Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,140 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just found this site.
I have hpv b19, diagnosed 4 months ago. I am 67, male and was in very good shape til this. My symptoms were unbearaBLE PAIN IN MY SHOULDERS AND HIPS, EXTREME FATIGUE and lethargy. It was first thought that I had polymyalgia rheumatica.
I was given percoset for the pain and it didn't do a thing! Then prednisol for inflamation which seems to help a lot, but I am loath to stay on it............. I am still very lazy, tired, and discouraged.
I was just told to try a supplement called "Sovereign Silver"... will let you know the results.
\Dave

I am looking for information from other adults who have had Fifths Disease or the Parvovirus (B19)..
It is more common in elementary school children but I have just recently found out that adults can also get this (I happen to be one of those adults right now) and it is horrible.
I am suffering from extremely painful joints and swelling of my fingers & wrists mainly.
My youngest had Fifths Disease ,a very mild case, about 3 weeks ago.

Just wondering if anyone as an adult has had any experiences with it and how long did it last? I am hearing it can be days to months in some people.

The Dr. said to rest, well as most of you know,when you have children, that is a lovely concept, but not realistic. I am on anti-inflammatory but don't seem to have much relief right now.

Thanks for any input...[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,084 times
Hi,

I started this thread 2 years ago when my husband & I both had fifths disease...
I agree, it is horrible!
We had no idea what was wrong and couldn't understand how both of us were suffering from the same symptons at the same time, it was very scary!
We both went to the dr, my symptoms were much worse than my husband's, I could barely walk at times .... My fingers were completely swollen, as though I had a severe case of arthritis.
The dr was somewhat mystified quite honestly!
He said we both must have picked up the same virus but didn't really know what to make of it...
Then, that same day, I was talking to a very close friend who is an elementary school teacher and she asked if either of my children had fifths disease recently and I said "yes, (name) did,about 3 weeks ago! " and she said "Oh my gosh, you probably have the adult version of it!" so we went back to the dr and he said "absolutely,that is what we have and he is sorry he never asked about our children having it". He said it is so rare in adults that they often don't think of it!

I was put on anti-inflamitory and pain killers, my husband's pain was manageable with over the counter... They told us it could last for weeks or some adults depending on how severe their case was, could have lasting effects.
My husband was feeling much better within a week, mine lasted for months and I swear that sometimes, I am still having difficulties from it. My joints are always hurting now, since then...

I understand how it is dealing with this and having to take care of your children as well.
It wasn't easy,but each day did get better... it just took me a little longer.
I wish I had some other advice besides what the dr. said to you, if you have any family around,possibly you can have a few hours to yourself to rest during the week? I didn't (do not) have anyone close by, so it was grueling for me for awhile. Again, it gets better and hopefully you won't have lasting effects!

Good luck & Take Care
I am so sorry you are dealing with this!

Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM

119 posts, read 517,666 times
Hey everyone! I found out I had Fifths Disease about 6 days ago. My 7-year-old daughter and I both got it at the same time. Thankfully, she is feeling fine and is having no ill effects from the disease. I am, however, one of those rare adults who got it too. For the last 5 days I've had a rash that was itchy. The rash was mostly on my legs and arms.

My other major symptom was the painful joints. It started in my feet, which hurt VERY badly for about 3 days. It was so bad I could barely walk at times. Then, it moved to my hands, which has lasted 3 days. My hands and fingers are so swollen that I can't make a fist. My wrists hurt and I feel like they easily "give out" on me.

Over all I feel like an 80 year old with bad arthritis!! I also am fatigued very easily and just try to rest when I feel like I've overdone it! I'm the mother of 3 children aged 7-2 and sitting still and resting isn't really an option for me!

I just wanted to share my story and I'm hoping this doesn't last too long for me!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:28 PM

6 posts, read 39,985 times
Default Still have 5th's after 1year

Hello all...
I have not been on this site for sometime.. sorry to hear of the new stories!!
I have had 5ths for 1 year... currently on Plaquenil (may want to research and consider.. it is used for autoimmune problems, and mileria) and seems to be going well.. if interested there is another forum similar to this one on.. "Wrong diagnosis.com" with lots of info, and stores!! Those having symptoms.. 2 days to years++!!!

My best to all suffering with this horriable disease!!
Cat

Old 04-25-2010, 10:26 AM

6 posts, read 53,622 times
Haven't been on here for awhile, just wanted to check in...I had Fifths in 2008, I still have some side effects, I do not have the same get up and go I used to have before I got Fifth's. Also I still have pain from time to time, depends on what I eat, which is strange. I get bronchits now and never had that before either...so I really feel it affects everyone differently and some side effects can last forever depending on your age and health and also, it does affect women worse than it does men..especially if you are over 50...take vitamins and joint vitamins...eat healthy and exercise....

Old 05-02-2010, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 11,666 times
My son who is 9 has fiths disease but seems to be fine, I now have it and I have been very sick,wondering if I had this the whloe time or two different things,last thurs night which was 10days ago I had a fever with in a few days got up to 102.5, I have not had a fever like that ever as an adult. I was also very tired and week, got better for a few days then low grade fever week, and today sun woke up with the rash,has any one else had symptoms like this?? I dont hurt to bad just ache everywhere, really hoping I dont get the joint pain.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 11,666 times
My son who is 9 has fiths disease but seems to be fine, I now have it and I have been very sick,wondering if I had this the whloe time or two different things,last thurs night which was 10days ago I had a fever with in a few days got up to 102.5, I have not had a fever like that ever as an adult. I was also very tired and week, got better for a few days then low grade fever week, and today sun woke up with the rash,has any one else had symptoms like this?? I dont hurt to bad just ache everywhere, really hoping I dont get the joint pain.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:25 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
Wow! I happened to stumble upon this thread and while it's been here awhile and I didn't read it all, I read the OP and the last 2 posts.

I had this when I was 10. I don't remember now how I felt or what happened, but I'm seeing joint pain mentioned. I have quite a bit of joint pain (hips, knees, fingers/hands). The doctors hint about it being due to my weight (yes, I am overweight), but I get pain my fingers (joints) too, most times very painful. I had been leaning towards carpal tunnel, but now this thread got me wondering. I will have to mention it to my doctor.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 11,519 times
Hi ~ this forum has been very helpful... I was diagnosed with Parvo while I was fighting the Swine flu.
I didn't have a rash, but had a low grade (100-102) fever for almost a week. All of my joints swelled up that I could hardly do anything... Painful!!!! My Dr. put me on prednisone for a week and a half ~ The swelling went down... thankfully. Now 2 weeks later my joints are so sore. All of them. No swelling just a lot of pain! So this sounds "normal" for this virus...
This is a terrible virus and I guess you just have to ride it out ~ is that right?
PAt

Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,519 times
I've had my fifths disease for over 3 months... on prednisone my joints finally felt better, then 3 weeks off the prednisone the pain has come back with a vengeance! Anyone else experience this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness