Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:52 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,720 times

Advertisements

Thanks m3 mitch; we're going to make up 5 or so rounds at each charge till we get to a good one to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:30 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think Jimbo is onto the right answer - apparently the handloads are not generating enough recoil impulse to operate the slide fully. A heavier bullet, and/or a heavier charge of (slower burning) powder may help.

If you can set up to load at the range, a good way to work up a load in an automatic pistol is to increase the powder charge (not to exceed maximum) and load one round at a time, when your powder charge is just adequate that the slide locks open after every round, you have a "perfect" charge in terms of operating the slide - enough recoil to work it, but no excess to batter the mechanism.
Hmmm, methinks I concure. I had an issue similar to this loading for my buddy's XD .45. A load I have used for years in my 1911, with raving success, would not run in the Springy. The XD had far to stiff a recoil spring, which I failed to take into account, and most tupperware guns I have handled are the same in this respect. They come sprung for defensive style full power + loads as most guns of this type are destined to be used for HD or duty weapons. That said, just as I did with my 1911, they can be sprung down for use with lighter target loads. I must have at least a half dozen recoil springs of varying tension in my bench box. So, ifn you wish to use lighter loads for practice in the guns you mention Barb, finding springs to match should not be an issue. Brownells is a good source for such things and there are myriad other suppliers as well.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 AM

NVplumber, question about your friend's xd 45, my husband is thinking of buying a XDM 45 and wants to reload for it. What lb. spring did you find worked best with reloads. What type of bullet is your friend using? Thanks so much for all this help.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
NVplumber, question about your friend's xd 45, my husband is thinking of buying a XDM 45 and wants to reload for it. What lb. spring did you find worked best with reloads. What type of bullet is your friend using? Thanks so much for all this help.
Hey Barb. His XD came sprung at24 pnds. Heavy. He wanted to run a 200 fr semi wadcutter with 4.5 gr of 231 which is a load I run for steel plates in my 1911. Im sprung at 16 and it runs great but he hasn't re done his XD az yet. I had to go to 5.3 grs to run his gun with this bullet. A full power load but not max at all. Still runs in my piece and cycles his very well. I like 231..great powder. Data for it can vary quite widely twixt manuals and I do mean widely. Speer and Hodgedon list min/max charges almost 2 grs apart.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:33 AM

CQBE45, not messing with the recoil springs. Husband is going to put more factory rounds thru both of them to see if that makes a difference down the line. I read you need to break in with a minimum of 500-600 rounds.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:35 AM

45 posts, read 100,669 times
Aside from voiding your warranty by shooting reloads, you'd want to mimic factory ammunition as much as possible. I know that everyone is the exception and that their reloads are better then anyone else's. The fact remains that you can't duplicate factory process.

Cast bullets can work fine, but it is rare to find the shooter that knows how to clean a gun after using cast bullets. One national sporting good store chain stopped carrying lead cleaning equipment because no one every bought it. Most reloaders, when asked how they clean out the lead residue from a barrel, have no idea on effective methods.

By the time one spends effort and $$ on getting reloads to work, they'd just as soon been shooting factory ammunition.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQBE45 View Post
Don't ever shoot lead in a GLOCK or HK factory barrel!!!
Lol....true enough. Makes a case for the 1911. The 45 ACP and cast bullets go together like hot wings and cold beer. So much for the "advantage" of technology. Very rarely in almost 3 decades of familiarity with ye ol ACP have I used anything but cast. Guess im a lil....backward that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting