Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal........my hubby (29) already has high blood pressure.....I belive 140/85 was the last read. He works out 6 days a week, has about 6% body fat and is otherwise very healthy......Not sure what is causing the HB but what can I do to help him lower it? I went out and bought apple cider vinegar but have no idea what i'm supposed to use it for........I took the salt away from him (he put it on almost everything) and now i'm stumped......any ideas????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Here's the deal........my hubby (29) already has high blood pressure.....I belive 140/85 was the last read. He works out 6 days a week, has about 6% body fat and is otherwise very healthy......Not sure what is causing the HB but what can I do to help him lower it? I went out and bought apple cider vinegar but have no idea what i'm supposed to use it for........I took the salt away from him (he put it on almost everything) and now i'm stumped......any ideas????
I'm sorry, but to me 140/85 is NOT high.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:51 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
140/85 is right on the border of prehypertension-hypertension stage I according to JNC 7 guidelines.

JNC 8 guidelines are due out next year and may lower the bar further in terms of "when to treat".

Your husband should be congratulated on positive lifestyle choices. Unlikely that medication would be recommended at this stage but at some point he may have no other choice as positive lifestyle choices alone are not always sufficient to manage hypertension.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/...on/phycard.pdf

Old 08-05-2008, 04:14 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I'd recommend finding a good book on the topic to study--there are lots of positive actions you can take...and maybe those numbers of his are fine for him and might not be so okay for someone else..

Some things to consider--some people are very sensitive to even small amounts of caffeine, so eliminating sodas and coffee or cutting way back can lower numbers...some are salt (sodium)-sensitive and others not at all--which is your hubby? Does he eat a lot of chips and other salted goodies?

Taking fish oil or potassium or magnesium/calcium helps some...I'm not going to go on here as there are many actions to take. Finding a holistic doctor is also a good thing to consider...if you're not into the pills, pills, and more pills frame of mind.

Try taking his blood pressure at home at various times--there will be times when it's higher and times when it's lower. Stress plays a major role in HBP. Yoga/meditation help.

Read a recent article in Men's Health magazine about professional basketball players taking yoga to increase their flexibility and endurance on the court--so it's okay for top athletes to do it--it's mainstream now.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:20 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
140/85 is right on the border of prehypertension-hypertension stage I according to JNC 7 guidelines.

JNC 8 guidelines are due out next year and may lower the bar further in terms of "when to treat".
Uh-huh. Guidelines created by the very people that will profit from treating the supposed high blood pressure...there are a LOT of other factors to consider besides one set of arbitrary numbers. 6% body fat? Come on...how many people have that and are victims of high blood pressure?

Quote:
...but at some point he may have no other choice as positive lifestyle choices alone are not always sufficient to manage hypertension.
Neither are meds. In fact, I believe meds fail more often, and have a higher incidence of side-effects, than lifestyle changes.

Something tells me you're in the medical field...

Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
Is it hereditary?

Also, garlic lowers blood pressure.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:31 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
What I would be asking him is if he takes any supps for lifting etc.

Those can cause issue.

When/where did he get this reading? (BP)

Old 08-05-2008, 05:00 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Uh-huh. Guidelines created by the very people that will profit from treating the supposed high blood pressure...there are a LOT of other factors to consider besides one set of arbitrary numbers. 6% body fat? Come on...how many people have that and are victims of high blood pressure?

Neither are meds. In fact, I believe meds fail more often, and have a higher incidence of side-effects, than lifestyle changes.

Something tells me you're in the medical field...

Untreated hypertension is an independent risk factor for heart disease, kidney disease and stroke.....doesn't matter whether your body fat is 6% or 36%...

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/be_wel...sease_too.aspx

Of course, you figured it out the JNC Guidelines have nothing to do with the best minds in the field of heart disease and hypertension coming to a consensus based on the best research available on how to treat hypertension and decrease the morbidity and mortality related to this condition....it is actually a marketing tool designed to fatten the wallets of physicians

Do meds sometimes fail and come with side effects, yes...
But if lifestyle improvements have failed as well, what choice does one have? Leave the hypertension untreated and roll the dice on NOT having a heart attack or stroke I suppose...that is certainly an individual's choice....doesn't make it smart, but it is certainly a choice....

Old 08-05-2008, 05:00 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
There have been studies indicating the link between oxidative stress and blood pressure. Oxidative stress comes from excessive exercise. If one does not protect against the damage done by the Ox Stress there are early effects on BP and long range effects on many other areas because of the DNA damage that is done. If anyone does a lot or exercise, be sure to look into ways to prevent the resulting Oxidative Stress. This not new, the problems associated with the stress are well documented. A couple of links to studies are below
SpringerLink - Journal Article

Oxidative stress in leukocytes is a possible link between blood pressure, blood glucose, and C-reacting protein

Oxidative stress-induced dysregulation of arteriolar wall shear stress and blood pressure in hyperhomocysteinemia is prevented by chronic vitamin C treatment -- Bagi et al. 285 (6): H2277 -- AJP - Heart and Circulatory Physiology

Old 08-05-2008, 05:11 PM

201 posts, read 964,118 times
All great responses above. I agree that 140/85 is not high. The 140 is on the high side of normal. My question is how often have you taken the BP and is there a trend of any kind? When was the last physical he's had and what where the findings if any?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness