Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:00 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,328 times

Advertisements

FYI this is just a ranty rant about home hair coloring products. Why oh why don't they make a package with enough in it to color long hair? My hair needs about 1.5 regular bottles of product to color it, which means that I always end up throwing out about a half a bottle, since it can't be saved. It's so wasteful it annoys me.

Rather than being forced to buy 2 packages and throw half of one of them away, why can't the hair color companies just make a package that's in between the size of one and two bottles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 02:13 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
My hair is down to my booty, and Feria seems to do the trick. It has a more generous amount of color that your average hair coloring product. I only ever use one package at a time.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
My hair is down to my booty, and Feria seems to do the trick. It has a more generous amount of color that your average hair coloring product. I only ever use one package at a time.
Really?!! I don't think I've ever seen that brand around here. If that's the case and I can find it, I love you forever... (in a sisterly sort of way! LOL)

Old 04-02-2009, 02:54 PM

253 posts, read 805,843 times
Default another thing to try

go to a sally's beauty supply(open to public) since they also supply the salons, they go it all, anyways, ive heard their haircolor amounts are more generous, so might check them out.
otherwise, a frugal trick, and this only works really if you touch up your roots often without coloring whole head, ive been told this, so think i will try it next time myself.
instead of mixen the stuff in the bottles, mix in a bowl, that way, you can save the half of mixture you normally toss for next time, still in its container, you can reused bottles or get new ones cheap, if you still want to apply it with a bottle, or use your fingers to scoop out and smear in hair, the use the part you didnt mix for your roots later.
I was told this after a lady saw me buyen root touch up for the first time, she said thats what she does, that way it matches up exact to color.
it made sense.
also, to stretch out the hair color, i mist my hair with spray bottle of water, some brands actually have you do this, then i use a small tooth comb and comb color into my hair, like hair dressers do with paint brush, ya get more even coat, especially if changen color completly differant, and i dont miss spots and tend to find i dont need to buy extra bottle.
best of luck, but i do hear ya, i should own stock in clariol by now...lol, or at least they could give more color in bottles, but i swear they have shortened the amount and still charge us the same, who knows.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlady71 View Post
go to a sally's beauty supply(open to public) since they also supply the salons, they go it all, anyways, ive heard their haircolor amounts are more generous, so might check them out.
otherwise, a frugal trick, and this only works really if you touch up your roots often without coloring whole head, ive been told this, so think i will try it next time myself.
instead of mixen the stuff in the bottles, mix in a bowl, that way, you can save the half of mixture you normally toss for next time, still in its container, you can reused bottles or get new ones cheap, if you still want to apply it with a bottle, or use your fingers to scoop out and smear in hair, the use the part you didnt mix for your roots later.
I was told this after a lady saw me buyen root touch up for the first time, she said thats what she does, that way it matches up exact to color.
it made sense.
also, to stretch out the hair color, i mist my hair with spray bottle of water, some brands actually have you do this, then i use a small tooth comb and comb color into my hair, like hair dressers do with paint brush, ya get more even coat, especially if changen color completly differant, and i dont miss spots and tend to find i dont need to buy extra bottle.
best of luck, but i do hear ya, i should own stock in clariol by now...lol, or at least they could give more color in bottles, but i swear they have shortened the amount and still charge us the same, who knows.
Well, I do the roots half the time and the whole head the other half -- since I'm using a reddish based color it fades pretty quickly and so my whole head needs redoing fairly often. But that's a good tip on the bowl, thanks!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:38 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
I agree about going to Sally Beauty. I buy the small bottles of color and then the large bottle of developer. I always mix my own each time - you can buy the bottle with the measurements on the side. If you need a bottle and a half, then that's all you mix. Not to mention, way, way cheaper than the boxed stuff at stores.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:56 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,683 times
I can't remember which of the Loreal products I use, but my hair is past the middle of my back, and I have alot of it, but I only use one bottle. I am coloring fairly close to the natural color of my hair, so that might make the difference.

I didn't know that the stuff at the beauty supply stores was cheaper than the boxed brands - - - Thanks for the info, I may have to check into that!

Old 04-02-2009, 05:27 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
You don't really need to continue to color the ends of your hair---put the product on the roots, and then, prior to rinsing, massage it throughout the hair! My hair goes waaaaay past the middle of my back (2 1/2 ft min. length) and 1 box is fine.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:59 PM

809 posts, read 3,570,516 times
Try this: Save one of the big plastic bottles after you color your hair and rinse it out and allow it to dry.
Then, when you need only .5 of a bottle, pour half the products into the empty bottle and mix it in there. You can save the other half, unmixed, for next time

I used to do this when I did root touch-ups and didn't want to waste a whole bottle.

Or, you can buy something like this http://www.sallybeauty.com/Haircolor...ml?cgid=Hair05 or this http://www.sallybeauty.com/Color-Tra...efault,pd.html to mix the product in

Old 04-03-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You don't really need to continue to color the ends of your hair---put the product on the roots, and then, prior to rinsing, massage it throughout the hair! My hair goes waaaaay past the middle of my back (2 1/2 ft min. length) and 1 box is fine.
Yeah I do, because I'm coloring red, which has a propensity to fade, especially if I am out in the sun. If I only color the roots, I end up with red roots and the rest of it blonde.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care