Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:41 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I cannot say I've ever seen a "hip swing" taught as part of the draw stroke. Sounds like someone needs formal training.
In his defense, Ayoob (mentioned above) encourages a type of hip swing, really a hip "rock" outwards to your weak side from your strong side, when drawing from a strong side holster in order to pull the gun out of the holster quicker and bring it on target from a closed garmit. In other words, you are not only pulling the gun out of the holster, but pulling the holster away from the gun and at the same time raising the gun up to eye level.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 PM

46,323 posts, read 27,157,406 times
I guess I cancel my new .22 mag (pistol) that holds 30 rounds because it does not have enough umphhhhhhhhhh............

I wonder how many people when they hear a shot just take of running....

Yes, the hard core drugged up/stoned out criminal, a .22 may not stop them....

I know people have seen the videos on TV, you know the hour long shows about stupid criminals....they go in the store all bad @ss....brandish the gun and low and behold the owner starts shooting and they don't stand there and fight...or say...oh, it's only a .22 the run like hell and maybe as they are running take a quick shot as they go out the door....

Look, I do not promote the .22 as a CCW for a 240 lbs 6' 6" guy...he can handle most anything...

A 5 ft woman, maybe not so much, what about an older weaker gentleman?

People are taking the .22 comments to another level....

Old 09-19-2011, 04:19 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,917,258 times
Beretta 92 compact in a Crossbreed Supertuck on my right hip. I'm 6' even, 230 lbs. I've had my former cop cousin-in-law ask if I was carrying. He couldn't tell by looking.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
In his defense, Ayoob (mentioned above) encourages a type of hip swing, really a hip "rock" outwards to your weak side from your strong side, when drawing from a strong side holster in order to pull the gun out of the holster quicker and bring it on target from a closed garmit. In other words, you are not only pulling the gun out of the holster, but pulling the holster away from the gun and at the same time raising the gun up to eye level.
I understand the theory of what you term the "hip swing" and the purpose of weighting in the pockets of outer garments for CCW. However, depending upon such inconsistent action rather than predictable action in moving the garment aside can create more problems than it solves. An instructor who correctly teaches the draw stroke would have shown you a more reliable way to move the garment out of the way. Sometime students miss things, did you, or as a student of Ayoob was the "hip swing" the only method you were taught?

I'd suggest you broaden your training horizons rather than just spouting off Ayoob's techniques as seemingly supreme. Ayoob is good to study when it comes to addressing the legal aspects in the use of lethal force; beyond that, not so much. YMMV

Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,013,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I guess I cancel my new .22 mag (pistol) that holds 30 rounds because it does not have enough umphhhhhhhhhh............

I wonder how many people when they hear a shot just take of running....

Yes, the hard core drugged up/stoned out criminal, a .22 may not stop them....

I know people have seen the videos on TV, you know the hour long shows about stupid criminals....they go in the store all bad @ss....brandish the gun and low and behold the owner starts shooting and they don't stand there and fight...or say...oh, it's only a .22 the run like hell and maybe as they are running take a quick shot as they go out the door....

Look, I do not promote the .22 as a CCW for a 240 lbs 6' 6" guy...he can handle most anything...

A 5 ft woman, maybe not so much, what about an older weaker gentleman?

People are taking the .22 comments to another level....
This .22 debate is really getting old. It comes up in far too many gun threads.

Here are the simple facts; Yes, .22s can kill. That said they are incapable of delivering enough force to rapidly disable a determined attacker. While you're waiting for said determined attacker to exsanguinate and wondering why the hyper lethal mouse gun failed to stop him he will be free to rain down hurt and violence on you and your loved ones. The rare exception to that fact being an incredibly well placed shot which is not at all likely under the stresses of a violent encounter.

A .22 is certainly better than nothing but it should not even enter into the discussion of a caliber to be used for defensive purposes.

If it would help keep the pointless caliber debates out of every gun thread I'd be happy to start a thread dedicated to endless regurgitation of marginally accurate facts for those that feel compelled to post them. Here's a link to the endless caliber debate thread; https://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-...l#post20951483

(ETA; Sorry Chuck, not trying to single you out. Just quoted the most recent caliber debate post.)

Last edited by outbacknv; 09-19-2011 at 08:01 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I cannot say I've ever seen a "hip swing" taught as part of the draw stroke. Sounds like someone needs formal training.
May I humbly recommend Bill Jordan's (William H. Jordan) "No Second Place Winner". That is from his chapter on fast draw techniques. To save you a Google, he was a famous lawman and the quick draw master of an earlier age.

Last edited by Bideshi; 09-19-2011 at 10:24 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yes but Ayoob also wrote that "Small caliber weapons simply don't have the 'oomph' to stop a violent human being....I personally draw the line above the marginal 380 ACP and consider the minimums to be 38 special in +P in a revolver and 9mm Luger in semiautomatic pistol" in his The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry
It is interesting that the .32 ACP was the accepted police round in Europe for almost 100 years. In America the .380 is considered marginal ( I know a person who hunts deer with a .375 H&H). Bigger is better if you are competent and confident with it, and you have it with you , no doubt. Still, I think we are a bit caliber happy in America. With concealed weapons, size is paramount and compromise is necessary. In the WW1 trenches, the favorite hidden back up was the .25 ACP Baby Browning. My favorite PPK/S is actually a bit bulky compared to other newer choices, but I've had it for over 20 years and am confident with it. It's DA and hits what I point it at.

Last edited by Bideshi; 09-19-2011 at 11:11 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 03:43 AM

It's a pity that the Diamondback 9mm is proving unreliable. The design concept is great.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:53 AM

46,323 posts, read 27,157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
This .22 debate is really getting old. It comes up in far too many gun threads.

Here are the simple facts; Yes, .22s can kill. That said they are incapable of delivering enough force to rapidly disable a determined attacker. While you're waiting for said determined attacker to exsanguinate and wondering why the hyper lethal mouse gun failed to stop him he will be free to rain down hurt and violence on you and your loved ones. The rare exception to that fact being an incredibly well placed shot which is not at all likely under the stresses of a violent encounter.

A .22 is certainly better than nothing but it should not even enter into the discussion of a caliber to be used for defensive purposes.

If it would help keep the pointless caliber debates out of every gun thread I'd be happy to start a thread dedicated to endless regurgitation of marginally accurate facts for those that feel compelled to post them. Here's a link to the endless caliber debate thread; https://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-...l#post20951483

(ETA; Sorry Chuck, not trying to single you out. Just quoted the most recent caliber debate post.)
I don't threat when people quote me like some do....

All I'm saying is that if that is ALL you have, why not use the .22.

I just don't agree with the way some people think...no matter what, if it's not a .45 then it's just useless...I don't agree with that theroy....

Anyway, people have been killed with the little .22 and NOT been killed with a .45.....

Old 09-20-2011, 08:33 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,091,844 times
Come on folks. We've got to stop making EVERY thread into the Great Debates over what cartridge and what gun.

The op posted a simple question. What and where do you carry? Not asking for a debate over cartridge.

Let's stay on track so that every thread is not the same. We have a thread on cartridges.

Also, I know that everybody is very passionate about what they carry and why. But that is not a reason to tell me that I am wrong for what I carry. You have no idea of my hand size, my abilities, or my conditions. Let's keep the discussion going without trying to belittle somebody else for their choices. It's ok to say, "I wouldn't for this reason," but it is not ok to say, "Your a fool for carrying that weapon."

Let's get back on track.

Thanks.

ElkHunter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting