Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wash your hands after visiting the restroom?
Yes 168 88.89%
No 21 11.11%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 05:44 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I wash my hands after touching money as well.....

but I agree, we'd save a lot of doctor bills if only we'd be more meticulous about washing our hands.

And I cannot believe so many men do not do so? ewwwwww
I agree with all of this. I am conscious of when handling money also, which is why I have sanitizer in the car and use before even touching the steering wheel. It's good they have wipes available at some stores for the carts, too. I know it might seem crazy, but honestly, I typically do not catch anything as others do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
yes, I leave my shoes at the door as well, (white carpets) but you wouldn't believe the people who just walk into my home, without even wiping their shoes....I saw a special on TV once, and until you have white carpets you cannot appreciate the importance and truth to this, but the bacteria and dirt on your shoes is pathetic....
I know, I have tried to tell people this.. it is so gross. If there are pets, I feel they can get these germs on their paws and lick them.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYLINDA View Post
You missed my point I think. Do you wash your hands after touching your shoes?
I had a boyfriend who I had to get on to do this. Men seem to hold shoes from the sole to place on their foot, then go about their day...eek.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 12-14-2014 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Doing this using a phone.. pain.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:33 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I know, I have tried to tell people this.. it is so gross. If there are pets, I feel they can get these germs on their paws and lick them.
do you find it strange, that when you ask people to take off they're shoes, they not only become offended, but look at you like there is something wrong with you, b/c it is out of their realm of understaning....

For instance, I'm up early every day....love the quiet of the mornings, and its just something I've done as a kid...till now....however, when you tell people, they are horrified, then comes their question...."wull what time do you go to bed?" and when you tell them, they look at you like your some alien...why is it so difficult for people to understand the concept that not everyone thinks and believe's like they do and that doesn't make them right or wrong? (The preceeding paragraph was not a rant, it was in fact, making a point to the topic. )

Old 12-14-2014, 08:26 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
OK, so you wash your hands every time you go to the rest room before returning to work.
Are you aware that the top of the average office desk is more germ laden than a public toilet seat?
Yet, you go to Target and wipe the shopping cart handle with a sanitizing wipe before touching it.
Then you get in your car and touch the steering wheel, another germ laden surface!
Studies have shown that people who are slightly less "clean-freak" actually have fewer illnesses than those who are!
In fact, studies have shown that there is room for concern that we may be sterilizing ourselves into a huge disease outbreak. We have actually tried to become so germ free that our immune systems may be compromised, and when a new bug crops up we may not be able to fight it off!
Those who are less than "clean" may be the only ones who survive!
Great points. I told my daughter to wipe down her office keyboard....over 7,000 different germs/virus found on those things...ew. Are we getting too paranoid? Too clean? you may be right.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
OMG, always!!!!
LOL. We also took a little can of Lysol with us to spray our shoes after stopping at the rest stops...they are always a disaster. I use it in the hotel to clean the toilet and sink counters.....I must be nuts.......

Old 12-14-2014, 08:48 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And the people that do don't actually do it long enough.

A person should use warm, almost hot water, soap, and wash your hands while singing "twinkle twinkle little star" in your head. Until you reach the end of the song, you haven't washed your hands long enough.
If you take too long people will think your a pervert hanging out in the restroom.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:55 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYLINDA View Post
Just wondering how everyone handles their shoes. Have you thought about what those poor things
walk through every day? Do you wash your hands after touching them? Do you walk across your floors with them on when returning home each day? Just something for you to think about!

I kick off my shoes. I only touch them when I put them on.

There was a Seinfeld episode about laces touching the floor and then changing them.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:32 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,784 times
Quote:
Maybe some people use hand sanitizers, but most do not, just this one thread shows you how careless and unthinking people can be....they just don't care....

I started this thread to bring awareness to people....not to argue among ourselves but to consider others....I'm just saying....
I didn't start the argument, just replied to a rude comment on how I would react if I was so rudely bullied.

It seems today, in this world, people really want to be cruel and mean first before they consider others....
I agree. Making a comment to somebody who may or may not have used hand sanitizers about not touching the produce then smirking at the other people present is cruel, mean, and the act of a bully.

Nasty world we live in...

Maybe if someone called you out like that, you could tell them you have to use hand sanitizer.....
that might stop them right in their tracks.
I already stated how I would react if somebody called me out like that. Now if somebody politely pointed out that I hadn't washed my hands and it would be better for me and others if I did, I would tell them why I didn't wash my hands and that I use hand sanitizer when needed.
I am sorry you have MS and sorry for others who have compromised immune systems. But the reason I do not wash my hands in public restrooms is for MY health. And call me selfish but MY health is more important to me than the health of strangers. In no way are the problems I get from using most soaps even close to as bad as MS and other diseases. I am not trying to state or imply that. But I am the one that has to deal with them when they get red, filled with pus, sore, infected, etc.

ETA: I didn't vote in the poll because it was a yes or no answer my answer would be yes most of the time and no some of the time.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:34 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,784 times
I would like to know of the people that are indignant of others who don't wash their hands after using the toilet, do you smoke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness