Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 PM

111 posts, read 208,723 times

Advertisements

Someone on this forum indicated there is a section specifically for Individual Health Insurance, and much info, however, I am unable to find it? Any help?

I am 55 yrs young, employer does NOT provide Health Insurance like my prior employer, and I am at a loss, and {{{stressing}}} out thinking about it. I have never been without health insurance.

I checked out BC/BS and was given a premium of around $250 per month with a $5,000 deductible! How on earth are we supposed to survive on earth, as single females! For years, after my divorce, everyone kept telling me, you are so attractive, young, active, why don't you get married." I guess I should have listened.

I'm ready to grab the first decent looking guy I see that's single, and ask if he wants to pool our resources and live together.

So I guess I have a plan. . . A man with a good health plan! This is going to be one of my prerequisites if I decide to date again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 PM

43 posts, read 70,854 times
Check out these recent threads:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...dicae-age.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...-age-65-a.html

Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose3408 View Post
Someone on this forum indicated there is a section specifically for Individual Health Insurance, and much info, however, I am unable to find it? Any help?

I am 55 yrs young, employer does NOT provide Health Insurance like my prior employer, and I am at a loss, and {{{stressing}}} out thinking about it. I have never been without health insurance.

I checked out BC/BS and was given a premium of around $250 per month with a $5,000 deductible! How on earth are we supposed to survive on earth, as single females! For years, after my divorce, everyone kept telling me, you are so attractive, young, active, why don't you get married." I guess I should have listened. ....................
The high deductible plan will qualify you to open an HSA and put up to $3,550.00 this year tax free. I don't think that is a bad rate quote. It is in line with what I pay for similar coverage in a younger bracket, adjusted for age. You should still get a free OB/Gyn visit and free mammogram each year even with the high deductible, at least, I do.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:59 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
I'm ready to grab the first decent looking guy I see that's single, and ask if he wants to pool our resources and live together.

So I guess I have a plan. . . A man with a good health plan! This is going to be one of my prerequisites if I decide to date again.
I've thought about this and have told my wife if something were to happen to her I'd be on the prowl to get remarried, to someone my age, inside of six months. Maybe not remarried, that would depend on the impact it would have on her social security benefits, but living in a great deal of sin would be just fine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The high deductible plan will qualify you to open an HSA and put up to $3,550.00 this year tax free. I don't think that is a bad rate quote. It is in line with what I pay for similar coverage in a younger bracket, adjusted for age. You should still get a free OB/Gyn visit and free mammogram each year even with the high deductible, at least, I do.
HSA's are great if rose3408 had an income of $90k but if she was I doubt she would be complaining of the deductible. What if she has an income of say $22K to $28k which would be typical of flyover areas? At $25k she's hardly paying taxes as it is so it isn't as if a HSA will be that great.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:06 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:

That's my plan, seriously. You don't have to be married, just "partnered" (in most states anyway). I already have a prospect in mind!

(forget looks, it's all about compatibility... and who can easily do yard work)

Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
I assume you looked here...

Health Insurance - Find Affordable Health Insurance Plans and Buy Medical Coverage Online

It is commonly used as a starting point.

Rates will vary by state but the quote you have is not out of line. We found ours went up substantialy at age 60 so that quote does not look bad to me.

Getting married and other dramatic lifestyle changes might be a path to health care (as well as estate planning, etc) but could work... or you could go to work for the government.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
That's my plan, seriously. You don't have to be married, just "partnered" (in most states anyway). I already have a prospect in mind!

(forget looks, it's all about compatibility... and who can easily do yard work)
How are you about fixing things around the house? Cooking skills? Windows? Would my leaving dirty dishes in the sink upset you?

But I am happily married so it isn't me but it would be a way and I for one would not be alone for very long. Some might ask "How could you get married three months after you lost your wife?" and my answer is marriage for me has been a great experience and I could not imagine it otherwise.

If my SS was $2,500 it would be tight living alone but find someone who was getting say $1,500 and a couple could live reasonably well on that. In some parts of the country even very well. We could live on mine and use hers for cruises and trips.

My wife through her state pension is now providing our health insurance. $1,500 deductible, $2,500 max out of pocket, $15 doctor co-pays and $10 drugs ($5 if generic) which costs us $715/month for both. As we are both between 61 and 63 this is the best deal one could ask for.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:33 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Quote:

I checked out BC/BS and was given a premium of around $250 per month with a $5,000 deductible! How on earth are we supposed to survive on earth, as single females! For years, after my divorce, everyone kept telling me, you are so attractive, young, active, why don't you get married." I guess I should have listened.

That is actually a pretty good monthly premium - at least in terms of health insurance costs where I live. I am 63 with a $10k deductible and am paying $550/month. What are the co-pays (you have to watch out for those)?

Do you have an IRA? Or any savings? The odds are you will not spend $5k in medical expenses a year. And - if you do - it will be because you need surgery or the like. In which case you'll blow through the deductible. If you have money in an IRA - you can withdraw it free of penalty before age 59 1/2 to pay medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of AGI.

Also - with anything other than emergency care - try to bunch medical expenses in a given year. Like last year I had skin cancer and GYN surgery. Neither an emergency (although I wouldn't have put off either for 3 years either). But I bunched them in the same year to get the most out of my insurance buck/deductible.

And you cannot be serious about picking a guy on the basis of his insurance plan. If so - I would have divorced my husband when he was diagnosed with MS. I want the guy who makes me laugh - who rubs my back - and does equally nice things with other parts of my anatomy . Having decent insurance is a moving target. But a good man is forever and forever (I'm a little sentimental this year - we'll be celebrating our 40th anniversary).

And - just curious - under what circumstances did you leave your old job with health insurance? Robyn

Old 04-07-2011, 01:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
...- just curious - under what circumstances did you leave your old job with health insurance? Robyn
the "most powerful woman in American business" took my 800 hrs of sick leave, pension, and health care to Monte Carlo and Doubled-Down!!

Guess she must have come back a bit short, as I got the 'Adios option' 6 wks prior to retirement eligibility. But I only had 32 yrs of service, so plenty of time to 'recover'.... not. I outlived her tenure by a few months, but she had set the steam roller in motion. Only about 300,000 highly skilled $100k/yr jobs down the tube, along with over 50% of the valuation of a 60 yr old company that used to lend the US Gov money to meet payroll during such things as 'Budget Crisis'

I will be heading overseas if I need anything more than an aspirin.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:52 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
And you cannot be serious about picking a guy on the basis of his insurance plan. If so - I would have divorced my husband when he was diagnosed with MS. I want the guy who makes me laugh - who rubs my back - and does equally nice things with other parts of my anatomy . Having decent insurance is a moving target. But a good man is forever and forever (I'm a little sentimental this year - we'll be celebrating our 40th anniversary) Robyn
You got it right! After being married to the best, I'd rather be alone and pay a high premium than consider the insurance plan a high priority in a marriage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance