Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:40 PM

689 posts, read 2,585,198 times

Advertisements

I'm in my mid 40's with a full head of hair that has been going gray for several years. Recently the amount of gray hair has really started to increase rapidly. I don't mind a little gray but don't want to be a silver haired fox before I'm 50.

Any advice on hair coloring for men. What would be ideal is an over the counter product I could use to slowly get some of my original brown color back. I don't want to pay the extra money for regular trips to a stylists for cut and color. I have read how some products like Just for Men have some sort of metalic residue that is supposed to be very bad for your hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,830,490 times
Perhaps you don't realize just how sexy and appealing a silver-haired fox can be to women!

Old 08-12-2008, 12:42 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,881,697 times
DON'T DO IT... please... nothing looks sillier than a guy with white roots... not a good look...

Old 08-12-2008, 12:44 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,296,043 times
Whats worse:

Thin hair
or
silver hair

Dying can make some people get thin hair.
Rinse your hair in coffee. It will give your browns a rich tone and make the greys less stark. It wont be extreme either so you wont look like you have on a wig.

I think guys that dye thier hair end up looking like they have a wig on most of the time.
Its really not worth it at all unless you are going to be into touch ups.
Brown dye with growing out lighter roots makes you look thin/baldish too.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:00 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,385,577 times
I never trust a man with dyed hair. It always looks wrong, and it implies a lack of self-confidence and strength to me.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Whats worse:

Thin hair
or
silver hair

Dying can make some people get thin hair.
Rinse your hair in coffee. It will give your browns a rich tone and make the greys less stark. It wont be extreme either so you wont look like you have on a wig.

I think guys that dye thier hair end up looking like they have a wig on most of the time.
Its really not worth it at all unless you are going to be into touch ups.
Brown dye with growing out lighter roots makes you look thin/baldish too.
Full head of silver is definetly better than thin brown hair. I'm not looking for that helmet head, painted on hair look. Just want to have more brown and less grey. I do like coffee but I'm not sure about rinsing my head with it, if I try that one I'll let you know how it works out. Any other ideas for out there?

Old 08-12-2008, 05:02 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,881,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
Full head of silver is definetly better than thin brown hair. I'm not looking for that helmet head, painted on hair look. Just want to have more brown and less grey. I do like coffee but I'm not sure about rinsing my head with it, if I try that one I'll let you know how it works out. Any other ideas for out there?
IF you insist on actually doing this... try highlights instead of a full head of color... it won't be AS obvious when the roots grow in and it won't be as much of a SHOCK to everyone who knows you when they see it... highlights look much more realistic than a full dye job in my opinion.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 AM

5,404 posts, read 16,018,202 times
Just don't get in the habit for too long--when you hit 50, you're SUPPOSED to have some grey! We have 2 male friends who don't have a grey hair on their head, but their chest hair (with open collar shirts) tells the REAL tale! Everyone knows they dye and it becomes a huge joke! Touch up, if you must, but do leave some--it's a natural look!

Old 08-17-2008, 04:36 PM

Follow up to my hair coloring question. After much deliberation I went to the hair stylist yesterday and.... just got my hair cut. I couldn't bring myself to getting any kind of coloring. The one I was leaning towards was a product called "Camo Color" or something like that. Supposed to add just a little color to the greys and not be harsh on the hair. But at $25 for a treatment that only lasts for 4 to 6 weeks I didn't do it. Bottom line is that I'm too cheap. Actually after the hair cut I don't notice the greys so much, most of the grey hair is near my temples and and forehead and I had that cut a little closer. I just need to get my hair cut more often and get over the fact that I have grey hair. My standard answer when someone says "You sure are getting grey." is that a full head of grey hair is better than no hair.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:52 PM

303 posts, read 981,947 times
Default 53 and white haired

When I turned 19, I started getting white hairs in my otherwise jet black hair, I started dying it then and did regularly each time after a hair cut. I told myself that when I turned 50, I would stop dyeing it. Well, I quit at 48 and don't miss the hassel one bit at all,(not to mention the $$ saved.) I wish I would have never dyed it at all.The top of my head is mainly all white now and I am proud of it now! There is a time of course when a man needs to stop this process, in my opinion.

My favorite product was "Just for men", though my other was a ladies Lorelle brand,which lasted longer.

Last edited by Victor 13; 08-17-2008 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care