Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,273,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I know I'll catch **** for this......

But on this board, if it's not $1000 pistol...it's pretty much useless.....

or a Glock, or a Kimber......blah blah blah....

I'm with you, if it goes bang........

PSSSTttt....

I own a Hi- Point, (Not for CCW) and people here cringe every time I bring it up about how great it shoots.....

Oh yea, the more expensive the gun the better you shoot with or without practice....(that is a joke)
My issue is smaller semi-Uris can be problematic. I'm not suggesting people spend a 1000.00 on a Kimber but they do make reliable and affordable compact firearms. Ruger's LCR and LCP for example. The LCR is a revolver and basically so is the LCP. The LCP is just like shooting a hamerless revolver but with a magazine and very accurate.

As for where to carry, think about ho you would respond to a threat, do you really want to bend down during an attack to dig a firearm out of your boot/ankle? So I would mount it some where easy to access. Also keep in mind your state laws, some states have laws against printing....meaning the shape of the firearm can be seen on the outside of your clothing.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:19 PM

46,325 posts, read 27,152,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
My issue is smaller semi-Uris can be problematic. I'm not suggesting people spend a 1000.00 on a Kimber but they do make reliable and affordable compact firearms. Ruger's LCR and LCP for example. The LCR is a revolver and basically so is the LCP. The LCP is just like shooting a hamerless revolver but with a magazine and very accurate.

As for where to carry, think about ho you would respond to a threat, do you really want to bend down during an attack to dig a firearm out of your boot/ankle? So I would mount it some where easy to access. Also keep in mind your state laws, some states have laws against printing....meaning the shape of the firearm can be seen on the outside of your clothing.
SVT, I have slept since then....I don't remember names....they know who they are.....I do know that In one thread I said practice, practice, practice and holy CRAP was I thrown under the bus.....that same phrase has been said many times by others....and nothing but crickets.....

Anyway...

Affordable is person dependent, but as I have said before, I have always been an off the wall gun owner....F.E.G, Hipoint, Rossi....things like that.

No doubt, smaller pistols have problems (what did you mean by semi-Uris?)

You have to learn your pistol, no doubt, figure out the ammo it likes and things like that.......

Quote:

Agree with the above....

Old 09-16-2011, 04:05 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,393,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
But, it seems every 9mm I see is either double-stacked, or so bulky regardless that it'd be a little hard to conceal on myself without it printing. I'm only 5'7", 190, and nothing hides in my pockets well.
Someone earlier mentioned the Kahr. They are single stack, very thin guns. There are stainless steel and lighter polymer versions of the same guns.

A Kahr with a hip holster with a forward cant will conceal quite easily and comfortably.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:09 PM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
I like this one

Old 09-16-2011, 04:11 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,273,095 times
Quote:
(what did you mean by semi-Uris?)
iPad strikes again...lol

Old 09-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
iPad strikes again...lol

Old 09-16-2011, 06:53 PM

934 posts, read 1,940,192 times
One place an ankle holster excels is when you are seated at a table. You can pull the pistol at a restaurant easily, very little shifting, with no one the wiser...

Old 09-16-2011, 08:39 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,505,516 times
Quote:
Need to know a few things, how big are you, whats your stature....
5'7", 190. I'm not thin, but I don't have any real bulk either. I have broad shoulders, which lends itself to increasing my mass without actually increasing my profile by that much. Because of my relatively small frame, I would never be able to hide a full-sized handgun, and I'm pretty sure even the "Compact" series of guns would be a tough sell. So, that's kind of why I'm looking at Sub-Compacts as well.

Quote:
I would look either at a Ruger LCP, or maybe even a small Makarov 9x18.
The Ruger is on my list, but I haven't even seen a Makarov. It's kind of a museum piece by now, isn't it?

Quote:
Those are 2 small pistols that I would look at, also depends on how big your hands are....
Somewhere between medium and "hand-model."

Quote:
Have you went to a store and held any pistols? I would begin with that, find one that feels comfortable in your hands.
Yeah, and the Compacts fit the palm pretty well, and I like that a lot of them have swappable backstraps. I didn't notice any of the Subs that had backstraps like that. I also wasn't comfortable with my pinky off the grip on most of the Sub-Compacts, but a lot of them came with or had available extended magazines with a pinky-grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
One place an ankle holster excels is when you are seated at a table. You can pull the pistol at a restaurant easily, very little shifting, with no one the wiser...
I could do the same with a cross-draw holster, without having to bend over to touch my ankle. The hip region seems the most sensible area to conceal it, but I'm worried about how comfortable it'll be to sit down. Once I find my gun, I can try out a number of positions to find out, but I'm curious about the popular ones first.

Also, does anyone here carry it in their crotch at all? I imagine an LCP would fit there.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
5'7", 190. I'm not thin, but I don't have any real bulk either. I have broad shoulders, which lends itself to increasing my mass without actually increasing my profile by that much. Because of my relatively small frame, I would never be able to hide a full-sized handgun, and I'm pretty sure even the "Compact" series of guns would be a tough sell. So, that's kind of why I'm looking at Sub-Compacts as well.
I'm 5'10", 210 with the same build...I would never carry a 1911 size pistol...

Quote:
The Ruger is on my list, but I haven't even seen a Makarov. It's kind of a museum piece by now, isn't it?
So is an M1, you are the one who said, as long as it goes BANG....and I agree with you....

Quote:
Also, does anyone here carry it in their crotch at all? I imagine an LCP would fit there.
I guess that would depend on what else you are packing...

Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,505,516 times
Quote:
I'm 5'10", 210 with the same build...I would never carry a 1911 size pistol...
And yet I see some people who do--some I'm sure are not very conscientious carriers, owning and carrying a 1911 solely for being a popular .45.

Then again, I've seen people who can hide them well, like the aforementioned gun-show vendor.

Quote:
So is an M1, you are the one who said, as long as it goes BANG....and I agree with you....
Good point, plus, carrying a Makarov would definitely be major style points.

Quote:
I guess that would depend on what else you are packing...
Dick jokes aside, it does seem like a pretty natural pocket. Then again, I've never shoved a loaded firearm down my pants either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting