Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwruger View Post
Coughing subsided a few days after I began antibiotics, but overall feeling of weakness persists into 3rd week of original onset. I WAS in good shape, basketball, weights, etc. Lots of pertussis going around in IN for 2010-2011. According to my daughter-in-law (county RN) there are outbreaks all over, not just in the state of IN. She said that the inside story is that, although whooping cough was nearly eradicated, many immigrants were never inoculated and are likely the source of the reappearance of this rotten ailment.
Actually, it is not necessary to import whooping cough from another country. It is here anyway.

If by immigrants, you mean Mexicans, the rate of immunization in Mexico is high, and Mexico is not seeing whooping cough epidemics.

A big factor in the US is waning immunity in adults. If we can persuade the grownups to get the vaccine, it will help to stop the outbreaks we are currently seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:16 AM

593 posts, read 1,411,420 times
The resurgence of whooping cough is probably a symptom of our ailing healthcare system. For a lot of people I know, when you hit your 20s & 30s, you think you don't need insurance (and can't afford it) and that is when your immunity starts to fade and if no doctor is present to tell you to get re-vaccinated....

Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
The resurgence of whooping cough is probably a symptom of our ailing healthcare system. For a lot of people I know, when you hit your 20s & 30s, you think you don't need insurance (and can't afford it) and that is when your immunity starts to fade and if no doctor is present to tell you to get re-vaccinated....
WOW! How freaky that I found this thread when I did! Just last week I went to my scheduled doctors appointment for my annual physical. I had no idea they were going to keep me captive until I allowed them to give me a series of vaccinations! (kind of exaggerating, but not by much!)

I got a shot for whooping cough, tetanus and some hepatitis shots. I'm not an MD so I don't know what all they were injecting me with. Probably a microchip from the government for all I know! I didn't sign anything, they just gently persuaded me within an inch of my life that I should get it done or ELSE. Now I understand why. My arm hurt for a good 3 or 4 days afterward and I had a big "knot" in my arm, like a goose egg. Now I "pity the fool" virus that comes near me. They'll be decimated by my brainwashing doctors anti-germ serum. Now that I read this thread, I'm glad I got it done. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 AM

16 posts, read 360,553 times
I had not been sick in YEARS!!!! I mean it! Not a cold, not a sniffle, nothing. . Like 7 years others would get sick around me and I'd NEVER get sick. . .

Well, a few years back I got REAL sick. . didn't know what it was but I couldn't breath and took a trip to the ER . . turn out I did have whooping cough.

I had a 5 month old at the time who was breastfeeding and unvaxed. . .The docs warned me about keeping her near me and said I needed to have someone else watch her.

But after research I found breastmilk can protect against that yucky disease sooo i continued nursing AND kept a mask on and was super careful at other times..

she never got it.

I recovered after about 5 weeks and I am ok now. . I have no after effects

My situation is not true for everyone nor do I claim it to be

Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeangels View Post
I had not been sick in YEARS!!!! I mean it! Not a cold, not a sniffle, nothing. . Like 7 years others would get sick around me and I'd NEVER get sick. . .

Well, a few years back I got REAL sick. . didn't know what it was but I couldn't breath and took a trip to the ER . . turn out I did have whooping cough.

I had a 5 month old at the time who was breastfeeding and unvaxed. . .The docs warned me about keeping her near me and said I needed to have someone else watch her.

But after research I found breastmilk can protect against that yucky disease sooo i continued nursing AND kept a mask on and was super careful at other times..

she never got it.

I recovered after about 5 weeks and I am ok now. . I have no after effects

My situation is not true for everyone nor do I claim it to be

Breast milk is only "protective" against pertussis if the mother has antibodies against the disease...

Since you clearly didn't have the antibodies proven by the fact that you had the disease your breastmilk would not have offered your child any protection..

You are lucky your child didn't get seriously ill....

This is why "internet research" by people who don't understand what they are researching is dangerous.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Breast milk is only "protective" against pertussis if the mother has antibodies against the disease...

Since you clearly didn't have the antibodies proven by the fact that you had the disease your breastmilk would not have offered your child any protection..

You are lucky your child didn't get seriously ill....

This is why "internet research" by people who don't understand what they are researching is dangerous.

There is a ton of evidence that breastmilk protects baby from many illnesses if done exclusively. . The medical journals provided to me from my own doc does not specify diseases rather claims "all infectious diseases." Breastfed babies are hospitalized less and get sick less from ALL diseases. While what you say is true, there is nothing you can say that will disprove the fact that breastmilk protects from disease whether or not the mother has antibidies (while of course she does offer protection from those she has antibodies for)

Not sure about your internet comment but I rarely do research online. . .Unless it's a medical journal or a credible site, I like to read books and talk to chiropractors and Peds and Naturopaths and such. I like to attend seminars hosted by those with experience and titles. . .

I actually chose not to vaccinate based on the CDC website and the WHO and AAP sites. . .. Fact. . I used the facts that seemed to be the most credible and common and popular and trusted and I used that info. .

I am a LLL member and have done much research on breastmilk and it's disease fighting properties. I am confident in my choice and would do it again.

The safest place for my baby IS in my arms

[CENTER]Tropical Pediatrics also found significant amounts of antibodies in breast milk to whooping cough, HIB, strep B infection and meningitis.

'Samples may indicate a protective role for breast milk against the four infections of early childhood.' Tropical Pediatrics, 1989, 4: 226-232.

According to the journal of epidemiology, breast milk protects against HIB for up to 10 years after you have stopped breast feeding.

'For each week of breast feeding, the protection improved.' (Journal of Epidemiology, 1997, 26: 443-450).

Fatality from measles in third world children was REDUCED BY ONE THIRD in breast fed children, according to:

17. Lepage P. Munyakazi C, Hennart P. Breast feeding and hospital mortality in children from Rwanda. Lancet 1981;i:40911

Did you know that Albert Sabin, inventor of the oral polio vaccine, did the first study on the anti-polio properties of breast milk? He infected mice with polio and then took breast milk from 71 American women and fed it to the mice. The breast milk had an 84% success rate at neutralising polio. (Albert Sabin and Howard Fieldsteel, 'Anti-poliomyelitic Activity of Human and Bovine Colostrum and Milk', Journal of Pediatrics, 29 (1962). [/CENTER]

Not sure if this is quoted right. I had copied it from the paperwork I have in a file folder with printed pages of journal entries

Old 02-22-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Actually, it is not necessary to import whooping cough from another country. It is here anyway.

If by immigrants, you mean Mexicans, the rate of immunization in Mexico is high, and Mexico is not seeing whooping cough epidemics.

A big factor in the US is waning immunity in adults. If we can persuade the grownups to get the vaccine, it will help to stop the outbreaks we are currently seeing.

h

Last edited by threeangels; 02-22-2011 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: read post wrong

Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
A long time ago my mother told me about whooping cough and how babies used to die of it. That was before vaccinations. She said the baby would have this horrible cough that sounded like hoop-hoop-hoop and they couldn't get their breath.

She said the disease was recognized by the unique sound of that cough. BTW it is pronounced Hooping cough, not wooping cough. I'm hearing so many people mispronounce it. Maybe that's a good thing, meaning that it's been mostly gone for such a long time.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
i had whooping cough when i was 2, took 2 months before i was allowed back in nursery school (UK)
then i got it again when i was 6... again 8 weeks out of school, takes about 3 months for me to be back to 100% normal...

then i came over here and had to have the whooping cough vaccine to get into high school (i was 16), told them id had whooping cough twice as a young child and asked if that would be a problem...they said no...14 days after the shot...i got whooping cough...they thought i was crazy at first....nope, full blown wholing cough, took me out of school for 7 weeks and took about 4 months before i felt "normal"

i then had to get it again 2 yrs ago...14 days later, yup you guesed it...and it took about 6 months before i felt "normal" after that one... (no school to worry about though but i ended up getting laid off form the new job that id had to get the vaccine for because i had to take almost 2 months off...lol.)

so now, now i flat out refuse to ever get the pertussis vaccine ever again cause aparently it hates me...
im the same way with german measles, NO immunity no matter how many times they jab me...and i cant be around anyone whos had the german measle vaccine for 14 days after the shots...

vaccines are great when they work...but when they dont...not so fun!
i have found that the actuall illness is worse when your young, BUT you recover quicker...
getting it when your older keeps the symptoms miserable but not as bad as they are for kids...but it tends to linger alot longer.

and your absolutly right, many doctors dont even think to consider whooping cough as a diagnosis, though i think with the reacent re-emmergence i think more drs are going to be becomming much more familiar with it.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeangels View Post
There is a ton of evidence that breastmilk protects baby from many illnesses if done exclusively. . The medical journals provided to me from my own doc does not specify diseases rather claims "all infectious diseases." Breastfed babies are hospitalized less and get sick less from ALL diseases. While what you say is true, there is nothing you can say that will disprove the fact that breastmilk protects from disease whether or not the mother has antibidies (while of course she does offer protection from those she has antibodies for)
You are interpreting breast feeding as absolute protection against all infectious diseases. It confers reduced risk, but not absolute protection. Bluedevilz post is correct. You obviously were breastfeeding your baby at a time when you had not produced adequate antibodies to pertussis, thus putting your infant at risk.

Quote:
Not sure about your internet comment but I rarely do research online. . .Unless it's a medical journal or a credible site, I like to read books and talk to chiropractors and Peds and Naturopaths and such. I like to attend seminars hosted by those with experience and titles. . .
It appears that your sources are less than credible.

Quote:
I actually chose not to vaccinate based on the CDC website and the WHO and AAP sites. . .. Fact. . I used the facts that seemed to be the most credible and common and popular and trusted and I used that info. .
Where is information on any of those sites that would lead you not to vaccinate? All of them support vaccination.

Quote:
I am a LLL member and have done much research on breastmilk and it's disease fighting properties. I am confident in my choice and would do it again.

The safest place for my baby IS in my arms
Would you carry your baby in your arms in a motor vehicle going 70 miles per hour?

Quote:
[CENTER]Tropical Pediatrics also found significant amounts of antibodies in breast milk to whooping cough, HIB, strep B infection and meningitis.

'Samples may indicate a protective role for breast milk against the four infections of early childhood.' Tropical Pediatrics, 1989, 4: 226-232.

According to the journal of epidemiology, breast milk protects against HIB for up to 10 years after you have stopped breast feeding.

'For each week of breast feeding, the protection improved.' (Journal of Epidemiology, 1997, 26: 443-450).

Fatality from measles in third world children was REDUCED BY ONE THIRD in breast fed children, according to:

17. Lepage P. Munyakazi C, Hennart P. Breast feeding and hospital mortality in children from Rwanda. Lancet 1981;i:40911

Did you know that Albert Sabin, inventor of the oral polio vaccine, did the first study on the anti-polio properties of breast milk? He infected mice with polio and then took breast milk from 71 American women and fed it to the mice. The breast milk had an 84% success rate at neutralising polio. (Albert Sabin and Howard Fieldsteel, 'Anti-poliomyelitic Activity of Human and Bovine Colostrum and Milk', Journal of Pediatrics, 29 (1962). [/CENTER]

Not sure if this is quoted right. I had copied it from the paperwork I have in a file folder with printed pages of journal entries

All of those illnesses presume the mother has either had the natural infection or been vaccinated and has protective levels of antibodies.

If you caught whooping cough, you did not have protective levels of antibodies.

And an 84% rate of breast milk neutralizing polio in mice does not mean that you can just forget vaccinating for polio in humans.

One of the greatest disservices you can do to your children is to deny them the protection of vaccines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness