Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmbrwn View Post
Hotpotato, Twister, Tipit, my brother's had toy guns that had metal tips. Loved little kiddles. The Nicole doll. Remember with the tear on her face? I remember a ballerina doll who had hair that you could make longer? Question for anyone out there.... I remember plastic bug's that you could put the feet on etc, cannot remember what they were called??? I remember they had yellow feet that always came off. And antenae? It's "bugging" me that I can't remember!
Pretty sure you mean the "Cootie Bug".

Which is what Stevie Linklin*, the little boy who lived next door to me, was full of.

*Name has been changed to protect the innocent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 02:53 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
My trusty View Master was always great for a rainy day.

View-Master : Retro
OMG!!!
I'd all but forgotten about that one!
(have to face the lamp on those rainy days)
Archie was my fave!!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:55 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,906 times
Erector Set
Big Wheel with the spin-out handle, spun the rear wheels right off
Hot Wheels, had a Thundershift 500 set where you pull the handle as the car made a turn and it would sling it around the track.
G.I. Joe with the Kung-Fu grip
Battleship
Magic 8 Ball
Toss Across, still remember the commercial of the dog picking up the beanbag and completing the tic-tac-toe.
Army Men
Tonka Trucks and construction equipment
Aurora AFX
Stretch Armstrong
Electric Football, I had 4 teams in my set (Dolphins-Steelers-Cowboys-Redskins). Total piece of junk. Was funny to make all these formations just to move 1/2".
Super Toe which was a field goal game where you would hit the top of the head of the kicker and he would kick a plastic football through a set of uprights. My brother and I would see how far we could go with it and we could get 10-15 feet if you laid the ball flat versus upright, was really cool until we started breaking the balls off the Christmas Tree.
The brother of Super Toe was Super Jock which was basketball.
Merlin
Mattel Football (the original). We would always get into trouble at school because somebody would bring one and we would have games during class.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:20 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,808 times
LOL! I also had more fun w/the cars & trucks than the dolls. When you were building the roads & stuff, did you try lining the 'rivers' with clay and playdough and let them get hard hoping they'd really hold water?

And now I'm married to a highway engineer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Bobmulk, check out the fantasy film, Indian in the Cupboard. I loved the little figure, brought-to-life.

For a girl, I loved playing with cars, too! My favorite was a celery-green Chevy Corvair that Ralph Nader single-handedly got off the market years later (the real thing, not my toy). My sisters and I would scrape roads in the dirt, under one of the trees in the backyard, make bridges over the roots, and build houses with whatever was readibly available. I always wanted to "five finger discount" the boys' lego bricks to build some great houses, but looking back, they really weren't to scale with my Corvair model.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Pretty sure you mean the "Cootie Bug".

Which is what Stevie Linklin*, the little boy who lived next door to me, was full of.

*Name has been changed to protect the innocent.
Thank you! I actually remembered last night!

PS: Sorry to hear about the neighbor! Sounds like one of mine.

Last edited by Rmbrwn; 01-24-2010 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: a ps:

Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,374 times
My older sister's had Shirley Temple Dolls. We killed them all though. My brother used to have these cool army scope things that you could see around corner's with. Had little mirrors in them. I always thought walkie talkies were the greatest. I had more fun playing with my brother's toys! Matchbox racecare sets were the best too. I read on here that some one still has a little kiddle? Awesome!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,919 times
Default Furry Critter

Does anyone remember a toy from late 60's early 70's that had a leather strip on the bottom, fur on top with googlie eyes on it? You petted it and it squirmed like it was crawling? Probably about a foot in length? I can't for the life of me remember what they were called.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,886 times
I had a shmo game. Pat your head and rub your tummy and say I'm a BIG Schmo. I've looked for one of those all over and can't find one. It's funny an old school friend reminded me we used to play that game

Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,214,576 times
Anyone remember the precursors to electronic football games, like the one where you inserted miniature LPs into a miniature player for each play, or the one where you selected and offense and defense "card" and would spin a little round ball to see the outcome, or the one that was a big football field and you each pushed a button to light up the result of the play?

And how's this for obscure: anyone remember the board game "Ellsworth Elephant??"

Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,214,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Easy Money (a board game).
I remember that, great game! One kind of similar I think was "Pay Day."

Board games (or as my grandmother called them, "bored games") were great. Nothing like it on a rainy day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History