Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 10:00 AM

347 posts, read 980,298 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place for my 14 year old step-son to do some volunteering. Preferably working with a food shelter or a place that helps the homeless and needy.
The problem is, everything I can find either has a minimum age of 16, or is only available during the hours he's in school.

Does anyone know of any volunteer opportunities for a 14 year old to do after school?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:23 PM

99 posts, read 322,930 times
check out the Key Club at his school, they may be a good starting point, the greenville humane society takes 14 yr olds, they must take a volunteer initiation program they run first, my child did it and enjoyed this alot.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:26 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,487 times
Why couldn't he go into a local nursing home and read to someone who no longer can read themselves? Or heck, just keep one of the residents company. There are a lot of people in nursing homes who don't get many/any visitors.

It might do him a lot of good, and what senior citizen doesn't love to have a new audience for their stories!?

Old 09-10-2009, 04:09 PM

47 posts, read 121,918 times
My son is 14 also and he does work once a month at a soup kitchen, around christmas time he also helps to wrap gifts for the salvation army.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:39 PM

347 posts, read 980,298 times
Thank you all for your suggestions. My goal is to hopefully help him become a little bit more appreciative of what he has. He's been getting into trouble lately and nothing is working (i.e. grounding, reasoning, taking away privileges), so I thought adding in some community service could be a constructive consequence for his actions.
When I was in my late teens I started working in a soup kitchen and it really changed my perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area