Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

Morrocans can certainly be very dark, but they seem more akin to Arabs than say, West Africans.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 41,133 times
Default The Moors and Spain

To announce that the Moors were not Berber, or the Berbers were not black, is nonsensical. The Moors, and countless other tribes and groups, came from (vast) amorphous regions of Northern and West Africa with-no boundaries--overlapping one another to such an extent as to make any generalizations about them (or the Berbers) absurd. The Moors were darker maybe (at first), but the Berbers were no English Roses.

They were all 'Negroes' (for want of a better word), so I don't quite get the thread..

And needless to say, shaken, mixed, stirred, or camouflaged, not one of them could have sat down in a cafe in Alabama in 1965, and so much as bought a cup of coffee.

One thing is beyond dispute though, the Moors (and their brethren) ruled the huge European lands of the blond Visigoths, up to the Pyrynees, and as far west as Portugal--- fairly, tolerably and highly competently, for 1000 years...

Only Ferdinand and Isabella, after 100s of years of half-hearted attempts (with the little backing or success) by their predecessors, managed to complete the Reconquista.

Terror and the counter-reformation and the unholy Inquisition began soon after this event..

Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,764 times
No, the Moors were not "black" as in negro.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 41,133 times
Default Italy always existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Neither the Moors nor any Arabs ever invaded Italy. Italy did not exist until the 19th
century. What is now the Italian peninsula, still, never was invaded on land.
Sicily, however, was.

Italy always existed. Or did the the boot did just pop up out of the sea in 1861?

Where did the Romans hail from then?--Michelangelo, Raphael?--The High Italian Renaissance of c. 1500? Of course what you mean is the unification of Italy in modern times.

Oh, the Moors conquered Southern Italy and Sicily al right, and the Southern Italians must have been, for a good time, quite grateful..

Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Quote:
Go back and read the previous pages for the case and proof that shows they were indeed "black" aka "negro" even if their physical appearance was not universally what you would define as such.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM

283 posts, read 508,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I think the Moors in Spain were Berbers, to a large extent anyway.

The Moops were barbers? Ya mean they cut hair?

Hmm...but the question still begs: were they block?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:26 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Go back and read the previous pages for the case and proof that shows they were indeed "black" aka "negro" even if their physical appearance was not universally what you would define as such.
No, I will not, because I know what I know.
The Moors were not BLACK.
have a nice day.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Quote:
No, I will not, because I know what I know.
The Moors were not BLACK.
have a nice day.
This is the official Coat of Arms for the Kingdom of Aragon. In the lower left corner it commemorates the four Moorish Kings killed in battle by Pedro VIII in 1096...

This is the actual depiction of the Coat of Arms made between 1370-1440:

Here is a statue of Saint Benedict the Moor at a Franciscan Church in Santiago de Compostela, Spain:

A painting depicting the conquest of Mallorca in 1229:

Renaissance Era painting of Moors as seen in the Late Medieval period:

A depiction of the Battle of Roncevaux in 778 between Roland and Marsile:

Apparently you need to re-examine what you "know". As was stated earlier in the thread, not every Moor was "black" per our modern social definition of what "black" is, but all blacks were certianly Moors to the Spanish and other Europeans of the time. The actual Moorish group that conquered Spain had a wide ranging phenotype owing to natural Berber variation combined with influences from sub-Saharan groups and recent Arab invaders. A Moor in Spain during the period we are talking about could have been as "white" as any European or as "black" as any African in appearance. In terms of genetics, they were all almost universally of African aka "True Negro" descent with a small amount of recent Arab admixture.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 20,520 times
Quote:
To anyone who may be reading this just know anyone who Denys that moors were black (mind you the term moor means black as in black skin as in African) does not understand history or is in denial anyone who says if there were black moors they were slaves also again doesn't understand history because moorish rule in Europe (711-1492) predates the trans-Atlantic slave trade I've seen other post and people like to say they weren't black they were Berber or Arab 1st of all the term Arab doesn't denote a race it denotes the culture of the people of Arabian peninsula who originally were black 2nd the Berbers were also black in general the term sub-Saharan African is a bull**** term people today use to make it seem as if blacks didn't inhabit north Africa which they did (along with the whole world before the European) they try to make it seem as if the people in north Africa today aren't invaders which they are the reason they became dominant was because of the Islamic calipahtes (which were mostly black until the fall of moorish power) when they invaded areas they didn't bring there women and had sex with enslaved (yes mostly white) concubines and after generations became the mixed so called "Arab" you see today also the rise of the ottoman empire (who were also mixed but were more white) had a lot to do with the change of the color but to sum it up the moors were black there's no such thing as a "sub-Saharan African" (the Sahara desert wasn't even always there duhh) Infact blacks still live in north Africa but (because of the mixed raced invader) they were pushed south of the north like in southern Egypt (ancient egyptions were also black) but anyway black Africans were trapped in lol "sub-Saharan" Africa they traveled all around the globe before Europeans did and even taught Europeans how to get to the America's I know this will shock many and many will deny it because there used to learning history through a white supremist mentality where the history is white washed black Africans did nothing and were primitive Europeans discovered everything and civilized the Africans which as I just told you is not true Infact Africans (like the moors) actually civilized Europe so this shatters the white supremist myth so many won't be able to handle it but don't get mad at me get mad at history or atleast honest history

Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Just had a wee read here telling of Arabs with blue, or green eyes, freckles and light skin.

THE CRUSADES: THEIR EFFECT ON ARAB HISTORY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History