Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times

Advertisements

Closed over the last few weeks:

Borders (tenant space getting filled)
Hair Plus (rumored to be part of new apple store)
Aveda
Marble Slab
Eddie Bauer (tenant space getting filled)

What's going on here? As the only mall in the county, you would think the mall wouldn't have any empty spaces but yet it somehow keeps gaining them. Is it the rent rates are too high? The Shops at Greenridge doesn't seem to be doing this bad and it continues to gain tenants. Yeah, Haywood Mall is getting Apple but the number of closings far outweighs the number of openings.

Last edited by g-man430; 02-01-2010 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Closed over the last few weeks:

Borders (tenant space getting filled)
Hair Plus (rumored to be part of new apple store)
Aveda
Marble Slab
Eddie Bauer (tenant space getting filled)

What's going on here? As the only mall in the county, you would think the mall wouldn't have any empty spaces but yet it somehow keeps gaining them. Is it the rent rates are too high? The Shops at Greenridge doesn't seem to be doing this bad and it continues to gain tenants. Yeah, Haywood Mall is getting Apple but the number of closings far outweighs the number of openings.
Well considering Borders (Waldenbooks) and Eddie Bauer are both in financial troubles as companies and closing stores around the country, there is half your answer.

I'd look at who is opening, Haywood continues to go upscale....Apple, a new replacement Panera, and two upcoming announcements that will surprise you (in a good way).

Old 02-01-2010, 09:19 AM

Woah, what's this about the last one? You mean we're not done getting high-end tenants yet?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
I have to say, all the changes I've seen/heard about lately have been positive. Didn't know about Aveda and Marble Slab, though...

Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Woah, what's this about the last one? You mean we're not done getting high-end tenants yet?
Expect another couple of announcements as the mall juggles space. One is a ladies brand that is very recognizable....the other is a general upscale casual brand from what I hear. Once Apple signs on to a mall, it works wonders for bringing in other retailers.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 AM

A ladies brand? What am I going to do there? Maybe Greenville can shop there or something. LOL.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,757,407 times
In light of the overall bleak economy, I am grateful more stores have not closed. Have you been to the mall since Christmas? The traffic is way down, even from what it was in the fall of 2009. Based on that, I expect a few more stores to close. I hope not, but we should not be surprised to hear of a store closing.

Last edited by furmanpals; 02-01-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 02-01-2010, 11:30 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,965 times
Ok now Aveda is closing......was just in the Haywood mall at Aveda during my last visit to Greenville in December. Love their products!!!

From what I have heard from SC natives most of the progress in Greenville happened within the last 10-15 years.....hope all of this bad news is not a sign that Greenville is reverting back to the way it used to be. Having some upscale stores is one of the good things that sets Greenville apart from other similar southern towns.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM

47 posts, read 127,623 times
Haywood Mall is in pretty good shape. I was just there yesterday and it was packed. Actually, pretty much whenever I go it's packed.

The empty store fronts won't last long, new tenants will come in.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Two new places have opened in the food court. Darn, the closings are over. I went to the mall this afternoon to buy a new pair of shoes at Finish Line. I was actually suprised how crowded it was. Almost looked like a weekend rather than a weekday crowd. Must have been from all of the school/business closings from the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area