Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 45,978 times

Advertisements

I've recently received an offer to work in Harrisburg, PA. Since we're from NYC, My wife and i are considering to live in downtown Harrisburg because we like to have things close by. Can somebody suggest which part of downtown Harrisburg is nice and safe to live in? Much appreciate it....Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaviandi View Post
I've recently received an offer to work in Harrisburg, PA. Since we're from NYC, My wife and i are considering to live in downtown Harrisburg because we like to have things close by. Can somebody suggest which part of downtown Harrisburg is nice and safe to live in? Much appreciate it....Thanks
I go to school in downtown Harrisburg. It's not very large geographically and pretty much entirely safe. The only thing that sucks is other then the restaurants on 2nd street and a Starbucks, everything closes down by 6PM. Just east of downtown is Allison Hill, which is a high-crime area though the parts closest to downtown are gentrifying. Midtown Harrisburg is just north of downtown and seems to be where a lot of the newcomers from larger cities are moving to. A NJ couple just moved here and opened up a new upscale deli/bistro that is absolutely amazing. There's also a few art galleries and an independent cinema. While there are some stunning colonial and 19th century rowhomes, there are a few new housing developments that are tax-free you may be interested in.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the reply danwxman...By the way, where does midtown harrisburg starts from and where does it end? And how about Steelton, Is it safe there? I just want to make sure that we pick the right area to live in. Thanks much

Old 10-17-2007, 07:05 PM

One more thing i forgot to ask. How much do you think is a standard living cost in Harrisburg (downtown and midtown). What are the standard pricing range for apartments in those are?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply danwxman...By the way, where does midtown harrisburg starts from and where does it end? And how about Steelton, Is it safe there? I just want to make sure that we pick the right area to live in. Thanks much
Midtown is from Forster to Maclay, Front to 6th. The best parts are near the river between Front and 3rd. Uptown is north of Maclay. Some lovely homes near Italian Lake Park there, but a few rough sections nearby.

Steelton is pretty rough, but even cheaper then Harrisburg. I don't know much about the neighborhoods of Steelton, but the borough has seen better days. Things have begun to turn around, however, with streetscape improvements and more downtown shopping and buildings planned...but it still has a way to go. There are a lot of immigrants in Steelton though, which gives it a unique vibe.

You may want to travel to the area and spend a day or two exploring the areas mentioned.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
One more thing i forgot to ask. How much do you think is a standard living cost in Harrisburg (downtown and midtown). What are the standard pricing range for apartments in those are?
COL is much, much less then NY.

Here's a pretty good apartment in a great area I just found on Craigslist:
2 Bedroom Downtown Apt. w/ Great Views of the Capital! (broken link) (this is in downtown)

Here's something in midtown: 1800 square foot apartment in midtown (broken link)
And along the riverfront: Furnished River Front Apartment, Victorian Charm, Parking (broken link)
A great deal in upper midtown but close to a rough area: Beautiful and Spacious 5 bedroom in popular Olde Uptown (broken link)
Here's a more expensive 3-bedroom in Shipoke, just south of downtown: Riverfront Harrisburg Historic House for Rent (broken link)
Very close to the downtown restaurant/nightlife scene: Beautiful Apartment in the heart of Downtown (broken link)

For a small city, housing prices vary quite wildly. One bedrooms are generally $400-600, two bedroom usually $500-900.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:12 AM

Hi..again Thanks soo much for your input. Could you give me your opinion about these apartments below. Let me know how the area is:

Remodeled Second Floor Apartment (broken link)

1 Bedroom apartment (broken link)

Enjoy Midtown Harrisburg (broken link)

Thanks....

Old 10-18-2007, 07:52 AM

First one is a decent area, just a couple blocks north of the Midtown Cinema, a deli, pizza shop, vietnamese restaurant and a new 4-story building with ground floor retail under construction. There is a housing project nearby, but it's mostly filled with older folks.

Second one (Maclay and 4th) is borderline to rough areas, property crimes/drug trafficking may be an issue there. The good news is just a couple blocks down 4th street there is a pretty large new housing development that seems to be attracting young professionals, and there are a lot of rehabs going on in the immediate neighborhood. It's close to the Fire Museum, Da Pitts Chicago Grill (good restaurant) and a Rite Aid.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:24 AM

Hi danwaxman,

Can you give me your thoughts about these apartments neighborhood?

beautiful 1 BR on Riverfront Historic downtown HBG (broken link)
Apartment near Capitol (broken link)

Really appreciate your input, Thanks.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:49 PM

They are both very good locations, but the second one you may have more a crime problem then the first. The first one is beautiful, you are literally right across the street from Riverfront park (walking/jogging/biking/great river views).

The second one is in midtown, near the Broad Street Market. I'll have to drive by that corner tomorrow, because I know some of the corners in that area are somewhat shady with public housing nearby and drug activity. Overall though it's not bad and the best thing is you are so close to the Broad Street Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area