Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
So will Starbucks. I don't care about growth, I care about "smart growth". A Walmart every 10 minutes and a Starbucks every 3 miles is not "smart growth"? Agreed?
I haven't shopped at a Walmart in several years now. I am not a fan at all, so I am definitely not trying to support them here at all. However, I will say that only they can determine what is "smart growth." If both stores run positive and make a profit in a reasonable amount of time that offsets the costs to open a new location, that is "smart growth" from Walmarts own financial perspective, regardless of how it seems to an outsider.

That being said, definitely no excitement from me for seeing a new Walmart around town. To each their own though.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,101,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I haven't shopped at a Walmart in several years now. I am not a fan at all, so I am definitely not trying to support them here at all. However, I will say that only they can determine what is "smart growth." If both stores run positive and make a profit in a reasonable amount of time that offsets the costs to open a new location, that is "smart growth" from Walmarts own financial perspective, regardless of how it seems to an outsider.

That being said, definitely no excitement from me for seeing a new Walmart around town. To each their own though.
You make good points. I guess I'm just not a fan of over saturation, regardless of it's a Walmart or Starbucks.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
You make good points. I guess I'm just not a fan of over saturation, regardless of it's a Walmart or Starbucks.
Don't worry: I agree with you there. I was just trying to speak subjectively

Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM

505 posts, read 940,890 times
and I agree with you both. I think any retailer makes the decision based on $, not on whether someone thinks there are too many of the stores in a region. If the $ keep coming in, they will keep growing.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 PM

170 posts, read 356,014 times
Here's an idea. Why don't they build out on Laurens Road where they used to have a store and a Sam's Club. There are all kinds of big ole empty buildings and worlds of parking out there I just do not understand why WalMart got past the zoning commission when Kohl's couldn't a few years back. This is going to make an already dangerous stretch of road worse. I do wonder what our planning commission and zoning commission are thinking. I suppose they think they did such a good job with Woodruff Road they'd do it all over again on 291.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:57 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,020,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCGirl View Post
Here's an idea. Why don't they build out on Laurens Road where they used to have a store and a Sam's Club. There are all kinds of big ole empty buildings and worlds of parking out there I just do not understand why WalMart got past the zoning commission when Kohl's couldn't a few years back. This is going to make an already dangerous stretch of road worse. I do wonder what our planning commission and zoning commission are thinking. I suppose they think they did such a good job with Woodruff Road they'd do it all over again on 291.
I personally don't see whats wrong with it. That stretch near Cherrydale is already a retail area with 6 lanes. I think a Walmart at Cherrydale will not generate much more traffic than already exist because it is more a neighborhood thing now to have one. Its not really going to pull new traffic in from other parts of town.It will keep people who live in the North Main, DT and surrounding area from having to drive out to Woodruff or Taylors for everything. If more retailers(like Target,Whole Foods,Trader Joes) would do the same it would cut down on trips to Woodruff Rd for folks who live in the central part of town. I agree about Kohls. They should have been approved in that same spot several years ago. I think Walmart will eventually find its spot too between the Laurens Rd/Augusta Rd side of DT also.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Verdae bought those buildings.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
and dont forget their new grocery in between near the recently closed Kmart on Wade Hampton. I would bet they have more Greenville annoucements forthcoming. They have sort of built around the edges of Greenville in past 15 years and kind of ignored the central parts of the city. Kind of infill for them I guess. Not everyone has moved to the burbs and any jobs are a good thing. Now get busy Target with your Greenville expansion.
I just remembered they're also building one across from Publix and Furman. UGH.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:10 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:
What Sophiasmommy said, demographics, and because residents fought tooth and nail over that Kohl's but not Walmart for some odd reason.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,020,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
What Sophiasmommy said, demographics, and because residents fought tooth and nail over that Kohl's but not Walmart for some odd reason.
That, I didn't understand. You are already living in the middle of a retail area with a stinky KFC in front of you. The Kohls would have replaced what was a busy auto dealer with a noisy body shop and repair center behind it. I think I would have rather had the Kohls or Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area