Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,507,311 times

Advertisements

I've been gearing up to purchase my first concealed, and I'm kind of curious where people decide to carry their handgun--I mean where on the body. And also some ideas on what to get.

I stand for six hours a day at work, and am sitting for about an hour and a half at most (mostly for a few moments at a time). I live 3.3 miles from my workplace, a five minute drive at most. Short stints, but I can't really remove what I'm carrying at work in order to sit. I'm trying to decide where a comfortable place to carry would be. Small of the back? Strong hip, weak hip? A crotch-holster? Where do you nuts carry these things?

Also, I'm trying to find a handgun I'd be comfortable carrying. I love the design of the Springfield XD Compact, but they're a tad large, as is the Smith and Wesson M&P9 Compact. I saw a Ruger LCP in .380 that looked great--slim and easy to tuck away, but I'm a little worried about the power of a .380 versus the 9mm. I spent a few hours at a gunshow here in Michigan a month back, and I also spotted a Bersa .380 "Concealed" model. single stack, and like the Ruger, extremely slim.

But I had honestly never heard of Bersa until that point, so I was a little hesitant.

But, it seems every 9mm I see is either double-stacked, or so bulky regardless that it'd be a little hard to conceal on myself without it printing. I'm only 5'7", 190, and nothing hides in my pockets well.

So, where do you guys carry?

Old 09-16-2011, 10:55 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,089,410 times
I carry on my strong hip, just behind the hip actually. I had a small-of-back holster and returned it immediately. I don't want a lump of steel sitting on my tail bone. I have a shoulder holster, too, but those don't conceal well.

Get a GOOD holster, don't be cheap. Order it to the make/model of your gun and pay around $75-$100. Don Hume makes an excellent leather one (the open-top) which is worn on the belt, outside the waistband. Blade-Tec makes a good IWB one out of kydex (a fancy word for plastic) and you could tuck a shirt in over it. These brands seem to offer the most value for the price. I prefer outside the waistband because your pants need an extra inch or two in the waistband to carry IWB. Most of the pants that I own actually fit.

You need to be looking at sub-compacts, not compacts. There are many to choose from, like Kahr CW9 or CW45, Glock 36 (which is a .45, I don't know what model would be the 9mm equivalent), Sig P250SC, or the many 1911 variants - Kimber is very popular, I carry a Colt New Agent.

Bersa is not a bad brand. They're kind of generic, like Taurus, and they make other companies' guns after the patents expires. Rossi is another one. They're fine if that's all you can afford - better than nothing, I suppose. I'd rather own one really nice gun than two cheap ones.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:11 AM

The Bersa I looked at did remind me of a ruger lcp, but only in its slim profile. I didn't look a close enough look to say much else.

Also, if it goes bang, why would I care if it costs 300 or 500? Serious question. As for holsteers, I met a guy at the gunshow, operates in Farmington Hills, MI, who sells holsters. He sees people to often come in and buy anything without actually knowing if it works. He started tailoringto people and helping them pick the right holster. If he knows his stuff, id probably go see him for the holster.

Also, sorry about any splling problems, this keyboard is tiny on my phone, and I'm on the can.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:21 AM

934 posts, read 1,941,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Also, if it goes bang, why would I care if it costs 300 or 500?
If you only want something to go bang, carry a firecracker.

A poor gun may go bang, but you won't want to carry it and you won't want to shoot it, which means you won't get the practice-practice-practice you need to ensure that you are carrying a tool that will help you in certain situations and not make things worse.

Don't CCW unless you are willing to put in the time/ammo to be proficient with your weapon. Just carrying a pistol does NOT automatically make you the master of any situation.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
If you only want something to go bang, carry a firecracker.

A poor gun may go bang, but you won't want to carry it and you won't want to shoot it, which means you won't get the practice-practice-practice you need to ensure that you are carrying a tool that will help you in certain situations and not make things worse.

Don't CCW unless you are willing to put in the time/ammo to be proficient with your weapon. Just carrying a pistol does NOT automatically make you the master of any situation.

That doesn't actually answer my question. why would I not want to carry it, or shoot it? id be more worried about feed problems, but a cheaper handgun doesn't neccesarily mean it won't go bang everytime.

I'm wondering if this is the same argument I had when I bought my car. Also, does that holster sit comfortably when you sit?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:09 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,644,249 times
Best advice I have heard.
Carrying a concealed weapon is not supposed to be comfortable. It is to be comforting.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:13 PM

46,329 posts, read 27,186,529 times
Quote:

Also, if it goes bang, why would I care if it costs 300 or 500? Serious question.
I know I'll catch **** for this......

But on this board, if it's not $1000 pistol...it's pretty much useless.....

or a Glock, or a Kimber......blah blah blah....

I'm with you, if it goes bang........

PSSSTttt....

I own a Hi- Point, (Not for CCW) and people here cringe every time I bring it up about how great it shoots.....

Oh yea, the more expensive the gun the better you shoot with or without practice....(that is a joke)

Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM

46,329 posts, read 27,186,529 times
Need to know a few things, how big are you, whats your stature....

I would look either at a Ruger LCP, or maybe even a small Makarov 9x18.

Those are 2 small pistols that I would look at, also depends on how big your hands are....

Have you went to a store and held any pistols? I would begin with that, find one that feels comfortable in your hands.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 PM

859 posts, read 2,831,719 times
Quote:
I've been gearing up to purchase my first concealed, and I'm kind of curious where people decide to carry their handgun--I mean where on the body. And also some ideas on what to get.

I stand for six hours a day at work, and am sitting for about an hour and a half at most (mostly for a few moments at a time). I live 3.3 miles from my workplace, a five minute drive at most. Short stints, but I can't really remove what I'm carrying at work in order to sit. I'm trying to decide where a comfortable place to carry would be. Small of the back? Strong hip, weak hip? A crotch-holster? Where do you nuts carry these things?

Also, I'm trying to find a handgun I'd be comfortable carrying. I love the design of the Springfield XD Compact, but they're a tad large, as is the Smith and Wesson M&P9 Compact. I saw a Ruger LCP in .380 that looked great--slim and easy to tuck away, but I'm a little worried about the power of a .380 versus the 9mm. I spent a few hours at a gunshow here in Michigan a month back, and I also spotted a Bersa .380 "Concealed" model. single stack, and like the Ruger, extremely slim.

But I had honestly never heard of Bersa until that point, so I was a little hesitant.

But, it seems every 9mm I see is either double-stacked, or so bulky regardless that it'd be a little hard to conceal on myself without it printing. I'm only 5'7", 190, and nothing hides in my pockets well.

So, where do you guys carry?
I carry a Sig 226 9mm with an inside the waist band holster at 4 o'clock position. I'm fortunate that I own my own business so I can legally carry as long as i'm on my property here in IL. I've had no comfort issues and I've often found that I forget i'm carrying it. I've hopped in and out of cars for short trips and don't even know it's there.

Since you are thin I would think that a 226 might be a bit thick for you to hide. Something along the lines of a Ruger LC9 can be hidden by just about anyone and it still holds 8 rounds of 9mm. As for the whole printing thing... I was concerned my first week then realized that no one even notices so I haven't cared one way or the other since then. The law states the gun must be covered. Doesn't say you have to hide it. People today carry so much crap on their belts that I'm sure anyone who sees it will simply think it a PDA, phone or some other useless piece of crap.

I do have a Utah carry permit so I can legally CC out of state. In all the years I've been carrying only one person ever noticed (at least said anything)the gun and she just smiled and said "thank you" and pointed to my side. I CC all day at my shop and deal with customers constantly. No one has ever noticed.

As for the LCP. We have one that my GF carriers. It's the largest caliber she is accurate with so that is what she carries. The .380 is more than capable IF you do your part. I'd rather her be able to hit the target with .380 than miss with 9mm.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,857,641 times
I tote a Sig 238 in a front pocket, and when possible my Wilson Combat Sentinel on my right hip, either IWB or OWB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting