Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:08 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyven View Post
Thank you all for your replies...unfortunately I cannot get another doctor right now, she's kind of appointed to me...but I can and will talk to her about it more in depth

My BP is normally 140/90...sometimes higher sometimes lower....the lowest I've seen it was 133/75 or somewhere along those lines, which that reading I believe is normal?

GLS: To try and answer some questions of yours:
22 y/o female, Caucasian, no smoking, healthy weight, healthy eating habits, no family history that is known.

Had some blood tests down several weeks ago that showed slight anemia, been taking iron supplements for that...but my BP has been high on several occasions before diagnosed with that...as far as Cholesterol...I don't know what my Cholesterol is.
The other posters have given you excellent advice in terms of being proactive in taking your own BP and keeping a log. You gather the data (the more, the better) and your physician can do the interpretation. Remember that you have the advantage of being able to get readings at different times and different settings that your physician doesn't have access to. Take your BP at different times of the day, before, during and after exercising, at times of psychological stress, etc. Think of the pictures that you drew as a kid when you connect the dots. The more data points, the clearer the picture.

I suggest you add a column on your log that has comments. The BP value takes on more meaning if you have an explanatory comment such as "10 minutes after running", or "feeling angry after argument", etc.

Finally, I am particularly pleased that you are going to "talk to your physician in more depth". While 140/90 is not severe (mine was 210/170 just prior to a stroke), your reported physical symptomatology of chest pain, pain radiating down your arms, and shortness of breath merit further evaluation. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 12:54 PM

46 posts, read 542,383 times
I am going to look into getting my own BP monitor and then monitor several times a day for a couple weeks, and then talk with my DR again with the log. Thank you all for the advice!

Old 02-23-2008, 01:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Buying A Home Blood Pressure Unit - Home Blood Pressure Monitoring Patient Instructions - UMHS Approved Clinical Care Guideline

OMRON Healthcare, INC. - Automatic Blood Pressure Monitors (broken link)

Old 02-23-2008, 01:45 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
I am going to look into getting my own BP monitor and then monitor several times a day for a couple weeks, and then talk with my DR again with the log. Thank you all for the advice!

PLEASE, if your having chest pain, and pain the migrates into your arm, then you need to go as soon as posible and speak to yoru doctor, if he doesn't do anything then you need to see another doctor, if you have the kind of insurance that allows you to, I would go and see a cardiologist.

Please don't let this go, your young yes but there are congenital disorders that can cause symptoms like this. My nephew didn't find out until he was in his mid 20s that he had a defective heart valve, they found it out when he was already ill from meningitis, he had to have his heart valve replaced.

He was very healthy, he had been in the Marines and tested and eventually donated a kidney to his Mother, none of this showed up the problem he had until it almost killed him.

This could be VERY serious, it sounds like you need to at least have a stress test. That way they can check and see what your hearts reaction is to the exercise. You mention tightening in your chest, I feel that when I have a panic attack, my blood pressure also goes up but you have to make sure its not your heart.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:23 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Ditto to all. I find that I've had to really take a stand and be very proactive about my health with drs. and the whole medical industry- nurses, pa's, lab techs, even the pharmacist! Listen to your body. You know when something's not right, and posting your question here shows that you are concerned. My husband had a heart attack at 35. He had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and a stressful job. My point is investigate. I would also advise you to seek some relaxation therapy or meditation on your own, you mention a stressful family issue? A therapist could help with that. Best of luck, and let us know how you're doing.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:09 PM

Well because of something else that happened this morning I am going to talk to my PA in the morning. I would have gone today, but the office was closed.
I had a near-syncope episode (fainting) and since then my chest has been tight *Sighs*
I have had a few in the past, but never had it checked out...however because of my high blood pressure and anemia, I am going to talk to my PA about getting an Electrocardiogram done (or any other heart tests or blood sugar tests...something) to rule out any cardiovascular issues. Not sure if I can get one done where I am, but when I get home maybe I can get one

Old 02-24-2008, 11:22 PM

217 posts, read 1,002,842 times
Quote:
Well because of something else that happened this morning I am going to talk to my PA in the morning. I would have gone today, but the office was closed.
I had a near-syncope episode (fainting) and since then my chest has been tight *Sighs*
I have had a few in the past, but never had it checked out...however because of my high blood pressure and anemia, I am going to talk to my PA about getting an Electrocardiogram done (or any other heart tests or blood sugar tests...something) to rule out any cardiovascular issues. Not sure if I can get one done where I am, but when I get home maybe I can get one
Hi. Get your butt in to the Doctor NOW!! Having chest pains is VERY SERIOUS. If you can't see your doc, go to the E.R. NOW! Your body is giving you warnings. You better listen to them!. Go today. Let us know how you are doing. Take care of yourself, skitow.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:19 PM

I did go to the Doctor today...my BP was high 140/90, pulse was about 80 bpm.
Did bloodwork and everything has come back fine. She's keeping me on my iron supplements and said we would have to wait and see how my iron and BP are doing over time.
Cholesterol was 198, mdl 54, ldl 110. I can't remember any of the other results.
So I don't know. My BP isn't that high, and my cholesterol is still in normal levels. It appears that I'm healthy so... *shrugs*

Old 02-25-2008, 01:36 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
I did go to the Doctor today...my BP was high 140/90, pulse was about 80 bpm.
Did bloodwork and everything has come back fine. She's keeping me on my iron supplements and said we would have to wait and see how my iron and BP are doing over time.
Cholesterol was 198, mdl 54, ldl 110. I can't remember any of the other results.
So I don't know. My BP isn't that high, and my cholesterol is still in normal levels. It appears that I'm healthy so... *shrugs*
Did you tell her about fainting, chest pain, tightness in the chest AND pain down your arms??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness