Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,618 times

Advertisements

My husband (62 yrs.) tested positive for Whooping Cough (Blood Test for IGA Antibodies) yesterday. We live in Napa, CA. Finally, the third doctor did the blood test (had to send out to a special lab in Utah) that is probably why docs don't do the blood test - because it cost more! First two docs said he had asthma/allergies (which he has never had). He is a runner - 35 miles a week and extremely healthy. This is very serious! All the symptoms as listed in the post above by Opalminor 10-15-10 are right on. He took two rounds of Antibiotics two weeks into onset - that helped alittle. Also, what saved him was taking double doses of Codiene/Nyquil cough syrup - just so he could sleep. The Steroid inhaler and steroid pills did not help. It will be four weeks tomorrow - still violent coughing attacks where he cannot catch his breath. Rather than continuous coughs, he coughs once and then breathes through his nose to catch his breath. I had to take him to the ER last week because he couldn't breath for over 45 seconds and almost passed out. They ran all tests, CAT, Chest X-Ray - all clear. He has had bronccitis in the past - it was NOTHING like this! He said in his entire life - has NEVER been this sick! NO one is talking about it here with respect to adults. Only for children - by law, they must be vaccinated before going back to school this Fall 2011. No one is talking about adults getting this and it is serious. For elderly, infants, smokers - would be very difficult. I did get the vaccine two weeks into him having the cough. I felt flu like and sharp pains, headache for 5 days. So far, I have not gotten the Whooping Cough symptoms. It was worth taking a chance on getting the vaccine. You do not want to get this bacteria!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The reason the healthcare providers you went to see were "clueless" about Whooping cough is because it had been basically eradicated in this country for years...Many docs in practice today never saw a case during their training.

There has been a resurgence of the disease over the past 5 years or so as more parents forego vaccinations....
Coughing Up the Facts on Whooping Cough For pertussis cases in which vaccination historys are known, up to 88% were of people who HAD been immunized....After the U.S. mandated whooping cough vaccination in 1978, the incidence tripled in the next 8 years..In 2006 the cdc recommended another dose.....Epidemics in FULLY vaccinated populations are the rule rather than the exception.5 More Cases Of Whooping Cough In Vaccinated Children, Non Vaccinated Blamed! | Vaccine Risk- Educate Before You Vaccinate!

Old 07-02-2011, 06:57 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Coughing Up the Facts on Whooping Cough For pertussis cases in which vaccination historys are known, up to 88% were of people who HAD been immunized....After the U.S. mandated whooping cough vaccination in 1978, the incidence tripled in the next 8 years..In 2006 the cdc recommended another dose.....Epidemics in FULLY vaccinated populations are the rule rather than the exception.5 More Cases Of Whooping Cough In Vaccinated Children, Non Vaccinated Blamed! | Vaccine Risk- Educate Before You Vaccinate!
Blog nonsense again....what a surprise....

Here a few "facts"....something you won't find on an antivaccine blog site

Children who aren't vaccinated against whooping cough are 23 times more likely to develop the disease than children who get all of their shots on time, a new study shows.
Whooping cough, or pertussis, has been making a resurgence in recent years as more parents decide not to vaccinate their children, says Jason Glanz, author of a study in today's Pediatrics.
Children's Healthcare Associates

Old 07-02-2011, 11:37 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

Yes, immunity eventually wanes after vaccination for pertussis and boosters are necessary. Bottom line: get the booster!

By the way, "natural infection" with pertussis does not always confer lifelong immunity:

Laboratory-confirmed reinfections with Bordetella ... [Acta Paediatr. 2002] - PubMed result

The vaccine is safe, effective, and can prevent the misery described by the whooping cough victims in this thread.

Adults should ask their doctors about TDaP vaccine.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
DPT and DTaP Vaccines: Adverse Reactions. Thinktwice!........ some testimonials for anyone interested.https://sites.google.com/site/redrockcloud/

Last edited by purehuman; 07-02-2011 at 01:59 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
orphaned quote....

Testimonials are not science. Do you have any PROOF that any of those children were harmed by vaccines?

Just because symptoms were noted after vaccines were given does not prove that the vaccine caused the symptoms.

We know that for some reason you do not believe in vaccines. However, you never post links to any studies that provide a valid reason for you to feel the way you do. The anti-vaccine blogs and testimonials are not evidence. They are only opinions --- opinions in many cases from parents with children with medical problems that the science tells us would have happened even if no vaccines had been administered.

In regard to the current thread --- which is about adults with whooping cough --- I think it is fair to say that autism is not a concern. The misery the adult sufferers from pertussis have described here should be sufficient motivation for all of us to get TDaP. I have had mine --- though more to protect my granddaughter than myself.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-03-2011 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,832 times
Default suffering from whooping cough

Hi, all.
I am in my 3rd week of whooping cough. I just finished my 4 days of Zithromax. I basically diagnosed myself and pushed and pushed until I got the nasal swab test and the Zithromax. And I must confess that the medicine -is- helping some. I am glad I got a fairly early diagnosis.

The level of ignorance among doctors about this disease is breath taking.
The second doctor I saw for this is a Stanford University Professor of infectious diseases who also specializes in global health. As soon as I said I might have whooping cough she immediately and categorically rejected it. The reason: she couldn't hear me whoop! Had she googled pertussis and looked at the NIH site she would have known that a 52 year old adult is very unlikely to whoop. How is it possible that given the rising number of pertussis cases in California this distinguished doctor couldn't spend a little time online investigating the disease, just as I had done.

The 3rd doctor was the one who grudgingly gave me the swab test. He basically told me that he thought it was a waste of time but that it could help me forget about my idea. He said of all the times he has done the swab test never did it come back positive. After another miserable 2 days the test came back positive.

My friends, this disease is not like any disease I have experienced in my life. I caught influenza a few years ago and it was a breeze compared to this.
On the night of Thanksgiving, 3 nights ago, I had this 3 minute coughing episode during which I whooped. That was the most miserable, scary and horrible time I have had so far. My poor husband was terrified trying to give me support.

I won't go through all of my miseries so far. Many others have spoken on my behalf. Their descriptions are excellent. I would like to emphasize some points:

-Starting the antibiotics as early as possible does seem to help. The trick is to convince the doctor to do the test.

- Taking cough suppressant with codeine(courtesy of the Stanford Prof.) made it worse.

- What helps me most during my worst episodes of coughing, which usually occur in the middle of the night, is to breathe over a boiling pot of water for 5 or 10 minutes. The mucus gets softened and then the coughing brings it up and then I don't cough for some time so I can get some sleep.

-This disease drains you of all energy and makes you hopelessly tired.

- From the start I have had these periodic chills after which I feel warm. This is unique to this bug, I feel.

In principle I can go out in public places tomorrow as I have finished my Zithromax. But I am worried about picking up some cold or flu bug. So I will have to be at home and pray for feeling stronger soon.

All the best to you all and get your booster shots so you won't catch this horrific disease.

Soroor

Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soroor Ebnesajjad View Post
Hi, all.
I am in my 3rd week of whooping cough. I just finished my 4 days of Zithromax. I basically diagnosed myself and pushed and pushed until I got the nasal swab test and the Zithromax. And I must confess that the medicine -is- helping some. I am glad I got a fairly early diagnosis.

The level of ignorance among doctors about this disease is breath taking.
The second doctor I saw for this is a Stanford University Professor of infectious diseases who also specializes in global health. As soon as I said I might have whooping cough she immediately and categorically rejected it. The reason: she couldn't hear me whoop! Had she googled pertussis and looked at the NIH site she would have known that a 52 year old adult is very unlikely to whoop. How is it possible that given the rising number of pertussis cases in California this distinguished doctor couldn't spend a little time online investigating the disease, just as I had done.

The 3rd doctor was the one who grudgingly gave me the swab test. He basically told me that he thought it was a waste of time but that it could help me forget about my idea. He said of all the times he has done the swab test never did it come back positive. After another miserable 2 days the test came back positive.

My friends, this disease is not like any disease I have experienced in my life. I caught influenza a few years ago and it was a breeze compared to this.
On the night of Thanksgiving, 3 nights ago, I had this 3 minute coughing episode during which I whooped. That was the most miserable, scary and horrible time I have had so far. My poor husband was terrified trying to give me support.

I won't go through all of my miseries so far. Many others have spoken on my behalf. Their descriptions are excellent. I would like to emphasize some points:

-Starting the antibiotics as early as possible does seem to help. The trick is to convince the doctor to do the test.

- Taking cough suppressant with codeine(courtesy of the Stanford Prof.) made it worse.

- What helps me most during my worst episodes of coughing, which usually occur in the middle of the night, is to breathe over a boiling pot of water for 5 or 10 minutes. The mucus gets softened and then the coughing brings it up and then I don't cough for some time so I can get some sleep.

-This disease drains you of all energy and makes you hopelessly tired.

- From the start I have had these periodic chills after which I feel warm. This is unique to this bug, I feel.

In principle I can go out in public places tomorrow as I have finished my Zithromax. But I am worried about picking up some cold or flu bug. So I will have to be at home and pray for feeling stronger soon.

All the best to you all and get your booster shots so you won't catch this horrific disease.

Soroor
Soroor, thank you for sharing. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,832 times
Default Thanks

Thanks so much Suzy.

Also, I forgot to mention that the only medicine that quiets my coughs for a little while during the night is Fisherman's Friend cough suppressant lozenges. These are available over the counter in most drug stores.

Soroor

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Soroor, thank you for sharing. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:41 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorooreb View Post
Thanks so much Suzy.

Also, I forgot to mention that the only medicine that quiets my coughs for a little while during the night is Fisherman's Friend cough suppressant lozenges. These are available over the counter in most drug stores.

Soroor

I swear by those Fisherman Friend!

Anyway..a few years ago my nephew had Whooping Cough, he worked in a hospital at the time and was fully vaccinated ( had to be in order to be employed) ...he was pretty sick too.

When my dd had bronchitis I made her stand over a pot of boiling water as well...sometimes I'd throw a glob of Vicks in it..works wonders. I would also do some 'cupping' on her back..cupping my hand I would do rhythmic pounding on her back ( taught to me by a respiratory therapist many yrs ago) it would loosen up the mucus and ewww it was gross..but effective.

Hope you feel better soon!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness