Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 PM

7,083 posts, read 12,092,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
I am in my late 60's and take NO prescription medications at all. I am in excellent health and stay that way with a healthy vegetarian diet, using Chinese herbs to regulate my blood pressure and cholesterol.

A doctor once told me that prescription drugs weaken your body.
I'm glad it works for you, but I can say differently about some of the people I know.

Without modern pharmacology just for maintenance medication I would loose a number of people. You can't keep people alive with Chrones, immunodeficiency, hemophilia, multiple sclerosis, and severe epilepsy by just long walks and vegetables. Add into the deaths those who had severe infections, accidents or needed surgical intervention (including medications and aftercare), which includes myself (twice for surgery), and you lose another good size group of people.

If you are talking about those who have disorders because of bad lifestyle choices, they need to get their butts up and eat veggies. I'll keep chemicals for keeping myself and my loved ones alive when it's really needed, as well as eat well and exercise to stay healthy.

I'm not sure what kind of medical professional would generalize that much to say that all drugs. Some of them will, especially for lifestyle failings (not sure if it's the drug or the lifestyle though), but considering they and I would not be alive without pharmaceuticals I would say it's false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,471,319 times
Quote:
I am in my late 60's and take NO prescription medications at all. I am in excellent health and stay that way with a healthy vegetarian diet, using Chinese herbs to regulate my blood pressure and cholesterol.

A doctor once told me that prescription drugs weaken your body.
Same here... diet is very important, IMO, if you eat mostly junk, it will affect your health. I use chinese herbs and get acupuncture treatments, no drugs, prescription or over the counter. Between keeping stress levels down, exercising and diet, I think you can prevent a lot of health problems or at the very least keep them to a minimum.

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-30-2009, 03:01 PM

481 posts, read 810,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Same here... diet is very important, IMO, if you eat mostly junk, it will affect your health. I use chinese herbs and get acupuncture treatments, no drugs, prescription or over the counter. Between keeping stress levels down, exercising and diet, I think you can prevent a lot of health problems or at the very least keep them to a minimum.
Yes. It's too bad so many doctors have tunnel vision. We can do so much to stay healthy WITHOUT resorting to chemical pills. My spouse totally controls his blood pressure with Chinese herbs. He got off his meds with their awful side-effects entirely. He has maintained a normal bp now for 5 years with just Chinese herbs. I control my fibromyalgia pain entirely with a Chinese herb formula and Tai Chi.

In truth, only two pharmaceutical drugs actually cure anything.
All the rest of Big Pharma's drugs only manage symptoms. And they often cause such awful side-effects that doctors then prescribe yet another drug for those side-effects! Yikes.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,712,836 times
Diet (which can vary person to person) and exercise can do wonderful things for most and keep you from supporting slime like Glaxo. I have seen the victims of pharma and its not pretty. They get trapped into a cycle of never ending prescription drugs but this was the goal of course. If a natural treatment was so ineffective the FDA would make sure you know its ineffective and not to take it. Natural treatments also vary from individual to individual as do doses.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I'm glad it works for you, but I can say differently about some of the people I know.

Without modern pharmacology just for maintenance medication I would loose a number of people. You can't keep people alive with Chrones, immunodeficiency, hemophilia, multiple sclerosis, and severe epilepsy by just long walks and vegetables. Add into the deaths those who had severe infections, accidents or needed surgical intervention (including medications and aftercare), which includes myself (twice for surgery), and you lose another good size group of people.

Are you implying that you are a medical doctor? In another of your posts you reveal that you are in the industry of finance!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Diet (which can vary person to person) and exercise can do wonderful things for most and keep you from supporting slime like Glaxo. I have seen the victims of pharma and its not pretty. They get trapped into a cycle of never ending prescription drugs but this was the goal of course. If a natural treatment was so ineffective the FDA would make sure you know its ineffective and not to take it. Natural treatments also vary from individual to individual as do doses.
Diet plays a very large part in maintaining good health. Yet doctors rarely talk about it to their patients.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:33 PM

7,083 posts, read 12,092,613 times
Quote:
Are you implying that you are a medical doctor? In another of your posts you reveal that you are in the industry of finance!
I work in the finance department of a hospital, but in that instance I think you misunderstand the meaning of the sentence. A number of people I know would have died without modern pharmaceuticals, more so without modern medical treatments (including myself). I don't think I ever said, or even implied, I was practicing medicine or saving people. I do spend every day around those who do.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I work in the finance department of a hospital, but in that instance I think you misunderstand the meaning of the sentence. A number of people I know would have died without modern pharmaceuticals, more so without modern medical treatments (including myself). I don't think I ever said, or even implied, I was practicing medicine or saving people.
Dear Sub,

Your exact words were . . .
Without modern pharmacology just for maintenance medication I would loose a number of people.
Why would a finance guy say he would lose people? It is what a DOCTOR would say.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,992,983 times
I believe subsound was talking about personally losing people, not professionally. At least that's how I understood it.
BTW my dad was diagnosed with Type I diabetes at 18 years old. He is now a healthy 58 years old with two children, a career and a full, active life. I owe his life and mine to modern medicine.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:32 PM

9,892 posts, read 13,937,075 times
Quote:

If you are talking about those who have disorders because of bad lifestyle choices, they need to get their butts up and eat veggies. I'll keep chemicals for keeping myself and my loved ones alive when it's really needed, as well as eat well and exercise to stay healthy.

I'm not sure what kind of medical professional would generalize that much to say that all drugs. Some of them will, especially for lifestyle failings (not sure if it's the drug or the lifestyle though), but considering they and I would not be alive without pharmaceuticals I would say it's false.
Completely agree!

A great post with a good understanding of the benefits of both modern medicine and a healthy lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness