Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 02:46 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,505,785 times

Advertisements

My CPL instructor was a nutcase, a retired state trooper, and absolutely hilarious. We covered a range of safety practices, and also gave us "tips" on making smart choices about carrying. It should go without saying, the smartest thing about carrying, is avoiding the situation of having to draw in the first place. He made the class enjoyable to take, had us do the required shooting tests, and then took volunteers to do some of the more practical shooting stances, including hiding behind a wall. It was interesting.

Where to carry wasn't brought up. My instructor had an ankle holster where he carried a hammerless revolver (missed the make and model). His regular gun was a Sig P226.

I work as a technician, and I'm constantly interfacing with clients, many new, both in the shop and on the road. I can't really carry anything big or open. I don't sit too often (on the road is maybe once a week), but when I do st, wuld prefer something comfortable.

What would be more comfortable? OWB or IWB?

Old 09-18-2011, 02:51 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,017,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
What would be more comfortable? OWB or IWB?
That depends on you, I can live with either one. Once you get used to something like the crossbread it's easy to forget it's there.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:42 PM

46,326 posts, read 27,157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

.22 - That's what people carry when they can't carry a gun. Seriously - I guess it's better than nothing, but I wouldn't want to use it for self defense.
And people wonder why sometimes I act a little pissy sometimes on this board...

Woman Kills Intruder With .22 | HillBuzz.org

Lets ask this guy, how he felt about being shot by a .22, oh wait HE IS DEAD..............

Yes, a .22 can kill someone.....will not be the first time and will not be the last..............

I have yet to hear anyone that has been shot that say's, Dude I was shot by a .45...and the other dude say's ahhhhhh, man I was only shot by a .22

Dead is dead, shot is shot.....how it happens.....

Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 PM

934 posts, read 1,940,321 times
Yes, there are cases where a grizzly bear was taken by a .22. That's why they are stories recounted decades after the fact. Anything's possible, just like the lottery.

Lay your bets as you like. Its your choice.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:06 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,821,003 times
Sig 2022 .40 cal.
Every day.....every place.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Yes, there are cases where a grizzly bear was taken by a .22. That's why they are stories recounted decades after the fact. Anything's possible, just like the lottery.

Lay your bets as you like. Its your choice.
Thank you for proving me correct......

And I'm sure you can provide a link to a .22 killing a grizzly....

Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Thank you for proving me correct......

Not sure anything was 'proved,' but sure, a .22 is better than a bottle rocket, or harsh language. But if the point of this thread is advice, and assuming that the advisee has availability to the standard range of calibers and pistols, then I would never advise someone to carry a .22 when there are better options (like, almost anything). But, if that somehow proved something to you, by all means....

Old 09-18-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

And I'm sure you can provide a link to a .22 killing a grizzly....
You win...wasn't a grizzly....it was a black bear. Sue me.

Quote:
Bear killed: Marquand man feared 400-lb. bear was going to attack dog

By SCOTT MOYERS ~ SEMO News Service
MARQUAND -- A 400-pound black bear was found dead Monday morning near Marquand, a day after it was shot three times by a resident who said he was afraid the bear was going to attack his dog.

Though it is illegal to kill black bears in Missouri, the man who shot the bear will not be charged because he was protecting his property, said Ken West, regional supervisor with the Missouri Department of Conservation in Cape Girardeau. The name of the man who killed the bear was unavailable Monday night.

The bear first showed up at the man's house, 3 miles south of Marquand near the Bollinger-Madison county line, on Saturday night, West said. The man ran the bear off Saturday night after it ripped boards off his shed to get to some animal feed.

Uncharacteristically, the bear returned Sunday night.

"Normally, once you run a bear off, he doesn't come back," West said. "But he came back. The guy tried to run it off again, but the bear apparently stood his ground."

The man said the bear stood up on its hind legs as the man's dog advanced. Standing up, the bear was 6 feet tall.

"He was afraid the bear was going to tear up his dog," West said. "So apparently he shot the bear three times."

The man used a .22-caliber rifle. The wounded bear ran into the woods, West said, and the man called the Bollinger County Sheriff's Department, which contacted the Department of Conservation.

The bear couldn't be located that night. The next morning, the man called the agency and said he'd found the bear dead 150 yards from the shed.

Monday morning, conservation agents retrieved the bear, a male, and stored the carcass in the walk-in freezer of a Fredericktown, Mo., taxidermist.

On Wednesday a member of the department's wildlife staff will transport the bear to Columbia, Mo., to be analyzed. The department will study stomach contents to see what it had eaten recently, take DNA samples and determine its age.

West said it's unusual for a bear sighting to end in a killing.

"He had damage to his property," he said. "We're confident this wasn't a case where the bear was just ambling by and he shot it."

West said agents had received reports of two black bears in that area during the past two or three weeks.

The black bear is the smallest bear in North America and the only one native to Missouri. Adult males generally weigh 200 to 600 pounds, and adult females weigh 100 to 300 pounds. Although most bears in Missouri are black, color varies from brown to blond.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Not sure anything was 'proved,' but sure, a .22 is better than a bottle rocket, or harsh language. But if the point of this thread is advice, and assuming that the advisee has availability to the standard range of calibers and pistols, then I would never advise someone to carry a .22 when there are better options (like, almost anything). But, if that somehow proved something to you, by all means....
Much was proven..,

what else have you provided besides...well. nothing except that a .22 will kill a grizzly, I even asked for a link that you should provide that would prove me wrong....

Advise would be "I would not carry a .22 because ________."

What you wrote was
Quote:
"Lay your bets as you like. Its your choice.
I guess that is AWESOME advice....

Old 09-18-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
You win...wasn't a grizzly....it was a black bear. Sue me.
Yep, no difference in a griz and a black bear....

Oh and never mind he was found THE NEXT DAY.....I guess that bear DID die from a .22.....

WOW amazing!!!

I guess a .22 could work on a person, if IT can kill a bear...even a black bear....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting