Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:32 AM

111 posts, read 208,660 times

Advertisements

I loss of my last job was not by choice -- position was elimated; like many.

For the record, I was just trying to funny about, "looking for man with a good health plan. I would NEVER base a relationship on $$$ or health insurance!

That is why I am still single, and not dating, because I am looking for the great qualities which I find appealing, i.e., honesty, integrity, enjoys being active and walking, biking, and most importantly trustworthy, and makes me laugh -- bringing a smile to face everyday and not sweating the small stuff. Life's too short.

The other poster was correct, by no means am I in the $40k - 80k income bracket, so taking an HSA policy, with a high deductible, sound appealing, however, you have to continually have a good amount of funds in the HSA account to cover your deductible should something happen.

Unfortunately, I have very little in my IRA account. The divorce changed everything (50/50 cut) and with the market crash the last 2 yrs years, I'm only down to around $25 in my IRA. Can't go far on that!

I do have some good equity built up in my home, and I really don't need a 3-bedroom, 1,500 sq ft house. As much as I love my adorable home, I could sell, take the equity an get an apartment, although I know I would hate apartment living since I love working in my yard.

I live in Wisconsin and hate, hate, hate the cold, so I am really hoping and dreaming to find that great place to move with a warm climate and palm trees and get settled in an adorable place. I thought I could then invest my monies from the sale of my home and make that a priority for the next 10 years and save, save, save.

I just wish I could find that space place. I didn't care for AZ as it was just too dry and dessert-y for me, Even Scottsdale has become so over populated and insane with traffic.

Anyone know of a great place to live with a beautiful, warm climate and small town feel. I'm not into the big-city life. I do love markets, and organic though, and in particular Trader Joe's!

Any suggestions?

Many {{{hugs}}} for all your great input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:38 AM

237 posts, read 496,753 times
I also buy individual insurance. I have BC/BS as it was the best price I got. I have a $5000 deductible and my monthly premiums are higher than yours. Health insurance is ridiculously expensive and unfortunately it is going to get worst. My premium constantly goes up. An annual physical is included. Also BC/BS knocks the list price the doctors and labs charge down considerable. I cannot imagine how people with out insurance pay full price. You can also go to some of the local clinics like urgent care who charge less for basic medical needs. I am for medical reform that focus on getting cost down, because it will be pretty soon nobody can afford insurance.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:13 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Rose - You might take a look here in north Florida. Our cost of living is relatively low. Unfortunately our job market is terrible - and our health insurance prices are high. Robyn

Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 PM

111 posts, read 208,660 times
Default To: Robyn55

I would LOVE to move to Florida! Especially since I hate the cold here in Wisconsin; just hate it! Whereabouts in FL do you in live?

Every since my very early 20's and us "girls" made about 3 trips to Ft. Flauderdale, Daytona Beach, and Orlando, I absolutely fell in love with the warm climate and palm trees.

With both my sons now totally independent and on their own, I could actually make the move. And I so desperately want to move some place warm. Florida is on top of my list. I visited AZ several times, however, I just didn't care for the dry, desserty look; no greenery, water, etc.

My oldest son lives in CA but I know realistically, I can't afford to live there. I thought about SC as well.

Any great place to live in Florida? I like the more small-city feell, which is why I'm sure I didn't like AZ. Phoenix and even Scottsdale was insane with traffic. Another problem I see in Florida is my love for organics, and I know you think this is going to sound ridiculous, but I love "Trader Joe's," for all my organic grocery shopping and they're aren't any in Florida!

I would appreciate any great FL suggestions!

Old 04-08-2011, 01:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose3408 View Post
I loss of my last job was not by choice -- position was elimated; like many.
Anyone know of a great place to live with a beautiful, warm climate and small town feel. I'm not into the big-city life. I do love markets, and organic though, and in particular Trader Joe's!

Any suggestions?

HSA is on the way out as an option with ObamaCare (as it stands)... subject to SIGNIFICANT change (I hope, I hope)

There will be NO low(er) cost options with nationalized care (unless it is outsourced to any one of a number of countries that does healthcare more correct and CERTAINLY more affordable).

DO still consider marrying / partnering for benefits, it works great for millions. You can find Mr or Mrs Wright that EVEN comes with healthcare and pension (double perk)

I would try several places on for size, as MOST places have a more desirable climate than WI. I cannot stand FL for many reasons (Sarasota is almost tolerable), but TN and NC have some redeeming qualities I could MAYBE live with. (I don't typically go east of Missouri River between June and Oct, as I like cool (50F) NIGHT sleeping during the summer. As weird and expensive as CA is, it has MANY nice and pretty affordable places. (And it is EZ and cheap to escape from CA to far and near destinations of choice). Chico is a nice spot in Northern CA. Davis is more to your tastes but more expensive too. Plenty of places south. (San Luis Obispo would be a place I would look to, but too far from an international airport for my tastes and travels. San Diego region is pretty decent (San Ramon is cheaper)

I enjoy parts of Colorado as a 'Banana Belt' and sunny winters make it quite digestible. (It can also be 60 and even 70 F on occasion in winter months) It is quite parched and brown much of summer and winter.

If you are concerned about future water availability AND can stand the rain (drizzle)... for 'green', look to western WA (Olympia & Bellingham) and OR (Eugene & Portland)

Old 04-13-2011, 11:59 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose3408 View Post
I would LOVE to move to Florida! Especially since I hate the cold here in Wisconsin; just hate it! Whereabouts in FL do you in live?

Every since my very early 20's and us "girls" made about 3 trips to Ft. Flauderdale, Daytona Beach, and Orlando, I absolutely fell in love with the warm climate and palm trees.

With both my sons now totally independent and on their own, I could actually make the move. And I so desperately want to move some place warm. Florida is on top of my list. I visited AZ several times, however, I just didn't care for the dry, desserty look; no greenery, water, etc.

My oldest son lives in CA but I know realistically, I can't afford to live there. I thought about SC as well.

Any great place to live in Florida? I like the more small-city feell, which is why I'm sure I didn't like AZ. Phoenix and even Scottsdale was insane with traffic. Another problem I see in Florida is my love for organics, and I know you think this is going to sound ridiculous, but I love "Trader Joe's," for all my organic grocery shopping and they're aren't any in Florida!

I would appreciate any great FL suggestions!
I live in St. Johns County - about halfway between Jacksonville Beach and St. Augustine. Florida is a *very* big state with several different climates. Varying demographics. From urban to extremely rural. I would suggest taking a couple of trips to different parts of the state - see what appeals to you. Travel in low season (not only is it a lot cheaper - but you'll get to see how bad the weather gets in low season). Note that we have "winter" up here in north Florida (it is usually much cooler than south Florida - probably pretty much like fall in Wisconsin). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance