Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,684,366 times

Advertisements

I had an appt yesterday at the office where I am to have a colonoscopy. First off, I never knew anyone who had to schedule (and pay for) a visit with the GI doc prior to the colonoscopy. Everyone I know just showed up for the procedure.

So during this appt I was given my prep instructions. Again, I have never known anyone who had to go through all of this! (and no, there is nothing "special" about me. This is a routine, first time colonoscopy).

1 week prior to procedure: restrictions on what foods can be eaten (nothing with nuts or seeds of any kind, including tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, and a whole list too long to include here.

Entire day before procedure: NO FOOD, only clear liquids. (not just after midnight, the ENTIRE day before)

Bowel prep day before prodedure: 4 Dulcolax at 9 a.m.; 10 oz Magnesium Citrate at 10 a.m.; GoLightly (gallon of Rx stuff) at 2 p.m.

Day of procedure: Fleet enema 2 hours before procedure.

What do you think? Is this a bit much???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
I have had 2 and I had to see the doctor first. I can't imagine any dictor doing one on a patient they had never seen before! Your restrictions are more detailed than mine were, I started the day before. Maybe you have some indications that require m ore cautiin?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
I am having one next Sunday, I have had several before. You do have to see your doctor first, and get your appointment fixed and your written instructions..but you pay after the exam is over. The instructions are:

1. Begin preparation twelve hours before the exam.
2. Starting the night prior to the exam only liquids with no residuals.
3. 12 hours before you have to start drinking 4 litres of Klean Prep (you should finish all of this in 4-6 hours)
4. Take an enema of clear water in the morning
5. If you are having sedation, someone must pick you up after the procedure.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
My instructions were pretty close to that.

As far as you having to go ahead of time for an initial appointment, many times it depends on your current health and the reason you are having it done.

Consider yourself lucky! I had to have that and on the same day I had to have an upper endoscopy and a couple weeks later I had to have a pill cam done. When the pill cam didn't turn out how they wanted, I had to have ANOTHER pill cam!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,684,366 times
My husband is a few years older than me, and when he had his, his regular doctor gave him the name of a GI doc for the colonoscopy. He didn't have to meet with the GI doc ahead of time. Others have told me they simply got referred by their general doctor.

Then hub only had to do the GoLightly stuff. No mag cit, no enema, no week of food restrictions.

I am so dreading this. Maybe I'm just looking for excuses to bail.

(KIDDING! No lectures about colon health needed. I've listened to Katie Couric!)

Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
Your prep is almost verbatim of mine a few months ago. It's the new guidelines. Your husband's simpler prep is now considered not effective enough for visualization of the colon.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,967,701 times
Yep that's about what I had to go through too. The liquid stuff I had to drink (the gallon one) the night before was brutal . 1 cup every 15 mins for 4 hours or something .. And once that kicked in Ohhhhhh boy. The min I got the cup down I couldnt get off the toilet for the 15 mins till the next cup. By the end by butt was sore and hurting I could hardly wipe!

Old 02-01-2013, 03:54 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,982,765 times
First time referred to the Dr.

Day before take the Ducolax and start drinking that awful stuff they give you and drink that all day.

Drink all clear liquids

By then I was cleaned out

I never heard of needing to do an enema, maybe some Drs. do that before they start the procedure, we might not know it if partly sedated.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
obviously it depends on the doctor. I have heard the preparations have gotten a little more detailed but I have never heard of them as detailed and restricted as yours. Hubby has had 2, both times he did meet with the doctor first...

Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Like I said, it depends on the health of the patient and if there are any other problems going on. I had Severe Iron Deficiency Anemia. I had no problem meeting with the physician first because he needed to learn my history.

I used to work in Internal Medicine and we referred people to GI all the time. They have patient specific guidelines on whether or not you need an eval first or if you can just be scheduled for the colonoscopy.

I had many small underlying conditions so there was no way I was doing it without seeing the dr first. I wanted to go over with him an issue I had in the past with anesthesia for an upper endoscopy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness