Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 12:19 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
They just remodeled the Arby's at Verdae Village. Very nice.
Nice to here their decor is nice. But there roast beef is just not as good as Roy Rogers.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
locally owned and operated technology services center, Gizmo Bar, is coming to downtown Greenville. Shaun P. Robertson, a Greenville native and entrepreneur, is bringing the technology and lounge hybrid to Greenville with plans to open this July. The interactive technology retail space will offer face-to-face smartphone and tablet repair in a lounge-style environment, craft brew and a modified selection of appetizers and sushi from Sushi Go.
The concept will be located in a 19,000-square-foot multitenant building at 245 N. Main St. Gizmo Bar will join tenants Spencer Hines Properties, Equip Studio and The Upper Room.

More at
Tech bar concept to open in downtown Greenville - Upstate Business Journal

Old 06-02-2016, 10:56 AM

94 posts, read 111,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Nice to here their decor is nice. But there roast beef is just not as good as Roy Rogers.
I tend to look at them as two completely different things. To me, they are so different that they shouldn't be compared. Kind of like Papa John's. I would only compare them to places like Domino's, Pizza Hut, and Little Caesars. I would never sit there and compare it to a true NY style pizza shop, or a traditional Neapolitan or Roman style pizza made in a brick oven. While I can enjoy each of them for their own merits, they are completely different animals. I love a good Roy Rogers Roast Beef from the rest area on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, but I also can't get enough of Arby's Beef & Cheddar.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:26 PM

Well Arby's and Roy Rogers have always been the 2 major roast beef sandwich chains so I think they are a bit more comparable. And at one time Roy Rogers had some 650 locations on the East Coast and Midwest before Marriott sold out to Hardee's. Plus Roy Rogers was also comparable to KFC as a chicken chain, but was a step above McDonald's as a burger joint. And on another note, some of those travel plaza locations on the various turnpikes may not be as good as the freestanding stores, but glad to hear the Pa. locations you visited were good.

But I know some folks also enjoy Arby's, so I do not mean to criticize them. Lets just say I would also like to see a Roy Rogers, although if they do decide to return to the Carolinas I would probably expect to see them return to Greensboro, Raleigh or Charlotte first in NC. As they are closer to Virginia and perhaps more potential transplanted customers from the Mid Atlantic and Northeast.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:54 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
But I know some folks also enjoy Arby's, so I do not mean to criticize them. Lets just say I would also like to see a Roy Rogers, although if they do decide to return to the Carolinas I would probably expect to see them return to Greensboro, Raleigh or Charlotte first in NC. As they are closer to Virginia and perhaps more potential transplanted customers from the Mid Atlantic and Northeast.
Were they ever in the Carolinas? I had never heard of them until I moved to VA.

BTW.. Old Handlebar location plans have been revealed.

Details of old Handlebar building’s future revealed | Local News - WYFF Home

Bowling alley/bar/event venue.. Which.. Actually seems like a pretty good idea, I think.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Were they ever in the Carolinas? I had never heard of them until I moved to VA.

Bowling alley/bar/event venue.. Which.. Actually seems like a pretty good idea, I think.
Yes Roy Rogers had a popular location in Greensboro until the mid 90's on High Point Highway down near the Coliseum. It converted to Hardee's and eventually closed. And earlier they had locations in Raleigh but I am not sure about Charlotte. They also had locations on the Florida Turnpike between Orlando and Miami, as well as the West Virginia Turnpike. They also had Midwest locations in places such as Ohio and Indiana, and of course Virginia, Maryland, DC, PA, New Jersey and New York. So they were quite popular back in the day.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:44 AM

292 posts, read 344,251 times
Quote:
Well Arby's and Roy Rogers have always been the 2 major roast beef sandwich chains so I think they are a bit more comparable.

Once upon a time there was a roast beef fast food chain called Rax Roast Beef. They were really good, and during their heyday I thought they were better than Arby's. But they have all but vanished now.

Five Chains That Suffered Spectacular Declines - Restaurant Industry Insight, News and Analysis - March 2014

Old 06-03-2016, 07:41 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
Once upon a time there was a roast beef fast food chain called Rax Roast Beef. They were really good, and during their heyday I thought they were better than Arby's. But they have all but vanished now.

Five Chains That Suffered Spectacular Declines - Restaurant Industry Insight, News and Analysis - March 2014
Yes there were a couple of Rax locations here briefly in Greenville and one in Anderson I believe toward the end of their decline. Bennigans's from that list was here as well across from Haywood.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:05 PM

446 posts, read 414,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Still so sad. The Handlebar was a great music venue and Greenville is sorely missing a venue of its size. Would love to see an indoor venue even a little larger -- like the Filmore in Charlotte (and, yes, I now the Peace Center is similar size wise, but it's not inviting for rock acts in particular).

Old 06-03-2016, 04:16 PM

69 posts, read 73,605 times
Does anyone know what is being put in place of the old Sonic location on Wade Hampton in Taylors in front of the Publix and the old Office Depot location? The earth has been levelled but no signage to suggest what it might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area