Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:26 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
The Celts were more widespread than people realize. I was puzzled to find Celtic jewelry for sale in Bavaria!! Now I know! If anyone is interested in Celtic history, you must read 'The Isles-A History" by Norman Davies...I've read it twice and it's in my "read again" pile of books
Also, Celtic has become pretty fadish...as he says in the book... people get dressed up in cloakes and pointed hats to perform Celtic rituals.. but look more like they are going to a clan rally.!! Get factual information and beware of silly myths..the truth is so much more facinating anyway!!
You're absolutely right about that. Like anything, you have to be a little discerning about what you read, if you want to get to the truth, whether it's on the printed page, or on the Web. I haven't seen this book you spoke of, so I wrote the name down. I'll have to hit my library, or a bookstore, (Amazon, here I come!), to see if I can find it. Because most of my family is from the British Isles, I love to read anything good, concerning the history, that I can get my hands on. Thanks for telling us about this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
Wouldn't it be so cool to revive the ancient languages of Europe. From what i understand there where many Celtic dialects so it would be impossible to have one Celtic language (if im wrong correct me) but still there must be a Celtic mother tongue. Also wish we could revive the Anglo Saxon (old english) and even Latin as that was the tongue of the Roman Empire. I'm sure there are other dead languages that others know about and would like to see revived but those that i mentioned are my interest. I wonder if todays Greek is the same as when Alexander was conquering or when the bible was written??

I'm very envious of my Blood Cousins in Britain/Ireland and if i lived there i would constantly be visiting the old historic places of her.

6/3

Old 03-08-2008, 12:01 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,978 times
There is P Celtic and Q Celtic...a subtle difference in pronunciation and spelling.. but that's about all I know!!! If you Google Celtic Tribes, you will find some very good info on the tribes and their territories.. BTW one of the tribes was the Parisi...sound like a familiar city??? It was named for them!!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:18 PM

I just looked at the list that Wikipedia has and i counted 166 Celtic Tribes that were primarily located in Britain/Ireland, Transalpine Gaul (France and Belgium) Cisalpine Gaul (Northern Italy), Iberian Peninsula and Central Europe.So i doubtthat there is a mother tongue.

Probably the same like the Native American tribes as i believe their languages are mostly related and yet distinctively different per tribe or area.

List of Celtic tribes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-08-2008, 08:00 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I just looked at the list that Wikipedia has and i counted 166 Celtic Tribes that were primarily located in Britain/Ireland, Transalpine Gaul (France and Belgium) Cisalpine Gaul (Northern Italy), Iberian Peninsula and Central Europe.So i doubtthat there is a mother tongue.

Probably the same like the Native American tribes as i believe their languages are mostly related and yet distinctively different per tribe or area.

List of Celtic tribes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Very interesting, thanks.

I'm a huge fan of both Celtic music and that of Bulgaria (first heard it back on the sound track of Carl Sagan's "Cosmos"). When I mentioned that one time to a musician friend of mine I was told that there are distinct similarities between those two types of music and that they are considered to be closely related. Since he got rather technical on the similarities (had to do with the way the music is structured) much of what he explained went over my head (not too familiar with music theory, I merely know what I like), but based on the map shown on the wikipedia page above, it certainly sounds like my friend knew exactly what he was talking about.

Ken

Old 03-10-2008, 04:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Historical time line of the Celts

Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,026,356 times
And what about Vercingetorix--- ? The great Celtic leader who was brought to Rome and humiliated..... actually he is a national hero in France.

Vercingetorix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
OMG! In 7th grade we formed teams and had to do a mock election for someone in history. One of my friend's fathers had studied Boudica and we thought she was pretty cool. We had bumper stickers and shirts made "Boudica for President!" Then we had to debate supporters of other leaders

My father's friends wife was writing a book about Boudica at the time, I sent her one of the bumper stickers and she sent me a letter. I have to go home and find it now...I'll let you guys know what the name of her book is.
Who knows? Maybe, we'll soon have our own warrior queen.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:52 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,970 times
As portrayed on the TV show, Boudica was pretty hot. Alas, I'm afraid the same can not be said for our potential warrior queen.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
And what about Vercingetorix--- ? The great Celtic leader who was brought to Rome and humiliated..... actually he is a national hero in France.

Vercingetorix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for posting that link as i've always wondered who it was that Ceasar Conquered when he defeated the Gauls. Interesting in watching the History of Rome on the Military Channel last Night it featured this battle and said that once Ceasar had defeated the Gauls he slaughtered 1 million people as they were calling it Genecide which i never knew he had done that until watching that show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History