Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM

52 posts, read 216,478 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the contributions to this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 PM

19 posts, read 43,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Midtown is just fine from Front to 3rd, Kelker to Forster. I would highly recommend living in this area. Lots of young professionals and young families. I have a friend who lives on Kelker, which is the border between Midtown and Old Uptown. I'll explain Old Uptown later. The best housing in Midtown is from Reilly to Kelker, Front to 3rd. These homes are breathtaking -- but a bit more pricey. You can find rentals here though. I know of a three-bedroom rental on Reilly going for $850, a block away from several restaurants and the Midtown Cinema. The housing from Forster to Reilly (southern part of Midtown) is a bit older, and more colonial style. Some of them are smaller, but there's a few big beauties in there too. There are rentals available here too, but I've seen mostly apartments.

Uptown itself is north of Maclay all the way to I-81. Stay away from Maclay street (about 3-4 blocks north of there it gets nice and safe) and 6th street.

The governor's mansion area is known as "Old Uptown"....it's an up-and-coming area between Kelker and Maclay. There are a TON of rehabs going on and the houses are selling pretty quick. The 1900-2000 blocks of Penn and Green street and the nearby streets are undergoing a dramatic revitilizatin. Almost every other house is getting a rehab. But, it's close to Maclay which is a major drug area. In a few years this neighborhood will be quite nice (huge, beautiful homes!) but for right now it's still a little bit on the unsafe side. If you don't mind being a gentrifyer on the edge, then you're fine. I should note however, that I know two people who live in Old Uptown and neither of them has ever had a problem. It's more of a place where if you keep to yourself you will be fine, there's not really any danger walking around (I've even done it at night - but most people would not).

An area you may want to consider is New/Old Fox Ridge. It's technically part of Midtown. It runs from 3rd-6th between Forster and the Broad Street Market. Some pretty quaint colonial style homes. Really close to the Capitol Complex, and it's a completely safe area (as long as you stay below the Broad Street Market.

Also, take a look at Shipoke. It's the oldest neighborhood in Harrisburg right at the southwestern tip along the Susquehanna River. Totally safe area and really close to I-83. Just follow Front Street all the way down and get off at Race street and you are there. Any more questions about the 'burg just ask.
Sorry to bump this old thread. But, I imagine not much has changed all that much in two years. I'm checking out an apartment tomorrow on the corner of Kelker and Green. Based on the above post, the desirability of this location seems ambiguous. I mean, I'd like to be able to walk around at night and feel safe, I don't think that expectation is too high. Would I be a "gentrifier on the edge" at this location. lol.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 AM

253 posts, read 809,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeo View Post
Sorry to bump this old thread. But, I imagine not much has changed all that much in two years. I'm checking out an apartment tomorrow on the corner of Kelker and Green. Based on the above post, the desirability of this location seems ambiguous. I mean, I'd like to be able to walk around at night and feel safe, I don't think that expectation is too high. Would I be a "gentrifier on the edge" at this location. lol.
I used to live in Harrisburg and since moving out, visit the area every year or so due to family.

Let's take Paxton Street as an example. It has deteriorated so much over the years. The turnover of businesses are excessive and late night it become a ghost town.

Kelker & Green is further towards downtown and during the day is pretty active & lively. Towards the night, I would be wearing to be walking alone (I'm talking about late night hours.....not when the bars are still open).

Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,227 times
I think regardless of what area you are moving to, there's going to be concern about neighborhoods, safety, etc. It seems to vary based on the level of business activity in the area - the more vacant an area is, the less appealing it is. If you look hard enough and do your research, I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.

Jack Treier

http://jacktreier.com/lancaster-pa-movers.asp - Lancaster, Pa Movers
http://jacktreier.com/harrisburg-pa-movers.asp - Harrisburg PA Movers

Old 02-14-2014, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,241 times
Hello, I too is looking to move to Harrisburg area for work. Married & have a 4 year old. We both will be transferring for work. My office is in Harrisburg & my husband's is in Carlisle. We own now & looking to rent until knowing the areas well. Any thoughts on Lower Allen and Dillsburg in comparison to Camp hill &Mechanicsburg. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:58 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,811,683 times
Depending on the work locations (both "Carlisle" and "Harrisburg" postal addresses cover wide areas) Dillsburg or Lower Allen could be either slightly or significantly worse commute wise than Camp Hill or Mechanicsburg (depending on what is meant by "Mechanicsburg" as that covers a wide area address wise as well) to one or the other location. The standard "good school" suburbs are Camp Hill Borough (a part of the Camp Hill postal address area) and Cumberland Valley (usually Mechanicsburg address but can be Camp Hill or even Boiling Springs or Carlisle postal addresses). Of course you have a year or two to rent with a 4 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area