Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking for information from other adults who have had Fifths Disease or the Parvovirus (B19)..
It is more common in elementary school children but I have just recently found out that adults can also get this (I happen to be one of those adults right now) and it is horrible.
I am suffering from extremely painful joints and swelling of my fingers & wrists mainly.
My youngest had Fifths Disease ,a very mild case, about 3 weeks ago.

Just wondering if anyone as an adult has had any experiences with it and how long did it last? I am hearing it can be days to months in some people.

The Dr. said to rest, well as most of you know,when you have children, that is a lovely concept, but not realistic. I am on anti-inflammatory but don't seem to have much relief right now.

Thanks for any input...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
Awww - I'm sorry your not feeling well. Fifths Disease is terrible. And not common in adults...but like chicken pox...the older you get it...the worse it is. Once the fever is gone you will not be contagious any longer, and while you still won't be 100% you'll feel better. Rest as much as you can. I know I know...I'm a mom too.....rest when you can. Hopefully within a week or two it will pass. Those very long cases I've heard about are extreme - I hope you feel better.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 85,326 times
Default Fifths disease AND Lymes

Hi, I had massive joint pain about 3 weeks ago that sent me to the hospital. It turns out I had Parvovirus (that I got from my 7 year old), and Lymes, which I had supposedly had since last Spring & didn't realize it. From what I've learned about adult Parvo, it can be very rough on someone who is weakened at the time of being exposed to it. I had just recovered from Bronchitis the a few weeks before, and had just returned from a whirlwind trip to Key West. Needless to say, my immune system must have not been at it's best. When I got hit, I got hit hard. I know another girl that got it last month, and her hands and wrists still hurt. It can last anywhere from a month, to years, depending on how your body handles it. Hang in there, and try to rest best you can. I have 3 little ones, so I understand how hard rest can be! Here is a webpage that I came across in my searches dedicated to people with the Parvovirus. groups.msn.com/TheMirandaMissionHumanParvoVirus
Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
I am so sorry to hear you are ill. Several years ago I had Adult Human Parvovirus and the pain was excrutiating. I also had the joint swelling, body aches, fevers but all of it subsided by the 9th day. I found very warm baths with epsom salt helpful. Try wrapping your hands in the moist heating pads. Nic529 is right, do your best to rest and take it easy. Do you have any relatives that may be able to help with your children? Feel better soon!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 170,619 times
Default Maybe it IS Fifths!

Ok, I am not believing what I am reading! These are my symptoms! Finally! I think I have found an answer!

About 2 weeks ago, I woke up to a strange rash all over my body. It only lasted a day or two. About 3 days after that, the joint pain began. It was so painful. My hands, hips, knees and ankles hurt so very badly and were swollen. That night (I am assuming because of the swelling in the shoulder joint) I had a pinched nerve that was so severe it caused me to have to go to the ER.(The pain was WORSE that childbirth! Really!) At the ER they took all kinds of blood tests, all of which came back negative, except for two which suggested some type of inflamation. I went home with some pain meds, but no explantaion. I went to my family dr the next day. She basicly said the same thing about inflamation and gave me some Predisone. The pain and swelling went away. That was about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I noticed the joint pain and swelling is back. I don't know if I can go through this again.

My son came home from school today with fifths. Also I am a Kindergarten teacher (34 yo)and it's going around my room like wildfire. Could this be what my problem is? I would actually be relived. I have been so worried I had something really horrible.

What do you think?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 PM

Yes, these symptoms can last up to 6 months but apparently rare for it to last that long. Take it easy. Have you been to the doctor yet? Make sure this is what you have.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 170,619 times
No, I haven't gone back again. She told me it was more than likely some sort of virus, so I guess thats as much of a diagnosis as I am going to get, however if it flairs up again ( I think it may be heading that direction) I will go back and suggest maybe it could be fifths. Thanks so much!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 PM

Fifth's is a virus, also known as Adult Human Parvo Virus but can lie dormant. The test is just a normal blood test and if memory serves me right, it takes about 24 hours to get teh results back. There is also a range rather than just a pos/neg so you will have a better idea where you are in the cycle of the virus.

I hope you feel better soon. Have you tried capsacin cream on your joints yet? That really helped me!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 116,255 times
Default human parvovirus B19

I contracted Fifth Disease (human parvovirus B19 almost 8 years ago from my then 4 year old son. I believe that I was immunocompromised because I had just received vaccinations for both Hep A and B through my work. After receiving the vaccinations, I went camping with my son and because he was so sick from the Fifth Disease, I slept with him in the camper. This likely gave my an extra heavy dose of the virus. The acute symptoms (which you described) lasted about a year. I had to get several bursts of prednisone throughout the year to alleviate the acute arthritis. It was very debilitating although I could still work as long as had the prednisone in my system as well as daily Vioxx. I went into early menopause and developed thyroid disease. I became one of those 20% that have chronic symptoms from the Disease. It literally ruined my life. I'm not sure why there's so little information on this subject.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 100,727 times
Default 5th's disease in adults

Hi All, I have seen all of your posts, and sorry that you are all sick. I too caught the disease from my daughter in 2006. It's 2008 and I am still dealing with the finger, wrist and elbow pain. While living in NJ, the symptoms would flare here and there, now in NM they are constant. Going to see a dr. to determine why 2 years later I am still dealing with stiffness, pain and swelling in my joints. Pretty sure it's from the 5ths disease, as the pain is exactly the same. Let you all know what I find out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness