Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:01 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,283,796 times

Advertisements

We have a Dillon Square Deal B press set up for 45 acp.

Presently, we reload Nozzler 185 grain JHP.

If we were to use semi-wadcutters, do we have to make changes to the length, crimp, etc.?

Also, what's a good bullet comparable to the Nozzler. My husband is looking for accuracy at 25 and 50 yards. What would you suggest? He doesn't like to use lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:34 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,636,358 times
Your powder load will drop to around half for wad cutters.
Do not experiment, buy a good book and run a few thousand rounds before you deviate.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:39 AM

Thanks ferretkona for the advice.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,886,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
We have a Dillon Square Deal B press set up for 45 acp.

Presently, we reload Nozzler 185 grain JHP.

If we were to use semi-wadcutters, do we have to make changes to the length, crimp, etc.?

Also, what's a good bullet comparable to the Nozzler. My husband is looking for accuracy at 25 and 50 yards. What would you suggest? He doesn't like to use lead.
The best way to check the seating depth/overall cartridge length is to consult the reloading manual for that bullet weight and type.

I know Hornady makes very good 45 ACP bullets of different types and weights, I use the 200-grain hollow-points for my Model 1911 in that caliber and I get excellent accuracy using Accurate Arms Number 5 powder, and Winchester Large Pistol primers. I don't have the powder weight for that load, but I'm sure it's in the reloading manual.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:00 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,140,955 times
.45 ACP gets a taper crimp if it gets any crimp, basically you will just have to adjust seating depth (and of course powder charge).

The H&G 68 cast 200 grain bullet is about the most popular, (realizing you said you didn't want to go there) and I have used it with IIRC 3.5 grains of Bullseye powder for a "softball" load in the Gold Cup.

Adjusting seating depth is typically just to get the bullet a few thousandths off the start of the rifling lede. You may want to do that with just the barrel of the pistol in your hand, seat the bullet partially, try it in the barrel, push the bullet into the case in small increments till it chambers fully and easily.

Not sure why you would not want to use a cast lead bullet, you can buy them in bulk if you don't want to make your own. The .45 ACP is a great cast bullet round.

If you can shoot well enough that the bulk pack cast bullets don't let you reach your potential score, you are good indeed.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:28 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,988,385 times
Full wad cutters, or semi wad cutters? Not that many 45's will feed flat faced wad cutters well. Newer 45's don't seem to want to feed anything not well rounded with out the chamber face relived which is tricky.

I have a WW-2 vintage Remington Rand with a Viet Nam Colt barrel in it I think, which eats about any old fodder, but my Kimber sure won't.

Car wheel weights are antimony and casting these are the way i go for casting modern ammo's, and i use real lead for casting round ball for my flinters.

Buying .600 and .735 rb is cost prohibitive..

I would refrain from crimping, but size the cases instead. Only crip if you find slugs coming loose in the mags..

Casting either metal, air should be moving away from the one casting, and be sure not one drop of water can enter the pot. I had one accident once. One drop of water formed on the point of a nail way up high in a barn I was casting in and that drop of water emptied the pot Right Now. Fortunately for me i had just been called to the phone. That didn't stop me from casting, I just look up now.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,928,657 times
Actually, don't crimp a .45ACP in the conventional sense at all. The .45ACP "headspaces" on it's forward cartridge mouth edge, so if you roll-crimp it, the round may very well sort of fall in to the chanber a tiny bit, to the point that it won't support the correct length-ways positioning of the round, and the round may not fire.

So: in order (ahna one, ahna two...):

1: check the exact length of your fired or new cartridges. Maybe send them all through the cartridge length-sizing lathe. Remember; you only have to do this one time to assure perfect cartridge lengths. BUT: Do NOT under-size them length-wise!!

2. load your chosen bullet as per other's advice here, just off the rifling is often best for target work, but remember; the .45ACP is primarily a battle cartridge, and should be free to chamber in your gun without too tight a fit. Tight fit + heat + soot = jams. Ooops!

3. Taper-crimp (i.e.: this type of crimp sort of squeezes the front 1/8" end of the brass down without rolling it into any bullet grooves. A nice tight fit is all you want.) Only about $10 here:

CRIMP DIES - Taper Crimp Die .45 ACP

Test fire about 20 - 30 rounds made up in your favorite recipe, checking for full functionality, esp when the gun barrel warms up.

Adjust as necessary, then load up about 2 - 3,000 rounds, minimum, and have fun. Rock and Roll, baby!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:39 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,652,523 times
Truthfully Barb, the .45 ACP and cast bullets go together like cold beer and hot chicken wings. I have had my best accuracy results in the ACP with hard cast. Specifically a 200 gr SWC over faster powders like W231 and Bullseye. Seating depth will always vary a few .000ths twixt different bullets, and jacketed to cast powder charges vary a bunch. My favorite jaceted acurracy bullet is the Sierra 200 gr FPJ. I also use this in the .45 Colt. When you get to your local shooters shack, get every manual you can find, as funds allow. One can never have to much reference material when it comes to reloading.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 AM

Thanks NVplumber. Do you buy your cast bullets? If yes, what brand?

Last edited by 46Barb; 04-09-2010 at 07:35 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,652,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Thanks NVplumber. Do you buy your cast bullets? If yes, what brand?
Yes, I buy them in bulk from a local plant in Carson City. Xtreme Bullets. Laser Cast out of Oregon is a good make too. I've been hearing good things about Montana Bullets as well, though I have never shot them myself. As much as I put downrange (or did before the primer crunch anyway) shooting jacketed, exclusively, is cost prohibitave. I do use them for my warmer stuff, for my Marlin 94 mainly. I pump them up a touch for spanking yotes and feral dogs, and the aforementione Sierra or the Hornady XTP are my top picks for this application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting