Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:00 PM

948 posts, read 3,357,210 times

Advertisements

I haven't' done it since I was a teen. I hate paying $220+ at the salon for color now. I'd rather spend that money on clothes!! My mom sent me an article on a company that will custom blend color for you and ship it directly to you. Wondering if anyone has tried this? I'm very tempted!!

Breakthrough Hair Color System Your Salon Doesn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,594 times
Just looked at the website- that's actually kind of cool! From looking at reviews online a lot of people have found it better than traditional boxed dyes. They mainly suggest that you stick to a few shades from your natural color and obviously you can't lighten your hair with these kits.

$200 is a LOT to pay for a trip to the salon! I'm curious, what were having done to your hair for this kind of money?

Old 06-02-2012, 04:44 AM

Default hair coloring is $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Just looked at the website- that's actually kind of cool! From looking at reviews online a lot of people have found it better than traditional boxed dyes. They mainly suggest that you stick to a few shades from your natural color and obviously you can't lighten your hair with these kits.

$200 is a LOT to pay for a trip to the salon! I'm curious, what were having done to your hair for this kind of money?
I get foils and base color. The labor for the foils is what does me in I think.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I haven't' done it since I was a teen. I hate paying $220+ at the salon for color now. I'd rather spend that money on clothes!! My mom sent me an article on a company that will custom blend color for you and ship it directly to you. Wondering if anyone has tried this? I'm very tempted!!

Breakthrough Hair Color System Your Salon Doesn
Wow, where do you live that you pay $220 to color your hair? Holy Cow. I get mine colored at a Salon here in CT for $100.00 which includes a cut, sometimes he only charges me $90 depending on how much color I actually need. You are paying way too much money to have your hair colored that is for sure. I hadn't heard much about the hair coloring at home other than what you can buy over the counter. Some of the over the counter stuff is ok I would think?? Find a new salon that doesn't charge $220.00 is what I say!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:23 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
you are paying at least 75 bucks too much. find another salon. do it yourself most of the time looks do it yourself and is messy. find a reasonably priced pro

Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
You're paying too much.

I pay $120 for foils AND a cut, and my hair is nearly waist length, thick, and takes my stylist almost an hour just to paint and wrap, so the labor is significant...but I tip her well. I realize prices vary based on location (truth be known, I find mine high for my area), but I still believe you are being overcharged.

And personally, I would never do any home hair color more complicated than a simple, single process all-over color...it's worth paying somebody who is trained and can see the back of your head and can fix mistakes.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
The biggest difference between the hair color people buy at the grocery store and the salon colors is the method of application. Any hair color that you apply with a bowl and brush will look better than it does when you use the squeeze bottle included in the grocery store kits. My mother is too cheap to buy anything but the $3 grocery store kits, I put the color on her head with the brush instead of the applicator bottle and it comes out looking great.

I think the custom-blended color idea is just an expensive gimmick. You can order color from amazon or go to Sally's and buy it, and then blend the colors if you want to...if you can't find something among the hundreds of shades that Sally's carries that suits you. Going a couple of shades different from your natural color is simple and you're not likely to mess it up. If you've been bleaching your hair, use a protein filler before you color or you will probably end up with a darker result than you want.

There are two things you shouldn't try at home...going from dark hair to pale blonde, and using a hair color remover. And if you want to do your own highlights, use a cap and get a friend to help you, if you're doing the whole head. Stay away from the highlight kits that have you put the bleach on with a mascara wand-like brush without moving the strand of hair away from the rest of the hair.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:54 PM

Default Lets give locations for our prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Wow, where do you live that you pay $220 to color your hair? Holy Cow. I get mine colored at a Salon here in CT for $100.00 which includes a cut, sometimes he only charges me $90 depending on how much color I actually need. You are paying way too much money to have your hair colored that is for sure. I hadn't heard much about the hair coloring at home other than what you can buy over the counter. Some of the over the counter stuff is ok I would think?? Find a new salon that doesn't charge $220.00 is what I say!
I'm in the D.C. area and actually I do go to a lower price salon

Old 06-02-2012, 03:11 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I get foils and base color. The labor for the foils is what does me in I think.

Yes, I agree with the others....you're paying a LOT more than you probably should be. I would research salons nearby to compare prices and try a new stylist before going with boxed color. If you can't find a lower priced salon, maybe check for special they advertise on their website? Or maybe travel an hour or so away? IDK

I have extremely thick shoulder length hair...I also get full highlights and base color, haircut, wash & style for $90 (takes a total of 3 hours to do so!)

Old 06-02-2012, 03:24 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
I don't know, I've colored my hair out of a box for decades. A couple of years ago I paid $100 to have it done in a salon because I wanted to see what a mix of shades would look like. I did like the result, but not enough to pay $90 more than a boxed color result. I think it's a personal budget call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care