Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times

Advertisements

My doctor told me that the colonoscopy age recommendation for African Americans is 45. The former recommendation was 50. I was talking to a co-worker, who convinced her boyfriend to go to the doctor. According to her, his doc. doesn't recommend the procedure until age 50! Also, despite being 40+ years of age, he did not receive a digital rectal exam (DRE)!!!!

Does anyone have any insight into why one physician performs DRE and another does not? Is the recommendation for a colonoscopy 45 or 50 for African Americans? Is the DRE necessary? What about the prostate specific antigen (PSA)? I've had two, both negative! Research tells me that the test is not very specific.

I'm 41, a vegetarian, and as near as I can tell, no colon or prostate cancer in my family. I DO NOT smoke or drink. I weigh 220 pounds and I am 5' 10- 11. Yes, I could exercise more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
the age seems to vary from doctor to doctor. Our daughter and son in law had their first ones at about 45 but they are pretty hyper when it comes to preventive medicine. Our older daughter and her hubby, 50. BTW, we are not African American, we are white. So I don't know if there is a difference. It seems to me, you should be just fine for several more years, but ask your doctor. This is also the same when deciding when to stop having them. I have heard a few doctors say 70, others 75 and still others to have them every 5 to 10 years for life. I will say, we are both 76 and I doubt either of us will have another one unless there appears to be a concern.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Our doctor said depending on family medical history that she recommends doing them between 40 and 45 every 5 years. If there are no signs of problems by the time you're 72 she said she does not do them after that age.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Not sure of the age recommendation for general colonoscopy, but if you have IBS a colonoscopy is recommended 10 years after diagnosis of IBS.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
My doctor told me that the colonoscopy age recommendation for African Americans is 45. The former recommendation was 50. I was talking to a co-worker, who convinced her boyfriend to go to the doctor. According to her, his doc. doesn't recommend the procedure until age 50! Also, despite being 40+ years of age, he did not receive a digital rectal exam (DRE)!!!!

Does anyone have any insight into why one physician performs DRE and another does not? Is the recommendation for a colonoscopy 45 or 50 for African Americans? Is the DRE necessary? What about the prostate specific antigen (PSA)? I've had two, both negative! Research tells me that the test is not very specific.

I'm 41, a vegetarian, and as near as I can tell, no colon or prostate cancer in my family. I DO NOT smoke or drink. I weigh 220 pounds and I am 5' 10- 11. Yes, I could exercise more.
As I understand it, for most people a colonoscopy screening should begin at age 50. For African Americans, age 45. The reason being they are at a higher risk. Also, anyone with a family history or problems should begin earlier.

PSA test and DRE should begin at age 50. For African Americans, age 45. Tests should be done yearly. Anyone with a family history or problems should begin earlier.

If a PSA test rises significantly, your doctor may wish to investigate further. If the doctor feels a lump on your prostate, he will wish to investigate further. These tests are first indicators that someone may have cancer. A biopsy would be required to confirm cancer.

My husband had prostate cancer. His PSA increased slightly one year. The doctor did a DRE but did not feel anything. He was sent to a urologist, who was able to feel a lump. A biopsy was done and prostate cancer diagnosed.

Prostate cancer and colon cancer can hit anyone, no matter how healthy you eat and no matter how much you exercise. During treatment, we met many vegetarians, doctors, and young men, etc. who were patients. No one is immune.

At age 41, I'm not sure your health insurance would pay for these tests unless you had a family history. Perhaps your co-worker had not yet reached the required age for his health insurance to pay.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post

http://cancer.gov/cancertopics/dispa...-cancer-aa.pdf
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/d...-cancer-AA.pdf

From the two links, the recommendation for African Americans is to start at age 50 unless there is a risk factor to do it sooner, such as a family history of colorectal cancer or colon polyps.

However,

Practice Guidelines: ACG Guidelines for Colorectal Cancer Screening - September 15, 2009 - American Family Physician

The specialty organization for gastroenterologists suggests starting at age 45.

"Age to Begin Screening in Persons at Average Risk
The ACG recommends that colorectal cancer screening begin at 50 years of age in men and women at average risk (i.e., those without a family history of colorectal neoplasia). However, screening should begin at 45 years of age in black men and women. Evidence supports screening for colorectal cancer before 50 years of age in persons with an extreme smoking history or obesity, although a formal recommendation has not been issued."

PSA screening is controversial. That is something you will have to hash out with your personal doctor. This points out the conflicting advice from different groups:

Prostate cancer screening: Should you get a PSA test? - MayoClinic.com

"Mayo Clinic recommends offering PSA screening and DRE annually to men ages 50 to 75 with a life expectancy greater than 10 years, to African-American men ages 45 to 75 with a life expectancy greater than 10 years, and to men ages 45 to 75 years with a positive family history of prostate cancer and a life expectancy greater than 10 years."

Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
In addition to the information provided in this thread, isn't colonoscopy recommended 10 years after a IBS diagnosis?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:44 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
My doctor recommends 50 and if they find no polyps then not another one for ten years. If they do find and get rid of polyps then it's back in five.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
My doctor recommends 50 and if they find no polyps then not another one for ten years. If they do find and get rid of polyps then it's back in five.
that seems to be standard. When to stop also seems to depend on the doctor. As I mentioned, some doctors want a repeat every 5 to 10 years for life, others only until age 70 or 75. Our primary care doctor says forever, but the surgeon she recommended suggested none after 75. Who knows, I think the best any of us can do is depend on what our doctors say.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:32 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,968 times
For African Americans with no family history of colon cancer or polyps, we recommend starting at 45. They used to say 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness