Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 08:22 AM

434 posts, read 1,041,023 times

Advertisements

I need to lower my blood pressure asap so I can get a job. So I'm going to explain what I'm going to accomplish this please add or tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. I'm 21yrs old 6ft 200lbs( was 180-190 months ago). I been living off rice and beans for a couple months now. Drunk lots of water, ate veggies, I really watched my sodium intake. Just occassionally went off track eatting junk food and stuff. But I haven't done much exercise. And I guess the overconsumption of rice, sitting on my butt all day, and the occassional junk food made me gain weight and get high blood pressure. Also I tend to stress a bit (not stressing is not an option. I plan, I get anxious, I worry, its just the way I am). My blood pressure was 158/80 I think and within a few days I need to get it down below140/90 with in a couple days. So my plan is to lower my rice consumtion but still eat rice and beans. Eat veggies such as sweat potatoes, lima beans, brocolli, and carrots. No junk food at all. Drink lots of water. I don't drink alcohol or caffefine also I don't smoke. I'm also going to do exercise 1hr, 3 times a day walking, running, push ups, sit ups, lifting. Lastly I'm going to take these pills called hawthorn Berry Extract. Am I on the right track?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
I think you are on the right path, but you are pretty darned young to have readings that high. I was 60 before mine got to that level. BP varies a lot during the day. If you can manage it get it tested early in the day and about an hour after exercising.

I also think the exercise you have planned is a bit much....1 hour of cardio per day would be enough, and get your heart rate up to 120 bpm if you can....I also stongly suggest you see your doctor and perhaps he will prescribe Ramapril for a start. Ramapril has minimal side effects. Hyper tension is known as the silent killer.

There are some natural remedies that may help. I take 150 mg of coenzyme Q10 per day, garlic supplements or natural garlic, fish oil, and folic acid. You are already taking hawthorn extract which is good.

Natural Remedies for High Blood Pressure

Old 04-05-2008, 10:10 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,904 times
I find the answer to the stress reduction is running. I can be at the end of my rope, and a jog will not only cut the edge off the stress it but will often let me solve the issue. I also have to take low dose of BP meds. They did a two med program (Terazosin and Benicar) at very low doses to keep it in normal ranges regardless of my stress level. With the low dose, and the running /walking I find I stay in the 120/70 range with no side effects.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:49 AM

756 posts, read 2,574,826 times
why do you have to get it lowered so fast. My thoughts are you cant lower it in a few days. It took time to get it that high....it willtake time to lower it....

How did you get the reading??? MD office?? my guess it go to a pharmacy, where they have the machines you can sit in, try it there. the anxiety of the MD visit may have increased your reading from your usual baseline reading...

Do you have a family history of HTN (hypertension)??

Old 04-05-2008, 02:21 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
I need to lower my blood pressure asap so I can get a job. So I'm going to explain what I'm going to accomplish this please add or tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. I'm 21yrs old 6ft 200lbs( was 180-190 months ago). I been living off rice and beans for a couple months now. Drunk lots of water, ate veggies, I really watched my sodium intake. Just occassionally went off track eatting junk food and stuff. But I haven't done much exercise. And I guess the overconsumption of rice, sitting on my butt all day, and the occassional junk food made me gain weight and get high blood pressure. Also I tend to stress a bit (not stressing is not an option. I plan, I get anxious, I worry, its just the way I am). My blood pressure was 158/80 I think and within a few days I need to get it down below140/90 with in a couple days. So my plan is to lower my rice consumtion but still eat rice and beans. Eat veggies such as sweat potatoes, lima beans, brocolli, and carrots. No junk food at all. Drink lots of water. I don't drink alcohol or caffefine also I don't smoke. I'm also going to do exercise 1hr, 3 times a day walking, running, push ups, sit ups, lifting. Lastly I'm going to take these pills called hawthorn Berry Extract. Am I on the right track?
I use a Naturopathic doctor who on a daily basis shows patients how to lower their blood pressure using natural methods including diet and supplements and he's been doing it for 25 years. His office has patients all over the world that they consult via telephone appts. If you want the contact info, email me directly. However one thing that I can think of that you might want to be SURE you are doing is eating long grain brown rice NOT WHITE RICE. Also www.healthy.net is a great holistic health website you might want to check-out and you might find some free recipes at Healthy Healing for heart health and lowering blood pressure. However, the quickest way to get your blood pressure down is to call the Tree of Life Center. I know there is some amino acid that they give people that works almost like magic to lower blood pressure. They are WONDERFUL and charge very reasonable rates!

Old 04-05-2008, 03:22 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Magnesium is very good for BP also. The best kind is the Citrate or Magnesium Citrate which is highly absorable but if you go over 1,000 mg a day it can upset your stomach. Don't take it with any Calcium if you can help it as Calcium competes for those same receptors and usually wins out.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:37 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Although your BP isn't all that high, you still shouldn't have HBP at 21. Losing weight almost always lowers your BP. You should also modify your diet to reduce salt as much as possible (don't just refrain from putting salt on things, look closely at food packages). Sitting around eating rice isn't going to reduce your BP in a few days (I hope you're at least eating brown rice). You should modify your diet to include grains, oats and fiber. You might also want to try drinking 1-2 glasses of red wine at night. These might help lower your BP slowly.

The best way to quickly lower your BP, without a doubt, is cardio. Running/jogging is by far the best way to achieve this. If you have access to an indoor pool or it's warm it's warm enough where you live, then you could use swimming to accomplish the same goal and reduce strain on your joints. You could also use those cardio machines that the gyms have. You should do cardio at least 3 times a week, with at least a 45 minute session. I would do cardio 5 times a week with at least an hour session. Don't lift weights. Although diet will help reduce your BP over time, the most effective non-pharmacolgical way is cardio, cardio and more cardio.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 AM

12 posts, read 62,410 times
You are on the right path Ericmrtt. But too much is too bad. Doing work-out for 1/2 an hour and a brisk walk in the morning will be enough. Everything else is ok.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:47 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedder08 View Post
You are on the right path Ericmrtt. But too much is too bad. Doing work-out for 1/2 an hour and a brisk walk in the morning will be enough. Everything else is ok.
Totally agree. I was diagnosed with a high BP at 24 (not overweight, never smoked) and everyone said I was very young for it to be so high, so I had a million tests and they found nothing. Jogging/ running is the best way to keep it down, but as per the comment above, your plan seems a bit overboard.

Plus if you aim that high, you'll never keep it up and then you'll more than likely feel defeated and give it up altogether. Anything helps - even running for 20 mins every other day brought mine down a bit. It was better when I did half an hour, but any exercise helps.

I honestly think it's stress that causes it with me - I'm exactly the same. Go with the running thing, it helps both.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Magnesium is very good for BP also. The best kind is the Citrate or Magnesium Citrate which is highly absorable but if you go over 1,000 mg a day it can upset your stomach. Don't take it with any Calcium if you can help it as Calcium competes for those same receptors and usually wins out.
My naturopath recommends Chelated Magnesium which is most absorbable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness