Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,324,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I just saw a great 2 hour show on the History Channel today about the great Warrior Queen of the Iceni Celts who took on the Roman Legions in England and almost succeded in driving out the Romans in 60 A.D. instead of 410 A.D. when the Romans left for good.

The Romans who had lived in peace with the Celts up tp that time decided to conquer all of Britain and had the Iceni Queen Flogged and her daughters raped. After this she united the different Celtic tribes and with 100,000 Celtic warriors attacked and destroyed the Roman cities around England and was unstoppable. So Emperor Nero sent his best General Governor Suetonius who had just killed off the Druids to stop her and so he was out numbered 5 to 1 but planned a brilliant battle plan at the Battle of the Midlands and destroyed the Celtic army. The Celts lost some 80,000 killed while the Romans lost just 400 dead. She commited suicide rather than surrender and the Celts never again rose up with such success as she had.

I can't believe i've never heard of her so kudos to the History Channel on this one. The Celts allowed Men or Women to be rulers of their tribes where as the Romans found women inferior and especially Roman General Suetonius who would have been shamed to have been defeated by a women (Boudica).

Again just a great show on this historical event.
6/3

For those who want to learn more.
Boudica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, I seen that show before - it's pretty interesting. Boudica is a very interesting figure in history and the story of her rise and fall is filled with drama and pathos.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 12:23 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,528 times
I couldn't find the letter last night; I'll look again tonight.

There's supposed to be a movie made about her, written by Brian Klugman and produced by Mel Gibson, released (original release date 2008) in 2010 (called "warrior").

Mel Prepares to Take on Warrior Queen - Mel Gibson : People.com

Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,324,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I couldn't find the letter last night; I'll look again tonight.

There's supposed to be a movie made about her, written by Brian Klugman and produced by Mel Gibson, released (original release date 2008) in 2010 (called "warrior").

Mel Prepares to Take on Warrior Queen - Mel Gibson : People.com
Sounds like something I'd go to see.

Ken

Old 03-08-2008, 06:50 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I just saw a great 2 hour show on the History Channel today about the great Warrior Queen of the Iceni Celts who took on the Roman Legions in England and almost succeded in driving out the Romans in 60 A.D. instead of 410 A.D. when the Romans left for good.

The Romans who had lived in peace with the Celts up tp that time decided to conquer all of Britain and had the Iceni Queen Flogged and her daughters raped. After this she united the different Celtic tribes and with 100,000 Celtic warriors attacked and destroyed the Roman cities around England and was unstoppable. So Emperor Nero sent his best General Governor Suetonius who had just killed off the Druids to stop her and so he was out numbered 5 to 1 but planned a brilliant battle plan at the Battle of the Midlands and destroyed the Celtic army. The Celts lost some 80,000 killed while the Romans lost just 400 dead. She commited suicide rather than surrender and the Celts never again rose up with such success as she had.

I can't believe i've never heard of her so kudos to the History Channel on this one. The Celts allowed Men or Women to be rulers of their tribes where as the Romans found women inferior and especially Roman General Suetonius who would have been shamed to have been defeated by a women (Boudica).

Again just a great show on this historical event.
6/3

For those who want to learn more.
Boudica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a really good program. I actually saw it a few months ago, although I didn't know they were playing it again. Doggone it, I missed it this time!

Her story, (I remember reading about her when I was a kid), makes one proud to be descended from the Celts! Scrappin' bunch, they were! They also had some pretty good laws, (I believe they were called Brehon laws, if I spelled that correctly), which included women's rights, something that wasn't exactly a pressing issue for most other people. The Celts were more advanced for their time than many folks give them credit for.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:34 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
This is a really good program. I actually saw it a few months ago, although I didn't know they were playing it again. Doggone it, I missed it this time!

Her story, (I remember reading about her when I was a kid), makes one proud to be descended from the Celts! Scrappin' bunch, they were! They also had some pretty good laws, (I believe they were called Brehon laws, if I spelled that correctly), which included women's rights, something that wasn't exactly a pressing issue for most other people. The Celts were more advanced for their time than many folks give them credit for.
I'm really getting fired up about studying the Celts and this show really did that. I see by the Blood DNA Hapalog Groupings thats now going on that the Celts in Ireland, Wales and Scotland etc...are closer to the peoples in Iberia (Spain and Portugal) than to the English (Anglo/Saxons) as i'm just floored at learning this. Looks like the Celts strongly inhabited the Iberian peninsula before going up to Britain/Ireland etc...

Here's a good basic study by Wikipedia for those interested.
Celt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-08-2008, 08:35 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,347 times
The Celts were more widespread than people realize. I was puzzled to find Celtic jewelry for sale in Bavaria!! Now I know! If anyone is interested in Celtic history, you must read 'The Isles-A History" by Norman Davies...I've read it twice and it's in my "read again" pile of books
Also, Celtic has become pretty fadish...as he says in the book... people get dressed up in cloakes and pointed hats to perform Celtic rituals.. but look more like they are going to a clan rally.!! Get factual information and beware of silly myths..the truth is so much more facinating anyway!!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:55 AM

There is also alot of beautiful Celtic poetry in the book and "The Song of Amheirgin" Not sure if I could post it here, but it is so fantastic...

Old 03-08-2008, 09:03 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,401 times
There is a monument to Boudicca in London. It is on the Thames embankment and it is across the street from Big Ben and Parliment. The large black statue shows Boudicca and her two daughters riding their horse-drawn chariot on the way to battle.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:07 AM

Great photos... did you take them??

Old 03-08-2008, 09:17 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Great photos... did you take them??
No, I had to find those online. I have some really great photos of the statue, but unfortunately, they are on my desktop computer and I am posting from my laptop.

I love Boudicca by the way. As a female anthropologist, I'm always thrilled to find a strong woman highlighted in a world history which generally gives more credit to male "heroes" and their "noble" deeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History