Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:27 PM

726 posts, read 1,231,896 times

Advertisements

I would not recommend the city area of Harrisburg to a family with children. The parks are small and few. A kid would be forced to indoor life.
For the DINK's* out there, I highly recommend it. (* double income, no kids).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 06:30 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,627,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
I would not recommend the city area of Harrisburg to a family with children. The parks are small and few. A kid would be forced to indoor life.
For the DINK's* out there, I highly recommend it. (* double income, no kids).
Umm....City Island? Riverfront Park? Wildwood Lake? Negleys Park?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:37 PM

726 posts, read 1,231,896 times
Wxman,

Still, a kid will be stuck inside unless the parents can take them to these places. I am not trying to be contrary.
It's a different world now then when I grew up in the "hill" section 40 years past.
I guess one must never let their child out of sight anymore. Sad that a kid has to be so dependent on their parents attentions & "time".
I would have hated that my parents must take me out to play at the age of ten.
Muse

Last edited by Foodmuse; 09-17-2007 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: missed a word in first sentance

Old 09-17-2007, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,158 times
Hi, just wondering what you found out about living in Harrisburg. My husband has taken a promotion in York and we were there this weekend to visit. York was nice but we really liked Harrisburg, it seemed so charming and full of character. We would even consider living downtown after we find out more about it (crime, etc). We have an 11 year old girl and a baby girl that is about to turn one. Private school is an option if necessary. We are just trying to find a nice place to live but not out in the middle of no where... Any Help?

Old 09-17-2007, 05:03 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,627,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcm View Post
Hi, just wondering what you found out about living in Harrisburg. My husband has taken a promotion in York and we were there this weekend to visit. York was nice but we really liked Harrisburg, it seemed so charming and full of character. We would even consider living downtown after we find out more about it (crime, etc). We have an 11 year old girl and a baby girl that is about to turn one. Private school is an option if necessary. We are just trying to find a nice place to live but not out in the middle of no where... Any Help?
Downtown is safe, but be aware that if you live close to 2nd street in downtown it becomes party central on Friday and Saturday nights. Another good neighborhood is Midtown (which does have some shady areas, but its the up-and-coming area of Harrisburg with young couple and families moving in and renovating homes), Shipoke, which is just south of downtown along the river, and Bellevue Heights which is in East Harrisburg.

Harrisburg is like a lot of east coast cities..you can be fine one block then the next is crap...You definitely need to do a bit more exploring to make sure that Harrisburg is right for you. And, private schooling would be a must. If you don't find what you like in Harrisburg, consider Camp Hill or Mechanicsburg borough.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:19 AM
PUB

25 posts, read 111,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcm View Post
We have an 11 year old girl and a baby girl that is about to turn one. Private school is an option if necessary.
You need to stop by Harrisburg Academy. No school in the area compares.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 PM

68 posts, read 211,411 times
I too will be relocating to Harrisburg area within next 6 months. We have lived in Western NC for the last 11 years....although there are 'good' schools here, and crime is relatively low, there is nothing to do. The communities here are very non accepting of 'outsiders'. We have 4 kids ages 14-4 years. Hubby and I both are in health care (I'm an RN and He will be graduating from a Radiology Tech program soon. I'm originally from NJ (although I haven't lived there since I was a teen). We are looking for

1. Good Schools (absolute priority) , additionally a school where band is important as two of our kids are in band. Schools where kids are not ostracized because they are 'outsiders'.
2. relatively short drive (under 30 min) to at least 3 major hospitals (for work)
3. Housing with big yards, prefer about 1/2 acre lots at least
4. Community amenities are a bonus

I'm reading a lot about Mechanicsburg, Hershey, Hummelstown, and Camp Hill
How's the High School Band's? How accepting are they to people that haven't had family roots there for generations?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:16 PM

96 posts, read 371,354 times
Hershey would probably have the most diverse climate from all of the transferees at the Medical Center. Not sure about their band, but they do have a good athletic program with excellent facilities. Housing prices are high in Hershey, but with the market stagnant right now, you could get a good deal.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 25,449 times
Default Harrisburg PA Neighborhoods

Ok. I've been reading up on Harrisburg extensively the last few weeks, as my fiance and I will be moving there in the next month and a half. From what I've gathered, it is a nice place to be if you are young professionals who don't have children. I am currently in Higher Ed. administration, and he will be attending law school in the fall. No kids for us, not until school is done.

We have two mid-sized dogs, looking for rentals, preferably not an apartment (especially not a complex) I had to look up what exactly a rowhouse was, because I'm from the midwest, and we don't really have those here. A rowhouse would be okay, we would love a little house.

I just want to summarize what I've gathered so far regarding the neighborhoods and housing, and if anyone can let me know if this sounds accurate, or provide any other info, that would be great:

Midtown is Maclay to Forster Street. It is a really cool, eclectic place, but also pretty urban. The best housing choices are closer to the river, but up until 6th is okay too?

Uptown - I have heard mixed reviews. What constitutes "uptown?" Maclay to what street?

Allison Hill - a place to avoid? From what I've gathered Allison Hill is south/east of Walnut Street and State Street?

As far as other places to rent are concerned, there is very little outside of those areas. Within the city, are there other places to be looking? Other things I've heard - near the governor's mansion -not safe? Where is that exactly?

Thanks so much for any help you can give! This is a great site!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 AM

11 posts, read 87,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Umm....City Island? Riverfront Park? Wildwood Lake? Negleys Park?
Yes go to Riverfront Park where there are signs that say " warning High Drug Traffic Area"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area