Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times

Advertisements

Had mine done yesterday. I hope my comments will encourage those on the fence to have theirs. One thing I have learned, it will be a different experience somewhat for all. Overall, it is not that bad. The prep the day before of drinking Mirilax with gatorade wan't bad either. Just make sure you do this at home. You will run to the bathroom 5-10 times. But really, by 9pm I was done, and was not up all night. And the no food rules was't all that bad. I was less hungry than I thought I would be.

The day of the procedure: You check in, and they send you to a private room where you answer a few dozen medical questions. You get an IV drip put into your hand. This is almost painless. They give you vitamins and hydrate you. Soon after you get wheeled into the procedure room. They add some drugs for sleep and to make you unaware. Here is where I had a different expeirence. I was mostly awake the whole time. I felt the camera go in, but it didn't hurt, just uncomfortable. I do remember I was uncomfortable at one point but overall, it wasn't bad. So I had little memory loss. After they take you back to your room. I think I was semi asleep then. The next thing you know, you are awake and 30 mintues later they let your driver take you home. They found one polup and removed it. I have a follow visit to see if that polup was cancerous or not. That is all they found.

Anyway, I dreaded this for almost a year, and it wan't all that bad. When you start eating again, do it slowly, and don't eat huge meals for a day or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Had mine done yesterday. I hope my comments will encourage those on the fence to have theirs. One thing I have learned, it will be a different experience somewhat for all. Overall, it is not that bad. The prep the day before of drinking Mirilax with gatorade wan't bad either. Just make sure you do this at home. You will run to the bathroom 5-10 times. But really, by 9pm I was done, and was not up all night. And the no food rules was't all that bad. I was less hungry than I thought I would be.

The day of the procedure: You check in, and they send you to a private room where you answer a few dozen medical questions. You get an IV drip put into your hand. This is almost painless. They give you vitamins and hydrate you. Soon after you get wheeled into the procedure room. They add some drugs for sleep and to make you unaware. Here is where I had a different expeirence. I was mostly awake the whole time. I felt the camera go in, but it didn't hurt, just uncomfortable. I do remember I was uncomfortable at one point but overall, it wasn't bad. So I had little memory loss. After they take you back to your room. I think I was semi asleep then. The next thing you know, you are awake and 30 mintues later they let your driver take you home. They found one polup and removed it. I have a follow visit to see if that polup was cancerous or not. That is all they found.

Anyway, I dreaded this for almost a year, and it wan't all that bad. When you start eating again, do it slowly, and don't eat huge meals for a day or so.
thanks for giving us your positive review and it sounds like everything turned out well. I have only heard of a couple people who had it done where there wasn't even a polup found or some other minor things. But overall most have been cancer free and relieved to hear it. I do think most of us hate the thought of the prep, if I have it done again, which I very well may not, because of age, I hope the doctor will choose the pill instead of drinking yuck, but a day or so out of our lives with nothing but yuck to drink won't hurt any of us and may extend our lives a few years, in some cases several years.

You mention not eating a huge meal for a day or so, hubby tried it, didn't work. I took him home, made him some cream of potato soup and he decided that was just the appetizer. By dinner time, I broke down and fixed him a real meal. Of course he will be on his death bed asking "where's dinner"?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
thanks for giving us your positive review and it sounds like everything turned out well. I have only heard of a couple people who had it done where there wasn't even a polup found or some other minor things. But overall most have been cancer free and relieved to hear it. I do think most of us hate the thought of the prep, if I have it done again, which I very well may not, because of age, I hope the doctor will choose the pill instead of drinking yuck, but a day or so out of our lives with nothing but yuck to drink won't hurt any of us and may extend our lives a few years, in some cases several years.

You mention not eating a huge meal for a day or so, hubby tried it, didn't work. I took him home, made him some cream of potato soup and he decided that was just the appetizer. By dinner time, I broke down and fixed him a real meal. Of course he will be on his death bed asking "where's dinner"?

Thanks for your well wishes! I think they want you to eat a little at first to get your system ready for food again. I ate just a little lighter than I usually do. Today it's a different story!!!!! I also lost a couple pounds from this prep, so The fridge is my oyster!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
I was getting mine every 5 years my last a year ago and have not had a normal bowl movement sense,just wondering if they messed up a muscle back there?has any one had this prob?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Thanks for your well wishes! I think they want you to eat a little at first to get your system ready for food again. I ate just a little lighter than I usually do. Today it's a different story!!!!! I also lost a couple pounds from this prep, so The fridge is my oyster!
oh I know you are right, why they do this but hubby thinks the fridge is his oyster all the time. Now go and eat, enjoy and we don't worry about the lab results on the polup, if they expect anything they usually tell you at the time. Good luck again.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Brief synopsis of colonoscopy experience...
My wife and I both had ours last year. Mine went well, no problems, clean as a whistle. Different story for spouse. Found a pollup, cut it off, went home in severe pain, discovered later they perforated her colon ,almost died from bleeding, created a heart problem, 4 days in the hospital, never again she said

Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
A senior citizen friend was prepping for the procedure, following the rules regarding food and drink and taking the stuff they give you. He fainted in the shower and hit his head. this caused balance problems that never went away. He died a year later and had bad balance problems the last year, falling several times. Never had balance problems and never fell down before he hit his head.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
FYI the spelling is polyp.

Also having this procedure done is NOT a no risk venture. Your GI tract could be harmed. Make SURE you are well aware of the risks. Personally, I would choose the natural health route.
I would avoid the procedure and just do a cleanse of the GI tracts and the eliminative organs to make sure they all work the way they are supposed to (and aren't clogged the way they are when someone has cancer or tumors or cysts).

Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
OP - glad you posted this, I had visions of being up all night needing the bathroom (I already have chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia so don't sleep well anyway. I'm of a mixed opinion, I put it off twice, first doc. I went to I didn't really like but I've been having issues and he wanted to do an endoscopy only (although I'd suggested both at once to get it over with as I don't go to drs. much) - after waking in a large room (hospital) with lots of people (and a little bit of curtaining, but not much/enough) - the nurse asked why I hadn't done both (as they did in the prep area) - NO private room, no privacy. Second time I went to another gastroenterolgist and she is in private practice, she wanted/wants to do a colonoscopy but it's done in her office and I might be a little leery of that as well...

Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
FYI the spelling is polyp.

Also having this procedure done is NOT a no risk venture. Your GI tract could be harmed. Make SURE you are well aware of the risks. Personally, I would choose the natural health route.
I would avoid the procedure and just do a cleanse of the GI tracts and the eliminative organs to make sure they all work the way they are supposed to (and aren't clogged the way they are when someone has cancer or tumors or cysts).

I fail to see how choosing a natural health route will prevent polyps;which can be benign or CANCEROUS. I wouldn't advise someone to skip this relatively easy and safe procedure.

I had 8 polyps. 3 benign and 5 pre-cancer. Who knows what would have happened or how long until it happened had the polyps not been removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness