novels are wonderful. His expertise on Brehon Law and the Early Christian Church in Ireland is reflected very well in what is a fascinating portrait of a society so different from the rest of Europe at that time.
Amazon.com: peter berresford ellis
The Fascination with Sister Fidelma: Interview with Peter Tremayne (http://www.historicalnovelsociety.org/solander/fidelma.htm - broken link)
INTERNATIONAL SISTER FIDELMA SOCIETY

One of the best books I know on the subject is by an acquaintance of mine and famous Archaeologist Barry Cunliffe : "The Ancient Celts". He is a professor of Archaeology at Oxford University and him and his wife are world experts on the subject. He has written many books on Iron Age Europe and Britain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 PM

4 posts, read 31,208 times
Default Boudicca

Does anyone knows all of the names of the movies and the names of documentaries retelling about Boudicca - anything that was made about her on the screen? Thank you.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Queen View Post
Does anyone knows all of the names of the movies and the names of documentaries retelling about Boudicca - anything that was made about her on the screen? Thank you.
Yeap i posted the 1 1/2 hour show (9 parts) from The History Channel on a thread here back in oct 2008 as i love to watch this show several times a year and so here's the link to the city data thread with all 9 parts for you to watch

Iceni Celtic Warrior Queen Boudica TV Show Posted

Old 02-10-2011, 11:43 AM

829 posts, read 2,954,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
I just saw a great 2 hour show on the History Channel today about the great Warrior Queen of the Iceni Celts who took on the Roman Legions in England and almost succeded in driving out the Romans in 60 A.D. instead of 410 A.D. when the Romans left for good.

The Romans who had lived in peace with the Celts up tp that time decided to conquer all of Britain and had the Iceni Queen Flogged and her daughters raped. After this she united the different Celtic tribes and with 100,000 Celtic warriors attacked and destroyed the Roman cities around England and was unstoppable. So Emperor Nero sent his best General Governor Suetonius who had just killed off the Druids to stop her and so he was out numbered 5 to 1 but planned a brilliant battle plan at the Battle of the Midlands and destroyed the Celtic army. The Celts lost some 80,000 killed while the Romans lost just 400 dead. She commited suicide rather than surrender and the Celts never again rose up with such success as she had.

I can't believe i've never heard of her so kudos to the History Channel on this one. The Celts allowed Men or Women to be rulers of their tribes where as the Romans found women inferior and especially Roman General Suetonius who would have been shamed to have been defeated by a women (Boudica).

Again just a great show on this historical event.
6/3

For those who want to learn more.
Boudica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You are right 6-3. I recently read a book on the celt, and it had a seperate chapter on the celtic women. It talked about how strong they were both mentally and physically. It also stated that they really stood by there men loyally. They really drove the point about there strength though.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
You are right 6-3. I recently read a book on the celt, and it had a seperate chapter on the celtic women. It talked about how strong they were both mentally and physically. It also stated that they really stood by there men loyally. They really drove the point about there strength though.
There was also another Celtic female warrior named Cartimandua the Queen of the Brigantes tribe of northern England who refused to join Boudica's rebellion and so she and her tribe were rewarded afterwards by the Romans. Their societies didn't discriminate against woman being rulers of the clans and everyone including the woman were always training to do battle.

Maybe these Celtic warrior woman were the mythic ''Amazonian's'' that the Greeks believed existed
Attached Thumbnails
Boudica Celtic Warrior Queen-1a-20boudicca51101.jpg   Boudica Celtic Warrior Queen-guinevere2.jpg  

Old 02-10-2011, 10:45 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
In relation to the post about native Welsh/Irish/Scottish Celt tribes being more closely related to the Continental Celts (France, Iberia, Belgium), I seem to recall that one of the founding myths of Ireland was that they sailed from Spain as an entire group of people.. I wish I could remember where I read it, though.

Must have been a fascinating time to be alive.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
In relation to the post about native Welsh/Irish/Scottish Celt tribes being more closely related to the Continental Celts (France, Iberia, Belgium), I seem to recall that one of the founding myths of Ireland was that they sailed from Spain as an entire group of people.. I wish I could remember where I read it, though.

Must have been a fascinating time to be alive.
They (Irish, Scots, Welsh) are the closly related to the Basques of Spain via their paternal DNA haplotype (R1b) as i agree with the theory that they traversed upwards along the European western coast to the British Isles some 4,000 to 5,000 years ago ???

Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
While her spirit and devotion to her people can be admired, the tactics and military skills of Boudicca and the Iceni could be debated. During the revolt, their victories came against small Roman military units or the massacre of large numbers of civilians in places like Londinium. In the one and only major battle the Iceni were annihilated. At the Battle of Watling Street Suetonius chose his ground carefully, and picked a fine position for his badly outnumbered legions. The Iceni violated the number one rule for those that fought the Romans; never ever, under any circumstances, confront them with a direct frontal assault when they are drawn up in battle array and in position. Organization, tactics, armor, arms, training, and disipline would almost always win the day for the legions in such battles. If we can believe Tacitus, the Iceni lost 80,000 that day, compared to Roman loses of only 400.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
The entire western coast of Europe was dominated by a certain related folk who adopted Celtic language and culture. The culture moved northwards from Iberia and France into the Isles.

Sure some people moved along with it but archaeologists consider the spread of Celtic culture from central Europe into the west and northwest to be more along the lines of cultural diffusion, the movement of ideas and technologies, rather than a folk migration, the movement of masses of people. Recent DNA studies seem to bear this out.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:18 AM

How cool that archeaologists can dig down about 6 or 7 feet in certain areas of either Colchester and London and still find a thick layer of reddish ash ''Boudica;s Ash'' from when she/Iceni burned down Camulodunum and Londinium in 60 A.D.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 02-17-2011 at 05:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History