Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:16 PM

46 posts, read 542,433 times

Advertisements

So my PA says that I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure at 22. My eating habits and exercising is not what's causing it because I exercise 5 days a week and eat healthy.
Yet...I wasn't given ANY type of medication. This was several weeks ago.
I since went in for a non-related issue...and has high blood pressure again, but nothing was really mentioned about it.
While running I find my chest tightens up and it gets harder to run because it hurts...the pain also migrates to my left or right upper arm...kind of like the shoulder area where the collar bone meets...if that makes sense. Could this be caused by the high blood pressure?
Also, if I get bad news...which I do at least once a week about my family...I find that my chest just doesn't seem to 'relax'. My pulse quickens and I can't seem to catch my breath. Just stress? I don't know...
Mostly I want to know....is it normal not to get any type of medication for high blood pressure when you have it 9 out of 10 times you go the DR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 04:37 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
You know I hear so many people getting checked and having high BP and it just gets swept under the rug...I don't get it...

If I were you...you have classic signs of high blood pressure...It is dangerous and if it goes on untreated, you can and will do serious damage...Make an appt. for a physical with blood work. You need to really get that checked. You are so young...

What about your blood work? How is your cholesterol? You really should have a total check at least once a year....

Isn't funny how we HAVE to change our oil in our cars after so many miles...and do so religiously??? But when it comes to our own bodies giving us signs of a 'break down' in the near future...we question it? And put it off until the worse happens...

Old 02-22-2008, 04:44 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Reyven..I suggest another doctor..I believe now adays it is pretty standard procedure for the Dr. to have you monitor your blood pressure 3-4 ntimes a day for a week, write it down, and bring it with you along with your bp monitor so he can get an idea about if you do have high bp or if maybe you were nervous when they took it at the drs office..Just because you are only 22 is not a reason to dismiss the fact that you have chest pain..It could also be caused from other things such as anxiety attacks..Please find out..

Old 02-22-2008, 05:36 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyven View Post
So my PA says that I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure at 22. My eating habits and exercising is not what's causing it because I exercise 5 days a week and eat healthy.
I since went in for a non-related issue...and has high blood pressure again, but nothing was really mentioned about it.
While running I find my chest tightens up and it gets harder to run because it hurts...the pain also migrates to my left or right upper arm...kind of like the shoulder area where the collar bone meets...if that makes sense. Could this be caused by the high blood pressure?
Also, if I get bad news...which I do at least once a week about my family...I find that my chest just doesn't seem to 'relax'. My pulse quickens and I can't seem to catch my breath. Just stress? I don't know...
Mostly I want to know....is it normal not to get any type of medication for high blood pressure when you have it 9 out of 10 times you go the DR?
Time to get off this thread and DEMAND a better explanation from your physician. Your post presents a very atypical picture of hypertension, making it impossible to answer your question about drug therapy. You don't state ethnicity, family history, smoking or EtOH habits, cholesterol, etc.
HOWEVER, these factors are more appropriate to chronic elevation of BP, especially if it is both systolic and diastolic. Your post also does not specify how "high" your BP is. Therefore, no comment can be made on severity.

You are describing unusual physical symptoms that may be acute vs chronic, that may be non-cardiac vs cardiac, that may be stress, etc. Exercise induced chest pain and tachycardia would be an unusual presentation for essential hypertension in a 22 year old (unless you are morbidly obese). Many of these questions may be appropriately addressed by a stress EKG.

I hope you will press your physician to listen to your feedback in detail and either refer you to a cardiologist for further study or explain to your satisfaction why your presentation is so unusual. Do not sit quietly until you have an explanation that rules out potentially serious causes. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:10 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Default Numbers?

Quote:
How high is your blood pressure?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:40 PM

Thank you all for your replies...unfortunately I cannot get another doctor right now, she's kind of appointed to me...but I can and will talk to her about it more in depth

My BP is normally 140/90...sometimes higher sometimes lower....the lowest I've seen it was 133/75 or somewhere along those lines, which that reading I believe is normal?

GLS: To try and answer some questions of yours:
22 y/o female, Caucasian, no smoking, healthy weight, healthy eating habits, no family history that is known.

Had some blood tests down several weeks ago that showed slight anemia, been taking iron supplements for that...but my BP has been high on several occasions before diagnosed with that...as far as Cholesterol...I don't know what my Cholesterol is.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 PM

140/90 is borderline between prehypertension and stage 1. I would imagine your healthcare provider would rather just monitor it instead of medicating at this point.

The latest guidelines from the National Institutes of Health: What Is High Blood Pressure?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:03 PM

Thank you for that link
But then wouldn't she want to see me at least once a week or something to do a reading? Perhaps I'm just over worried about it, but I'd rather be over worried then never think about it!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:58 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
My DH was diagnosed with hypertension at age 21 and he has been on medications ever since. It is hereditary in his family. Hypertension and heart disease also runs in my family (although I've alluded it thus far).

140/90 may be borderline hypertension but my understanding in talking to a nurse yesterday is that guidelines for hypertension are going to be lowered so you would already be considered hypertensive.

I would definitely insist on meeting with your doctor to discuss this. I would first think "white coat syndrome" as a possibility but you have other symptoms and as you have described them I think a full physical including an EKG and full blood workup should be done to rule anything serious out.

As mentioned already, you should monitor your own BP daily - when you wake up, during the day & before going to bed - keep a journal & take it to every doctor's appt.

In this day & age, we need to be proactive in our own healthcare.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Thank you for that link
But then wouldn't she want to see me at least once a week or something to do a reading? Perhaps I'm just over worried about it, but I'd rather be over worried then never think about it!
I agree with "Sampaguita". My MD just asked me to keep a home pressure log and bring it with me every 3 months. If you get a home unit, bring it with you on your next visit so the doc can compare the two devices for accuracy.

Here's a chart you can print.

http://www.omronhealthcare.com/enTouchCMS/FileUplFolder/BPlog.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness