Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:25 AM

365 posts, read 1,255,116 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here who lives in NY State have an individual health insurance plan? If so, what kind, and where did you get it? They must be available, but I can't seem to find one.

Here's my problem: After years of research, discussion, travel and planning, DH and I are planning to (semi-) retire next summer and move to the Finger Lakes region. We found out just two days ago that our health insurance, which DH buys thru the union at work, will cancel our policy when DH leaves the company: He has to be a full-time employee, not just a union member, to buy insurance.

DH is 62 and could get SS this year, but not Medicare until he's 65. I am 57 and self-employed. DH will work, but at his age, it's doubtful he'd find a full-time job with benefits since age discrimination is just rife everywhere. And I've learned that the organizations I belong to that offer health insurance--my professional assn, my union, even AARP--do not offer private health insurance for their NY members, not even a discount plan, let alone major medical, hospitalization, or catastrophic. Most of the insurance I can find in NY state for private individuals is for HMO's, which doesn't thrill me, but I guess it's better than nothing.

We could put off our plans for another year or so, then go on Cobra (if we can afford it) until DH can get Medicare. But it would still be another six years or so before I qualified.

What do self-employed people do in NY State for health insurance?

(cross-posted in NY section)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 AM

8,653 posts, read 9,168,070 times
I really have no answer for you. This health ins. business is pathetic. I'm 51 and my wife is ill and she can never be covered by individual insurance, ever, only group health plans through me and employment. Cobra is very expensive and I would not partake in an HMO ever again (another bad experience). If you two have a pre-existing condition be very careful. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 AM

This health care situation in the US _is_ pathetic, jmking. Just got some links from another City Data reader but one would have us paying almost $2600/month in premiums, and we make too much money for the other one. Interesting that the income cut-off for the latter is only slightly more than the premium for the former.

I'm sorry about your wife and your situation. I truly am. Let's hope that whoever is elected in Nov. will smack Congress over the head and make some real changes in this system. If not, I propose we all march on Washington and sit in the doorways of Congress and the White House until something is done.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolL View Post
This health care situation in the US _is_ pathetic, jmking. Just got some links from another City Data reader but one would have us paying almost $2600/month in premiums, and we make too much money for the other one. Interesting that the income cut-off for the latter is only slightly more than the premium for the former.

I'm sorry about your wife and your situation. I truly am. Let's hope that whoever is elected in Nov. will smack Congress over the head and make some real changes in this system. If not, I propose we all march on Washington and sit in the doorways of Congress and the White House until something is done.
I've lived in and around Washington my whole life and instead of seeing students, and nut jobs protesting in DC it needs to be the ordinary folk in the hundreds of thousands marching in DC instead! That would get Congresses attention real quick. My wife and I have been together for 28 years and 26 of those years I paid less than $100 a month, now I pay at least $10,000 a year not counting deductibles. Having said that it is the deductibles that can make a difference in your premium. Have you considered upping your deductible to reduce your premium?
Another point, you may have to pick up COBRA for a limited time in order to bridge gaps in your Insurance. Do not have gaps in your insurance coverage because that can cause a host of issues, especially pre-existing conditions. Create a gap and you can lose coverage for at least a year for your health conditions!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I've lived in and around Washington my whole life and instead of seeing students, and nut jobs protesting in DC it needs to be the ordinary folk in the hundreds of thousands marching in DC instead! That would get Congresses attention real quick. My wife and I have been together for 28 years and 26 of those years I paid less than $100 a month, now I pay at least $10,000 a year not counting deductibles. Having said that it is the deductibles that can make a difference in your premium. Have you considered upping your deductible to reduce your premium?
Another point, you may have to pick up COBRA for a limited time in order to bridge gaps in your Insurance. Do not have gaps in your insurance coverage because that can cause a host of issues, especially pre-existing conditions. Create a gap and you can lose coverage for at least a year for your health conditions!
Thank you for the reminders about deductibles and gaps. I'd forgotten about the gaps, and you are so right about that. As for the deductible, we can't change it on our current policy; there's one policy for everybody, and take it or leave it.

And, you're right: It has to be "the ordinary folk" who march before anyone (ie Congress, leaders, the insurance industry) will pay attention. I would love to get a million people rallying in the streets, calling for changes in the so-called health care system.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:49 PM

Well, it is getting to that point especially all the baby boomers getting the shaft big time. Sometimes I feel the insurance companies are treating us like old used cars!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:33 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,499,935 times
Sadly, in upstate NY about the only individual health insurance can only be purchased through Excellus Blue Cross. It is extremely expensive and seems to be about the only game in town.

If I were you, I would try to stay on COBRA as long as I could. COBRA is going to be a lot cheaper than any individual health plan in NY.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:46 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,608,547 times
CarolL, we live in NY state also, and have been "self insuring" (the euphemism for not having any health insurance) for several years. My SO had his own business which he had to give up in 2005 after being in a serious car accident (rear-ended by another car; their insurance company settled out of court for his medical bills) and I've been early-retired for years. We are basically crossing our fingers until we both reach Medicare eligibility age! Ironically we were both born in the same year (five months apart) so we'll both get it at the same time...

I believe United Healthcare offers individual policies, or at least they did a few years ago, but the premiums were so ridiculous ($1500+ per month) that we decided we'd rather have that almost 20K/yr earning interest for us in a bank account than handing it over to some big greedy corporation.

It is sad that in NY you can't have a Health Savings Account unless you already have coverage from an employer; also sad that you can't get a high-deductible individual policy either. We would gladly take a policy with a 10K or 20K or even 30K deductible just to have 'catastrophic' coverage but NOBODY offers that in New York. So we're hoping our luck holds out a few more years until Medicare kicks in.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:26 PM

New York really sounds tough with health insurance. You'd think since Hillary Clinton is a Senator in NY, and all gung-ho for straightening out this mess she would have done something about it in NY or made a big fuss at least! Or did she?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:27 PM

I have to say I am very surprised that NY state is so unkind to its self-employed population as far as health insurance is concerned. I'm pretty amazed that Sen. Clinton hasn't pressured the state legislature to ease up.

I did learn yesterday that we could go on Cobra for 18 mos before DH turns 65. Then, because he would then qualify for Medicare leaving me without a plan, I can remain on Cobra for three more years. That leaves two years when I'd have to scramble for insurance. (As DH says, maybe the Dems will be elected, and we'll have some alternatives by that time.)

Meanwhile, I'm still looking. Thx for all your links; I'll be checking them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance